• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2500 Tournament List

Vampire Lord:
Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Speed
Quickblood, Red Fury
Heavy Armour, Hellsteed

Master Necro:
Dispel Scroll, level 3 (Vampires)

Necromancer:
Rod of Flaming Death, Level 2 (Vampires)

Core:
2x39 skeletons, FC
1x15 skeletons, banner champ
2x5 dogs

Special:
33 Grave Guard, FC, Banner of the Barrows - horde
4 Vargheists - 2x2
6 Crypt Horrors - 3x2

Rare:
Terrorgheist

This is a slight modification on the list I brought to my last tournament. Allow me to give my reasons for each unit:

Vamp Lord: the hellsteed makes him vulnerable, but also unexpected. He's got a 2+4++ with the enchanted shield, which I like (and for just 2 points, since you save on the shield). No OTS is due to point restrictions unfortunately. I like that he can be anywhere he needs to be, can make unexpectedly long charge and catch my opponents off guard, and can't be stomped. I don't like that he doesn't get a look out sir, but that's what the crypt horrors are for.

Necros: I don't like that I only have a level 3. I'd rather a level 4 on Vamps and a level 1 on death. This was the only way I could think to fit both a dispel scroll and the rod in. I might drop the scroll for level 4 on my MN though.

Crypt Horrors: exist to catch cannonballs for my lord, to screen my TG from cannons and charges, and to protect my weak flank while chewing up any elite infantry I don't want near my GG.

Skeletons: I love these guys. They're much less magic-dependent than the zombies, and the champion is worth his weight in gold. Trading both units for a single unit of ghouls plus 5 more dogs might be an okay choice, but I like how well they protect the (vulnerable) flanks of my GG

Grave Guard: Not as competitive as Black Knights, but I still really like them. They're fragile and expensive, but they also preserve points very well if properly protected. Best of all they create a big denial zone in the centre of my lines that enemy cavalry wants nothing at all to do with.

Vargheists: the absolute MVPs of my tournament, I absolutely love how well these guys function way outside on the flank. They eat chariots for dinner, mulch warmachines, and are very hard to defend against with their fly move and 22" charge range. Frenzy is annoying, but without it they'd easily be worth 300 points. For 200 they're a steal. I had to cut the champion to get points, which I really don't like. Without the champion they're a lot less flexible, but I want the GG to be at 35 models and am already making a concession dropping them to 33...32 seems unacceptable.

Terrorgheist: I really like one, but wouldn't want two. He's dead points against too many matchups, as great as he is against the rest. With the crypt horrors to screen and protect him I feel that I'll be more able to get my points out of him.

The changes from my tournament list, which I was quite happy with generally:

8 Hex Wraiths were traded for the 6 crypt horrors.

Lost the champ off the Vargheist.

Level 4+1 necros with scroll became Level 3+2 with a dispel scroll and the rod (due to getting spanked by WE).

VL got the enchanted shield and potion of speed, which is there to give him a needed round of rerolls against the Nurgle Prince.

Have you maxed out your lord allowance? It definitely seems better to have a level 4 and a level 1 necro with rod than a level 3 and a level 2 with rod.

EDIT: I see in your explanation that you can't fit in the level 4 with the rod, so I'm assuming this means you've maxed your lord allowance.

Have you maxed out your lord allowance? It definitely seems better to have a level 4 and a level 1 necro with rod than a level 3 and a level 2 with rod.

EDIT: I see in your explanation that you can't fit in the level 4 with the rod, so I'm assuming this means you've maxed your lord allowance.
I'm sitting at 621 right now for Lords. My old lord setup was 624 with a naked level 4 and the blender on 3+4++ without the potion or enchanted shield.

So the question is: dispel scroll, or level 4? With the latter I'd drop the wizard level off the hero caster and buy some extra GG and put a champ on the vargs. He'd probably go on death as well, for LD10 spirit leech against monsters and crushers.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
I'd go level 4 over scroll. You are trading a one time spell stopper for an extra spell and more reliable casting/ dispelling. We are able to function without dispel scrolls. I never take the scroll and I have no problem staying competitive. I rarely miss having a scroll to be honest.

I'd agree with that, but only because level 4 is so good, not because Dispel Scrolls are somehow not useful. Dispel Scrolls easily save you 100+ points pretty much every game, but a having a level 4 is generally just very good in 8th edition.

I don't think you need the level 2 on the little Necro. It does nothing for his rod, and I feel like you can use those points for a Vargheist champ and another GG model or two.

I'd agree with that, but only because level 4 is so good, not because Dispel Scrolls are somehow not useful. Dispel Scrolls easily save you 100+ points pretty much every game, but a having a level 4 is generally just very good in 8th edition.

I don't think you need the level 2 on the little Necro. It does nothing for his rod, and I feel like you can use those points for a Vargheist champ and another GG model or two.
The level 2 is there to make up for the loss of level 4. He would be a level 1 on death if not for that.

I've thought about this a bunch, and essentially whittled it down to three options:

1) MN level 4 (Vampires), naked; Necro level 1 (death), dispel scroll, ruby ring.

2) MN level 3 (Vampires), dispel scroll; Necro level 2 (Vampires), Rod of Flaming Death

3) MN level 3 (Vampires), rod of flaming death; Necro level 2 (Vampires), dispel scroll, ruby ring.

Three options in ascending utility versus woodies, but I feel descending utility against everyone else.

My thoughts on number 1 is that the ring will prove of marginal utility. I'll throw one die at it a turn, and D6 S4 will kill a couple elfs. Against others it'll give me an option to knock out some chaff, maybe.

However number 2 really gives me something against the avoidance lists. The power of the Rod isn't so much the D6 hits, but incredible disincentive to move that unit. If I get that spell off (which I won't), the unit either doesn't move and gets charged, or moves and gets immolated.

The problem is that it really screws with my magic phase. I don't like level 3 on my lord caster. I don't like pushing a spell to a level 2.

So I'm really not sure. I think I'm going to try option 2 and see how things go. If I feel like it gives me something I'll maybe try 3. If I don't then I'll revert to option 1 and find other ways of dealing with the woodies.

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
Hi Pirate, here's my two cents: You've got too few threats and too shallow units. The GG need more models and so does the CH. A single TG is also a bit iffy at this points level since it's the only real target for cannons and poison attacks.

Hi Pirate, here's my two cents: You've got too few threats and too shallow units. The GG need more models and so does the CH. A single TG is also a bit iffy at this points level since it's the only real target for cannons and poison attacks.
Trouble with two 'gheists is that they're dead points against Lizardmen and Wood Elves, and the oddly large number of infantry-heavy armies I keep finding myself up against. I took the unit of vargheists instead.

I agree that the GG and CH are a bit anemic. The CH I'm using more as a flanking/screening unit rather than a mainstay combat unit (they protect my vampire and TG from cannons mostly, and screen the TG from charges while he screams over them). The GG being small is troubling, and I've been trying to figure out where to squeeze points to round out their numbers. So far I've made due by using dogs and raise dead to control the number of threats my GG are dealing with at one time. This is working reasonably well: last tournament I only lost the unit once, against WoC who crashed through it with a chariot and 4 crushers.