• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2500 Points VC Campaign Armies

Dark_Wolfen

Grave Guard
Hello all.
There's a campaign about to start, and since it's been a very long time I actually played Warhammer Fantasy, I thought it would be wise to ask for advice on my builds and possible tactics.

Since it's a campaign, it matters if the characters survive the battle or not. I would preferably have it the that they survive (but isn't this always the case? Well.. maybe not with the Purple Sun bomber...). The enemy players in the campaign are: 1 Dwarf, 3 High Elves, 1 Tomb King.

So, without further ado, unto the lists!

List #1
Lords (425)
Vampire Lord w/ Red Fury, Dread Knight, Dreadlance, Crown of the Damned, Extra Level
--
Heroes (530)
Vampire w/ Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death (Shield), Channeling Staff, Dispel Scroll
Vampire w/ Master of the Black Arts, Flayed Hauberk, Sword of Might
Wight King/ BSB, Sword of Kings, Nightshroud
--
Core (807)
24x Skeletons w/ Champion + Standard Bearer
19x Skeletons w/ Champion + Standard Bearer, Spears
30x Ghouls w/ Ghast
8x Dire Wolves
1x Corpse Cart w/ Unholy Lodestone
--
Special (736)
29x Grave Guard w/ Seneschal+Standard Bearer, Banner of The Barrows
9x Black Knight w/ Hell Knight+Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos, Barding
--
Total: 2498

Notes: the vampire heroes each join a unit of skeletons, the Wight King joins the GG and the lord joins the BK. The list itself is very straightforward. It has good infantry blocks and a very hard hitting heavy cavalry unit. All three vampires are quite hybrid, so they won't die with the first sign of resistance and can fight back, but are also quite usefull wizards.

List #2
Lords (440)
Vampire Lord w/ Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Avatar of Death (Shield), Blood Drinker, Cadaverous Cuirass, Crown of the Damned, Extra Level
--
Heroes (605)
Wight King w/ BSB (The Drakenhof Banner)
Vampire w/ Forbidden Lore (Shadows), Armor of Destiny
--
Core (664)
25x Ghouls w/ Ghast
30x Ghouls w/ Ghast
--
Special (589)
40x Grave Guard w/ Seneschal+Standard Bearer, Great Weapons, Banner of The Barrows
--
Rare (secret;))
1x Black Coach
--
Total: 2498

Notes: This army is even more straightforward. It has a huge GG block, that will be joined by the lord and the BSB. One of the vampires would join the Skeleton units (preferably the Shadowlore one) and the other.. I haven't decided what to do with yet. Because the GG unit is incredibly big, is jioned by a lord with the Blood Drinker and has the Drakenhoff Banner, this unit will most likely tear its way through anything. To ensure my core units aren't drastically underpowered, I put the Shadowlore vampire in there, so he can debuff enemy units with Melkoth’s Mystifying Miasma, The Enfeebling Foe and/or The Withering. My main concern is my lack of mobility, sine I have only 4 units and the Black Coach.

Any advice on things to change, general tactics how to play them or things I need to look out for with the opponents I'm facing are very welcom.
Thanks in advance.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
Hey and welcome to the forums!

The second list is definately a much safer one, and it would probably be the one i would pick seeing as you havent played a game in a long time. Except i would probably for go on some cost cutting to fit in a vargulf as well as the black coach just to give you that extra mobility. The trouble with the first list is that your units are all very small, which no longer works with vampires at all under the 8th ed rules.

And even so, i would suggest trying to fit a master power into the second list to buff up those units before they see combat. probably summon ghouls seeing as you have two ghoul units and it would be more useful.

Now you could be a little nasty and save some points and get heaps more protection here by taking the dragonbane gem on your lord instead of the crown of the damned. Due to the drakenhoff banner, you will almost always have your regen attacks under the circumstances where you could use a ward save, but you will gain a 2+ ward against flaming attacks. more protection at a cheaper cost? it is quite nasty so if this is meant to be friendly i would probably avoid it, but its always a thought.

Dark_Wolfen

Grave Guard
Yeah, I came up with the second list, because it is alot easier.

And the Dragonblood Gem is a plan so devious I had not thought of it (or I simply forgot he had now both ward and regeneration). It saves me 30 points, a stupidity save (although chances of failing one is unlikely) and gives better protection if I can't get my regen.

But how do you think I should cut pointcosts for a Varghulf? I need a 625 point minimum on core choices, so cutting costs there (and taking Summon Ghouls to bring them back) would net me few, the extra 30 points from the Crown swap and perhaps cutting costs by replacing the BC with another Varghulf would net ~72 points, hardly enough for another Varghulf, unless I cut in characters (which I'd rather not do, since I need them alive for further battles) or in the GG, which is the signature unit in the list. Any ideas?

My chances for another Vhargulf would be:
- Enchange the Crown of the Damned on the lord for a Dragonblood Gem and Summon Ghouls
- Drop 4 Ghouls on the smaller ghoul unit (core minimum)
- Drop 8 GG, stick in the Lord, the BSB and the Vampire with the Flayed Hauberk in the unit to make it 35 man strong. (and now, instead of horde move it as a 7x5 formation)
- Downgrade the Black Coach to a Varghulf

This nets me exactly 176 points, with which I can buy another Varghulf and have a whopping 3 points to spare!

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
That is one way to do it, but i would just take out another two GG and keep the coach. 30 GG is quite a strong unit, especially if you have the shadow hexes and Vanhels dance macarbe (the number one greatest spell of vampires this edition) going round.

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
I think you'd be better off giving red fury to your support vamp instead of MotBA,+2 dice to cast his 1 spell isn't terribly useful.
I'd trade the armour of destiny for the helm of command,then protect him with the draganhelm..if it looks like he's about to be in danger you could use smoke&mirrors to trade places w/ the 2+ AS thrall,placing him in the GG with the Hoff where he'll suddenly have a 4+ regen and 2+ ward vs. fire.
An extra VG would help too xD.

Mikael.K

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I remember that mounted vampire lord from 7th edition! xD Here are my thoughts.

List 1:
- Give your lord the blood drinker instead of that lance, he´ll keep the knights going forever. Potion of strength is nice for those highly armoured foes. The dragonbane gem/dragon helm are both good choices for him.
- A master power is needed as the core units are way too small.
- Dire wolves and corpse carts are a bit meh choices in this edition. One of the rare choices would be better in this list.

List 2:
- The lord looks great, but I´d drop the infinite hatred for dark acolyte. Beeing a level 4 caster has huge advantages. Not only do you get VHD easier, granting you those re-rolls, but it also benefits the entire unit.
- A master power would be good in this list aswell.
- You can easily drop 10GG as 30 is plenty when you have the drakenhoff and lord with blood drinker. Goes some way in getting you another rare choice.

Dark_Wolfen

Grave Guard
Yeah, that mounted lord was great in 7th where nothing could strike back :tongue:

And I've decided to go witht he second list, here are the changes:

Lords (410)
Vampire Lord w/ Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Avatar of Death (Shield), Blood Drinker, Cadaverous Cuirass, Dragonbane Gem, Extra Level
--
Heroes (595)
Wight King w/ BSB (The Drakenhof Banner)
Vampire w/ Forbidden Lore (Shadows), Summon Ghouls, Dragonhelm, Channeling Staff
--
Core (632)
21x Ghouls w/ Ghast
30x Ghouls w/ Ghast
--
Special (485)
32x Grave Guard w/ Seneschal+Standard Bearer, Great Weapons, Banner of The Barrows
--
Rare (375)
1x Black Coach
1x Varghulf
--
Total: 2497

Notes: I decided to keep the Infinite Hatred on the lord instead of an extra level, since the IH allows me rerolls, which grants more hits, more wounds, thus more attacks that hit and wounds, reviving tons of GG. Vanhels could grant this power aswell, but it's not sure if I could get this off. The FL vampire is supposed to pull off a smoke and mirrors manouvre if danger heads his way. He'll be placed in the skeleton bunker, with Ghouls left and right. I thought about giving the MotBA vampire Dark Acolyte and Summon Ghouls instead, but the extra sure powerdice are always a nice gift. But it would take some burdens of the shadow vampire (thoughts?). The Ghoul units will be buffed up the first few turns. The Grave Guard would run 7x5 formation.
General Deployment would be

GGGGG.....SSVSS......GGGGG.....BVWVB
(ghouls)..(Skels+....(ghouls)..(Grave guard with the Lord, the MotBA vampire and the BSB)
.......Shadow Vampire)

The rare choices would be at the flanks, depending on their deployment.
But what is everyones opinion? Should I drop Infinite Hatred for Dark Acolyte or should I drop MotBA for Dark Acolyte/Summon Ghouls or should I do both?

Mikael.K

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Personally I´d go with dark acolyte over infinite hatred, but thats just me xD. The MotBa is nice counter to the coach, but I think your thrall would benefit more from forbidden lore.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
No ward save on the Lord, your general? And only a 4+ save? thats not going to fly well :tongue: Two forbidden lores is a bit of an overkill. the only spells you really want him using anyway would be IoN to buff up those units and use up those two dice in the event that the coach doesnt suck them, and maybe vanhels but you want that on your lord if possible. How about swapping the sword of might for the biting blade and taking the vanhels bound item on the MotBA vampire? that way you can make sure that those dice always go to good use :tongue:

Dark_Wolfen

Grave Guard
Mikael.K said:
Personally I´d go with dark acolyte over infinite hatred, but thats just me xD. The MotBa is nice counter to the coach, but I think your thrall would benefit more from forbidden lore.
I already have a thrall with Forbidden Lore. Do you mean Dark Acolyte?

lynks said:
No ward save on the Lord, your general? And only a 4+ save? thats not going to fly well :tongue: Two forbidden lores is a bit of an overkill. the only spells you really want him using anyway would be IoN to buff up those units and use up those two dice in the event that the coach doesnt suck them, and maybe vanhels but you want that on your lord if possible. How about swapping the sword of might for the biting blade and taking the vanhels bound item on the MotBA vampire? that way you can make sure that those dice always go to good use :tongue:
My lord has a 4+ save and regeneration. In his regeneration is denied, he gets a 2+ ward save instead. Think this is pretty well defended along withhis wound regaining sword.

And the MotBA vampire also has a FLayed Hauberk, taking the Book of Arkhan would go over his point allowence, even if he didn't carry a magical weapon.

Mikael.K

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I already have a thrall with Forbidden Lore. Do you mean Dark Acolyte?
No, my mistake xD. If that is the case, the one with MotBA feels very expensive for what he brings to the board.

Dark_Wolfen said:
And I've decided to go witht he second list, here are the changes:
I have been using a similar list but my next opponent is another VC army!

I was thinking of swapping out the Skele's for more Ghouls, adding Summon Ghouls on the FL vamp and swapping out the Banner of the Barrows for the Banner of Hellfire on the GG.

Opinions?

Fester