• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2500 double blender (competitive)

(-66/511) Vampire Lord (General): Ogre Blade; Talisman of Preservation; Charmed Shield; Quickblood; Red Fury; Beguile; Level 3 Wizard; heavy armour; Hellsteed
(-76/559) Vampire Lord: The Other Trickster's Shard; Obsidian Blade; Dragonhelm; Dawnstone; Red Fury; Quickblood; Beguile; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Shadow; heavy armour; shield; Hellsteed

(-5/255) 45 Skeleton Warriors: Skeleton Champion; musician; standard bearer
(-5/250) 44 Skeleton Warriors: Skeleton Champion; musician; standard bearer
(-2/40) 5 Dire Wolves
(-2/40) 5 Dire Wolves
(-2/40) 5 Dire Wolves

(-10/194) 4 Vargheists: Vargoyle
(-10/194) 4 Vargheists: Vargoyle
(-13/210) 6 Hexwraiths: Hellwraith

(-30/225) 1 Terrorgheist

2,498 points
Swedish -221 (7.9)

Here's a list I threw together in light of the new FAQ.

Idea is for a speedy, maneuverable flanking force led by the two Hellsteed vamps.

Shadow will be used to debuff stuff the vargs are fighting, pit ogres and trolls, or mind razor the vargs. Vampires will give rerolls mostly, and keep everyone healed up.

Don't like that the list doesn't have a scroll, but I don't want to sacrifice any room on my blenders for it so oh well.

Hex wraiths replaced a third unit of vargs. Figured they'd draw attention away from my vampires and give them look out sirs.

Thoughts?

EDIT: edited the list above to reflect its score under Swedish Comp. Comes in at a respectable 7.9. Not too shabby, I suppose.

Last edited:

Alastor

Black Knight
Looks solid. Varghiests work perfectly well in 3's in my experience so is probably drop one of each and either buff the hexies up to 8 to give them a bit if extra survivability or try and fit in another unit of something Killy and distracting.

Also, remember that the hexies lose a lot if their utility if your vamps join them.

Looks solid. Varghiests work perfectly well in 3's in my experience so is probably drop one of each and either buff the hexies up to 8 to give them a bit if extra survivability or try and fit in another unit of something Killy and distracting.

Also, remember that the hexies lose a lot if their utility if your vamps join them.
1) Vampires actually can't join Hex Wraiths at all, being ethereal. By "give the Vampires a Look Out Sir!" I'm talking about the one you get for being next to a unit with the same type. Both hellsteed vampires and hex wraiths are cavalry, so you get the Look Out Sir! against cannons. I'll also be using my terrorgheist as a meat shield against those lists, though.

2) I've tried running vargheists in 3s and they just don't cut it. Smart players know to try and drag them down with shooting so I'll generally lose one or two before they hit combat. With 3 that means going in with 1-2 vargs, which just isn't enough. 4 means 2-3, which is better.

I run mine in a 2x2 cube, which I've found to be the best formation for them. Small frontage (80mm), without sacrificing many attacks (just 1 attack each plus a stomp). Well worth the reduced number of incoming attacks, not to mention the extra mobility. The champion also lets you use challenge shenanigans to reduce the frontage of the unit even further.

3) As for boosting the hexxies...I'm of two minds on that. I've tried running them as an 8 and found that people just blasted them away. They become too much of a target at that point. My hope is that 6 is small enough to escape notice, or enough of a threat that they'll pull hate away from my vampires for long enough to get them into combat.

Personally I'm also a bigger fan of units of 4 vargheists than I am of hex wraiths. They've let me down every time I run them. Their one upside is that they're better against armour, but that's mitigated by all the armour with magic attacks (heroes, skull crushers, chaos knights, on and on it goes). Plus with Mindrazor I'm hoping that I might be able to push Occams through and turn the vargheists into can openers.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Alastor

Black Knight
1) you are correct, my apologies. I knew what you meant by give them a LOS, I just couldn't see where else your blenders would go in the list to not get murdered at a distance. If your plan is to use a TG meat shield, that's cool.

2) I think your list has enough higher priority distance targets for three Vargs to get into combat reliably. People (at least around my neck of the woods) tend to go for the dogs when they vanguard into their face and then go for lords/screamers.

3) I have quite a but of success with my Hexies, they don't tend to get much hate early on and earn their points for me as long as I use their speed to be able to choose targets. They are, at worst, going to soak up some magic for a turn but at best going to cause some decent havoc amongst enemy units.

As I said, yours is a solid list I feel my suggestions might just be due to differences in our metas.

1) Against cannons they'll have a terrorgheist meat shield and the hex wraiths to catch bullets for them. They're also pretty small so can hide behind hills/buildings/impassable/fences. Vargheists are also halfway decent at catching cannonballs, and the more vulnerable vampire has a 2++ against flaming to use against skillcannons or certain runed dwarf cannons.

It is my biggest fear, TBH. An empire light council with 3 cannons would wreck this list. Fortunately I don't actually see as many cannons around as you'd think, since everyone is playing elves these days. For instance, in my next tournament (Ham Slamwich in Bellingham, WA) out of 30 players there are...2 skaven players, 3 empire players, 3 demon players, one ogre and one dwarf. Skaven cannons aren't very good at character sniping so let's count them out, and that gives 8 opponents out of 29 who have access to cannons that threaten my Vampires. 5, really, since the demon cannons can't hurt my dragonhelm dude. I'm willing to roll the dice on those odds, given that the cannons still have to hit and wound to get to me, after getting through my terrorgheist first.

2) They would, but my vargs will be in a flanking force so the dogs will probably get ignored since their chaffing won't be accomplishing as much as when I had a GG brick in there. They're mostly in the list for dead drops, warmachine hunting, or setting up multi-combats. Perhaps parking a vampire in there for a round to suck up some shooting before he charges out.

3) We must play in very different metas then, as the last time I brought hex wraiths to a tournament they didn't last past turn two in a SINGLE game. No word of a lie. First game they got blasted off with an IF fiery convocation. Second game with doombolt. Third game with tzeentch magic. Fifth game they got charged by a demon prince. The only game they did much of anything was the fourth game, where they tried to terror-bomb a brick of 100 gnoblars off the board, got stuck in combat instead, whiffed, and died to SCR (seriously...didn't hit a single bloody time).

However, I'm hoping that with the solo hellsteed vampires they'll do better. It'll give them more room to maneuver, and catching cannonballs is an important task for them. Especially given how many cannons aren't magical these days.

Banat

Varghulf
Mine's very similar only:

Lords are Lvl2 Wizards.
Lord #1 uses Rizzo's loadout (Great Weapon, Trickster's Helm, Beguile, Aura, RF, Tali Pres)
Lord #2 is same as your second one.

Cairn Wraith (In the Screaming Standard Skelly unit to benefit most from terror).

Lvl2 Necro on Invocation duty for the skeletons.

2x 5 Hexwraiths
2x 3 Vargheists

Between the two lords and four fast attack units there's plenty of target saturation.

This list leaves just enough points boost a wizard level wherever I may want it, or take a Banshee instead of the Cairn Wraith if I'm going against low leadership armies.

Mine's very similar only:

Lords are Lvl2 Wizards.
Lord #1 uses Rizzo's loadout (Great Weapon, Trickster's Helm, Beguile, Aura, RF, Tali Pres)
Lord #2 is same as your second one.

Cairn Wraith (In the Screaming Standard Skelly unit to benefit most from terror).

Lvl2 Necro on Invocation duty for the skeletons.

2x 5 Hexwraiths
2x 3 Vargheists

Between the two lords and four fast attack units there's plenty of target saturation.

This list leaves just enough points boost a wizard level wherever I may want it, or take a Banshee instead of the Cairn Wraith if I'm going against low leadership armies.
Sounds interesting.

Mine is a tournament list so there's no room for tinkering between games. I decided to abandon the skeletons to their own devices to save on points (not gunna bother with raising <60 points of skeletons a turn). I'm sacrificing a scroll which I don't really like, but such is life. I'm a lot less vulnerable to magic with this list than I was with my old list.

One thing I'm wondering about is your first lord loadout. What's the reason for going so tanky with him? Is it really worth sacrificing so much hitting power? Not only are you taking a drop in average damage output by losing ASF but you're also adding a lot more variability. The distribution for the ASF lord is pretty stable.

Oh yeah, and I should also probably mention that my list is probably going to be subjected to Swedish Comp. I'll update my first post to discuss that.

Banat

Varghulf
It's just an alternative to the ASF magic weapon build I guess. The defense boost is worth it IMO when your Lord only has 3 wounds. You can neuter killy characters you encouter, LD at -4 and they have to reroll to hit. ALL to wound rolls must be rerolled, including shooting and magic, which makes him a lot more survivable when he's out on his hellsteed on his own. And there's still a reasonable chance I'll get Vanhels or Hellish Vigour on his magic.

It's just an alternative to the ASF magic weapon build I guess. The defense boost is worth it IMO when your Lord only has 3 wounds. You can neuter killy characters you encouter, LD at -4 and they have to reroll to hit. ALL to wound rolls must be rerolled, including shooting and magic, which makes him a lot more survivable when he's out on his hellsteed on his own. And there's still a reasonable chance I'll get Vanhels or Hellish Vigour on his magic.
Hmm, I'll definitely consider it. I'm a big fan of the Trickster's Helm personally.

Banat

Varghulf
Not suggesting it's something you should do if its not your play style, but definitely one I'm going to try out more. Unfortunately my VL took ironblaster grapeshot to the face yesterday before I could try the build out in cc.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
@Pirate Robot Ninja of Death ( seriously, that needs to be made into a movie...)
Use the soul strider ability if the heroes when dealing with chaos knights and the like. Never forget the all important reform ability of fast cav to take advantage of this.

@Pirate Robot Ninja of Death ( seriously, that needs to be made into a movie...)
Use the soul strider ability if the heroes when dealing with chaos knights and the like. Never forget the all important reform ability of fast cav to take advantage of this.
Yeah that's my plan with them. I was running them in my foot list before though and that seriously limited their maneuverability. I think if I'm flying around with my vampire lord flying around they might treat me better.

Also before they were this huge target for magic missiles where I didn't really have any other targets. Now I'm terrified of people whittling my vampires down with doombolts and shem's and shit, so I'm hoping that the hex wraiths will draw some of that fire.