• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

smashthedean

Zombie
Mar 11, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I got another game in last night with my VC (Technically Undead Legions) army list that I've been putting together. The list is the same as in my other battle report here and looks like this:

-Vampire Lord on Helsteed with RF, QB, Beguile, OB, ToP, OTS, HA, Sh, Lvl 4 of Vamps
-Vampire on Helsteed with QB, Lance, HA, ESh, Luckstone, Scroll, Lvl 1 of Vamps
-Wight King on Barded Steed with NS, Lance, Sh
-45 TK Skeletons with LA, FC
-45 TK Skeletons with LA, FC
-5 Dire Wolves
-5 Dire Wolves
-5 Dire Wolves
-10 Black Knights with Barding, Lances, Champ, Standard with Flaming Banner
-30 Grave Guard with Great Weapons, Champ, Standard with BotB
-Terrorgheist
Comps at a 10.5 using a local End Times addendum to Swedish that is being used for a tournament coming up.

My opponent was running a fairly unorthodox Dwarf list that looked something like this:

-Dwarf Lord on shieldbearers with T6, 6 wounds, 1+ armor, 4+ ward, great weapon
-Thane BSB with vanguard rune, 1+ armor, 4+ ward
-Runesmith with 2+ armor, dispel scroll rune
-Runesmith with 2+ armor, dispel scroll rune
-Dragonslayer with throwing axe of some sort
-Dragonslayer with throwing axe of some sort
-25 Longbeards with great weapons, FC, stubborn rune (may have been on BSB)
-15ish Quarrelers
-5 Rangers with GWs
-25 Hammerers with FC, vanguard
-10 Miners
-5 Slayers
-5 Slayers
-Gyrocopter with vanguard
-Gyrocopter
-0 Warmachines
He comps at a whopping 17.5. Basically the tournament everyone is preparing for is a team tournament where a team of 4 players has to have a combined total comp score of 50 or less and he, being the Dwarf player and a super amiable guy agreed to take the highest comp army he could throw together so here it is! Unlike my last opponent, this guy is a fairly accomplished General so even though his list is super squishy, I was still looking forward to a good match.

For magic I got Vanhels, Raise Dead, Curse, and Invoc on my Lord and Gaze on my Vampire. I'm going to be a little lazier than last time I made a report and not put together images, but I'll do my best to paint a word-picture for you. The battlefield was laid out on a Realms of Battle board with hills in every corner, a big ruined temple looking thing in the middle left of the board that we ruled as difficult area terrain like a forest that also blocked line of sight, a regular forest in the middle of each of our deployment zones, and another forest over on the middle right side of the board. I deployed in the same formation as I did last game with my Dire Wolf units first, deployed 3-wide with 10" between them, my Skeleton units on the far left and right flanks, and then my Grave Guard or Black Knights deployed in whichever 10" zone flanked by Wolves that worked out best for me. In this case the Grave Guard went on the left and the Knights deployed on the right. Since both of his blocks were stubborn and fairly hitty, I opted to deploy 3-wide with VL-V-WK formation protecting my vulnerable babyvamp in the middle. I put my Terrorgheist off to the far-left, thinking that with Ld 9/10 on everything, he would be best off keeping out of range of Quarrelers and swooping in at targets of opportunity.

My opponent started his deployment with his 5-man Slayer blocks on the far right-hand side of the board, his non-vanguarding Gyrocopter keeping them company, and his vanguarding Gyrocopter on the far left. After that, he put his Quarrelers in the middle of the board flanked by his Longbeards on the left and his Hammerers on the right (all directions are from my point of view btw). He put his Lord and one Smith in with the Hammerers and his BSB and another Smith in with the Longbeards then deployed both Dragonslayers on the left flank across from my Terrorgheist. His Rangers scouted up across from my right-side Direwolves, then he won vanguard and moved his Gyro up on my left, which didn't really give me a lot of vanguarding to do myself. I inched my wolves forward a bit and he moved his Longbeards up the full 12" across from my Grave Guard while his Hammerers took a bit more conservative move across from my Knights.

He won the roll for first turn and moved his Gyro over my left-side DireWolves, dropping some bombs and killing three of them. He moved his Slayers and Dragonslayers up on the right and left flanks respectively, but kept his blocks where they were. He killed two wolves on the right with his Rangers and two in the middle with his Quarrelers. I had no problem with this.

On my first turn, I decided to be a bit gutsy, but only a bit. My Grave Guard needed an 8 to charge his Longbeards and my Black Knights needed a 10 to make it into the Hammerers so I charged with the GG, but kept the BKs back. Like I said, I needed an 8... and got an 8! I felt pretty confident about this matchup with the BotB on board. Elsewhere I moved my T-Bat over to scream at the Gyro behind my lines, moved the Skellies up full speed ahead, moved my Dire Wolves up in his Hammerers' face angled to keep the GG safe, and scooted my Black Knights up a bit, but made a point to keep them far enough away that being caught by an overrun of the wolves was unlikely (he would have needed boxcars). In magic... I rolled snake eyes for the winds and there were no channels. On the upside, this did give me a dice advantage that I could capitalize on with a Lvl 4 versus his Lvl 2s. I threw everything into Vanhels on my Grave Guard and drew out the dispel rune on the Longbeard's Runesmith, so that was something at least. In shooting, my T-Bat screamed the Gyro to death and we moved on to combat. Combat had a lot of dead on both sides, but more dead Dwarves than Grave Guard, but he made his stubborn break test and I reformed out of horde formation into 7-wide to go against his 5-wide.

On his second turn, he opted for no charges and just shuffled around his units a bit before delivering a fairly ineffective shooting phase, killing a single Wolf on the left with a throwing axe and a couple of Wolves in the middle and right with his Quarellers. His right-side Gyrocopter did manage to steam-gun my Skeleton block pretty good though and killed of 11 skellies. In combat, his BSB killed off my champion that he had whiffed against last round and though I did kill off my fair share of Dwarfs, he won combat by 1 and caused a bit of crumble, which was okay by me.

On my turn 2, I decided it was time to go for it. His Hammerers were still a little further away from my Knights than I had hoped for, but I saw another potential avenue to engagement by charging his closer Rangers, who were angled in a way that I thought could get me into the Hammerers on an overrun. Unfortunately once they got there, it was apparent that this wouldn't be the case, but I would instead overrun into his Slayers, which was okay with me too. My right-most Skeletons made a charge into his other Slayer block as well, while my left-side Skellies failed a long charge against his Longbeards' flank. I kept my Hammerer-blocking Wolf unit where they were while moving the other units up to support if needed. I didn't fancy getting charged by his Dragonslayers with my Terrorgheist so I retreated around the Temple thing a bit with him, forgoing a scream this round for increased survival. In magic... I rolled a 3! The winds of magic were very weak today it seemed, I blame Dwarfs. Nonetheless, this still worked to my advantage as I threw everything at Raise Dead and got it off with too high of a number for him to dispel. With only one scroll left, he opted to let it go through and I dropped a 9-man zombie 1" behind his Hammerers. My thinking was that he would want to reform the Hammerers in his turn to face my Black Knights, but with him boxed in with zombies 1" from his back and Wolves 1" from his front, he'd either have to go 4-wide facing right or do something else. In combat, things went as predicted with the Black Knights, the Vampire Lord doing 5 wounds on his own to kill off the Rangers and an overrun taking me into the Slayers. Against the other Slayers, my Skeletons managed to do 3 rounds and took a few back, but Slayers are unbreakable so he stuck. On the far left, things continued to be super bloody and bone-crushy with lots of wounds inflicted and a few Grave Guard crumbling. I believe at this point he had his standard and champion left in the Longbeards (plus Smith and BSB and I had something like 7 guys left.

Dwarf turn 3 saw lots of stunty legs moving really fast as the Dwarf General ordered the charge! Slayer on the left into the Grave Guard! Slayer 2 into the Dire Wolves' flank! Hammerers into the same Direwolf unit's front! Blammers! Quarellers, reform to face those zombies! Exclamation marks! Gyrocopter, move to gun down the other wolves! It was exciting, I assure you. Sadly, the steam-gunner wasn't able to finish off the pesky Dire Wolf unit and left one dog alive to be annoying another day. And then in close combat, his Hammerers and Dragonslayer made quick work of my Dire Wolves, but his Dragonslayer wasn't able to make the overrun into the flank of my Knight bus like he was hoping (I believe he needed something like an 8 and got a 3). This blocked up his Hammerer unit that he had planned to overrun into the remaining Wolf in the unit that got steamgunned. My Vampire Lord again wiped out a unit of Dwarfs by himself, dropping all of the Slayers and turning to face the juicy flank of the Hammerers. On the right-flank, my Skeletons finished off the remaining two Slayers and over on the left, my Grave Guard got cut up my the Dragonslayer, Thane, and Runesmith killing off all but two of them, but those last two managed to kill the last two Longbeards, but died themselves to the simultaneous attacks back! I wish I had gotten some bigger magic phases to bring some of these guys back to life, but oh well.

On my third turn, I charge my Knight bus into the flank of his Hammerer unit, failed a charge against his Dragonslayer with my Skeletons, flew my Terrorgheist up into scream range of the Dragonslayer, wheeled my right-side Skellies around a bit, and rolled up my magic phase... this time I got a 5 (4+1)! Woo! I considered trying to get a couple of spells off, but instead opted to throw everything at Vanhels on the Black Knights for a little extra boost, which he failed to dispel. On to shooting, my Terrorgheist screamed his Dragonslayer to death and on to combat! His Lord made way to his flank, but his Smith stayed back. I opted to challenge with my Wight King and he accepted with a rank-and-file Hammerer (which they can do to guard the Lord apparently). I dropped the Hammerer, did a lot of wounds to the unit, and took zero wounds back (though I did have to burn my Vampire's Luckstone for a reroll). Hooray for Nightshroud! He passed his stubborn breaktest and also passed his test to turn to face me.
Dwarfs turn 4 was looking pretty grim. He charged his Quarellers into my 9-man zombie unit blocking things up in the backfield and sent his remaining Dragonslayer into the rear of a dog. He flew his Gyrocopter around to steam down another 15 or so skeletons to death and we moved on to combat. His Quarrellers killed all but one Zombie through wounds and crumble and his Dragonslayer whiffed all of his attacks against my Direwolf, but I still died to crumble. In the big fight, he decided to go for it and challenge with his Lord. My Wight King accepts. My Wight King attacks, 2 hits. My Wight King rolls to wound... Killing Blow. He fails his Ward Save and his T6, 6 wound 1+ armor, 4+ ward Dwarf Lord bites the dust. Ouch. At that point, my opponent decided to call the game and conceded a 20-0 win to me. We rolled some dice to see what would happen in the rest of the big combat and he failed to wound me while I failed to break him, but that unit pretty much had no chance. If we had played on, my Terrorgheist would have been able to scream down the remaining lone characters, my Knights could have gotten into it with the Quarellers and his Gyrocopter might have survived. We did realize at this point that his Miners had just completely decided to sit this game out as he forgot to roll for them ever, but we agreed that they probably wouldn't have done much aside from fight my left-side skeleton unit which didn't do anything except fail charges. Talking about the game, he thought that his downfall came from his Dragonslayer failing to overrun into my Black Knight bus thinking he'd be able to hold it up and give him Hammerers a chance to turn around and charge, but I think I would have been able to challenge the Dragonslayer with my Lord, kill him, and let the rest of the bus kill the 5 Slayers. I think his biggest mistake was not trying to chaff up my Knights at all, but even still it was a rough matchup for him. Good times though!

Hope you all enjoyed reading this and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or whatever. I'm really enjoying this list so far and am happy to see it sitting pretty at 2-0. I have a game against Ogres next week so we'll see if I can keep up my winning streak!

luntan

Zombie
Sep 22, 2010
Sweden
Nice battlereport.
You play a list that is simular to my 2400p list so its fun to read and learn what it can do and what its not good at. So keep the battlereps comming! xD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu