• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2K, Empire against Tomb Kings

Darmort

Grave Guard
First? I hate Tomb Kings. Hate the fluff. Hate the models. Hate the rules. Hate them in general.

The list I faced: Tomb King in Chariot with a Great Weapon (?), 3 Chariots 2 Bone Giants, 2 Tomb Scorpions, 2 units of 6 Heavy Cavalry, 2 units of Light Cavalry, 3 Liche Priests.

I had 2*10 Handgunners with a Marksmen with a Repeater Handgun, 4 Detachments, 2 of Crossbows, 2 of Handgunners.
2*6 Inner Circle, one with Steel Standard the other with Warbanner, 5 Outriders, 30 Swordsmen with a Standard of somekind (Immune to Panic, I believe), Wizard with a Power Stone and the Rod of Power, a Warrior Priest with IOM and Skaven Hat, Captain Battlestardard Bearer in AOMI, and a General with a Runefang, and I Cannon and Helstrom as well. Probably bits and pieces here and there as well...

Sorry the lists are fuzzy, but I can't remember what I had all that well...

The spells I rolled were 2 and 6 on the Lore of Death, and changed 6 to 1 (didn't expect much to come from Magic, what with the enemy having something like 5 or so Dispel Dice and at least 2 Scrolls).

Terrain was packed, mainly because the store manager was an ass. He planted a forest, a tower, and a hill in the CENTER of the board, despite saying "Rules say no terrain within the center of the board"... he just said "But that's no fun" and overruled us like that. There were ELEVEN buildings in our deployment zones and half way up the battlefield, and two more large forests, as well as a large hill in my deployment zone (luckily, I suppose). Git...

Anwyay, his Chariots deployed so they had a clear run-up towards my Swordsmen, my Knights deployed to their right, while his Heavy Cavalry deployed, with a Liche Priest in each unit, behind his Light Cavalry, the one on the right with a Liche Priest in it. My Cannon, Helstrom, Handgunners, and Crossbowmen were on the hill, while his Bone Giants were hiding behind the tower/forest/hill combo... oh, and my Outriders were on the left of the Swordsmen. The two counters for the Tomb Scorpions were placed on the hill, in the flank of my Handgunners...

Anyway, he got first turn, and then immediately had his Chariots move full pelt towards my Swordsmen, who were, at the time, said to be an unbreakable unit (Warrior Priest and Battlestandard Bearer? Come on! They're not running anywhere anytime soon!), while the Giants moved towards the Tower. The Heavy and Light Cavalry moved so the Liche Priests could get a good view of my entire arm (damned kill-zoned area...).
His Magic phase saw the extermination (literally) of all three Crossbowmen detachments AND the charge of the Chariots into the Swordsmen... I rolled a lot of ones on my Dispel Dice, and I sighed as the shooting phase came up... and saw nothing happen, as the Knights shrugged off the few arrows that got through.
In Combat, his Chariots dealt in all, 11 Impact hits, and then did one wound, which I saved. Likewise, the Charioteers, Tomb King AND Horses all dealt one wound each. That I saved. I slaughtered two of the chariots in return, and dealt a wound to the Tomb King, and won combat by lots, depleting the Tomb King to a single wound. There was a round of applause from the three other people in the store as my friend was mashed by Swordsmen. A load of sarcastic people, us.

In my turn, I decided that the Tomb King was well and truly dead, and started moving my Knights forwards a bit. My Magic Phase ended abruptly with a Miscast that ended the Magic Phase, but failed to hurt my Mage. In the shooting phase, the Cannon misfired and couldn't shoot that turn, the Helstrom killed two of the Heirophant's Light Cavalry, and the Handgunners, altogether, killed off the other unit of Light Cavalry, and killed two heavy Cavalry with the Outriders.
In combat, the Tomb King Challenged me, and my Warrior Priest accepted. I think I'd given himi the Hammer of Judgement, as I hit the Tomb King and didn't need to wound it because it died. I passed my Leadership test from the curse, or whatever it is, and was safe.
No combat, so once against, Tomb King's Turn.

The Tomb Scorpions came up, one flew off the board, the other went into the flank of the handgunner detachment. The Giants moved on to the other side of the Tower, and the Heavy and Light Cavalry sidled back a bit to avoid more shooty death. In the Magic Phase, I lost a whole unit of Knights due to Cursing Vengeance, then lost the Outriders to bowfire from the remaining Light Cavalry. The Scorpion butchered the handgunner detachment, overran into the Cannon. Not much else really happened, but I could see I was loosing fast now...

In my turn, the remaining Knights, and the General, charged a Bone Giant, while the Swordsmen moved up to, hopefully, support the Knights in combat. The Mage moved upwards to start smiting stuff with his Steal Life spell, and cast with Irresistable Force on two dice, taking part of the life of a Liche Priest. I reserved the other two dice for a Dispel Die next turn, and then wounded one Giant three times with shooting from the handgunners, and the Helstrom managed to kill two more Light Cavalry. In the combat phase, I dealt 5 wounds to the Bone Giant from the Knights and Horses, and the General dealt another two, crumbling it, and then I overran into the other Bone Giant. The Tomb Scorpion then slaughtered the Cannon's crew and their machine, and overran into a handgunner unit.

His turn, and my Knights suffered the charge of two Heavy Cavalry units charging them in the flank and front. The remaining Light Cavalry hid behind the Tower so as to protect the Liche Priest. Then came a lot of Smiting, as the Giant smited the General, and the Heavy Cavalry smited the Knights. Shooting saw the two Light Cavalry wound my Mage once, reducing him once more to two wounds, and then in combat, the handgunners lost, fled, and were caught and destroyed. The Tomb Scorpion was into the flank of the next handgunner unit. In combat, my General wounded the Giant Twice, while the Heavy Cavalry killed all but the Proctor of my Inner Circle, who killed the Liche Priest on one wound, and then I ran, and was crushed. The Giant ran straight into the Swordsman unit, which held despite the terror that they faced (pun intended).

My third turn, and my Mage moved towards the Heirophant. That was about it, really... my Mage cast Steal Life on two dice again, and against got Irresistable Force, and stole a wound off of the Heirophant, the Warrior Priest finally remembered his prayer book, and the Swordsmen became unbreakable when my friend failed to Dispel it (double six and double one) and then I saved the other two dice in the Rod of Power, not that it was doing me much good... I couldn't Dispel Magic this game to save my life! In the shooting phase the Helstrom fired it's remaining volleys at the Heavy Cavalry, killed ALL of them, but annoyingly enough, the Liche Priest remained. In combat, the Bone Giant killed 21 of the Swordsmen before I dealt two wounds to it from the Warrior Priest (gotta love that Hatred...), one from the Captain, and another one from the Swordsman Champion. I lost Combat, but held because of the Warrior Priest's Prayer. The Tomb Scorpion ate up three more handgunners, won combat, and overran the handgunners into the ground, while trampling in on the Helstrom. Predictable line up this, isn't it?

His last turn. Yeah, early, but meh. The Light Cavalry charged my Mage. He failed his Fear test and ran. The Light Cavalry caught him... the Liche Priest that had survived the Helstrom in my turn pointed his stick up into the air and shouted "Icki icki icki hack hack!" The Giant hit my Swordsmen Champion, and squashed him. The Liche Priest dispelled my Prayer, and then we went into combat. The Giant squashed 5 Swordsmen, took no wounds in return, won combat, but I passed my Leadership Test after the reroll from the Battlestandard Bearer. The Tomb Scorpion killed the Crew and the Machine, and overran... into the Swordsmen. I frowned, and said "it's the last turn..."

In my turn, the very last turn, I lost the Warrior Priest to the Scorpion, the Giant smashed the remaining Swordsmen and the Captain, and it was a definite defeat for me... I'd utterly failed to do any damage whenever I could in those last few turns, and lost because the damned dice hate me... nice to know my Swordsman unit is still yet to flee, despite terror causing beasties.

Victory Points:
Tomb Kings - 2600, or there abouts.
Empire - 1330, or there abouts.

Result - Massacred. Annihilated. Slaughtered.

Poor, poor Empiremen...

But seriously, I hate Tomb Kings. Seven games against them and no matter what I do, I cannot kill them, and right now, I really am just getting fed up and sick of playing them.

I've never seen that army loose, either. 39 games and it's never even drawn...

Despite all that, there were a lot of things that went in his favour; his luck at the start was poor, but so was mine, in loosing several detachments and not being able to dispel anything. His stayed poor, except for his Scorpion, but then changed during turn three where he annihilated me very quickly. The loss of a lot of shooting by turn three made me suffer a lot as well. The things I think were funny was the Chariot Charge bouncing off a few Shields, and then get squashed. Killed off a Bone Giant, which was funny because he'd never lost one before, and nearly killed another, with a well done charge, but then the Knights got squashed by the other Giant and Heavy Cavalry.

Also; Runefangs are overrated. Without a Wardsave or Magic Armour or anything else that is in least ways useful, and only having a basic 1+ Save, I could pretty much say goodbye to my General in any drawn out combat. He took a wound because he didn't have a survivability rating, to be honest.

I really. Really, hate Tomb Kings.

Well, that's all I can think of, at any rate...
Darmort

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
It may seem like a silly question, but why didn't you move any of your units so that the overruns would not hit you?

It would have cost you a round of shooting, but you could have lined up to put him in place for shooty death when overrunning into open space.

I would also have been tempted to use the awailable terrain a little more (shooty units and detatchments into buildings, 2" into the woods, etc). It may have cost you some line of sight, but the same would have been true for him.

Also, hill in the middle of the board is not good for Empire with cannons, and the store manager should be shot. Terrain, other than for specific scenarios, is outlined in the rules to produce sensible games!!

DarkHand6

Grave Guard
yeah - i mean 11 buildings what was that guy thinking of?

incidently - putting handgunners in buildings works a treat ;)

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Nice report, thouhg I don't like the way they play the game in your store- four turns and an interfering manager? Blarg.

One lil comment:

Darmort said:
the Warrior Priest finally remembered his prayer book, and the Swordsmen became unbreakable when my friend failed to Dispel it (double six and double one)
Your opponent rolled four dice to dispel something with power 4? Hahaha! :D

Darmort said:
In the Magic Phase, I lost a whole unit of Knights due to Cursing Vengeance
Which spell is this? If it's the TK magic missile, how the ehll did your knights die, it's only S2 hits, isn't it?

And yes runefangs are overrated, leave them at home!

Good battle report thought, sounds to me like this manager will resort to any means to preserve his record!

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Well it looks like you had a pretty hard army to deal with, i dont think his bone giants really are a pain in the arse, i also think if i played in your store i would be very tempted to take the manager out of the store and give him serious beatings (this is why its rare for me to play in in stores now). better luck next time!

Ol - i think he means the curse for killing the TK?

Darmort

Grave Guard
Skaramak - To be honest, I didn't actually think of moving the Handgunners...

Luckily for us, the Store Manager left for another store, and we have a much cooler Store Manager now. One who actually knows the rules and can have a laugh while still being serious at the same time. He does a great mega game.

If you're on a hill, you can see over another hill, terrain feature (other than trees that are infinitely high for some wierd reason). House rule adopted by the store, or somewhere in the rulebook. No body argues with it, to be honest.

DarkHand6 - Knowing that your Store Manager is an egomaniac and retarded in the head, I'd say he was thinking "wooo this'll be funny!!!!"
And incidentally, I didn't know you could put units in buildings until after the game... not having a rule book sometimes really hurts...

EvC - Four turns and I'd been wiped out... and the Store Manager was being an ass, trying to set up "unbiased" terrain, even though it was heavily biased towards the both of us...

My friend decided that since I didn't have any other magic left he might as well... his fault, not mine!

FatOlaf - D6 Strength 4. It's what got rid of my Crossbow Detachments as well.

I was playing a friend, not the Store Manager, however, whenever I played that Store Manager I massacred him each time with a combination of Dark Elf Repeater Crossbow out shooting his Dwarf Gunline, and then having Battlecow Riders wipe out any large blocks by isolating them (Soul Shadow Standard and Dark Riders for the win!), while obliterating weaker units with Executioners and Corsairs.

logan - Correct. And damned Bone Giant didn't die... ever! I'll slap it with a fish if I ever have to play it again...
Store's changed a lot now, though, totally new staff that are really cool, who let you get on with your games without interrupting you with needless facts, and let you set the terrain up yourselves (roll a D6, highest places a piece, et cetera, just like with Deployment), another gaming table (before, because it was a small store, we only had two 4*4 tables and a 4*8 for three Intro Tables, which was changed to 2/4 4*4/6/8 tables and three 2*4 Intro Tables.

DarkHand6

Grave Guard
darmort said:
DarkHand6 - Knowing that your Store Manager is an egomaniac and retarded in the head, I'd say he was thinking "wooo this'll be funny!!!!"
And incidentally, I didn't know you could put units in buildings until after the game... not having a rule book sometimes really hurts...
bad luck for having that type of store manager - where is ur store anyway?

alos i agree about the rulebook thing - i bought one last week for the GT, never realised how much i had missed

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Poor Nottingham!!!

On the rulebook, there are numerous little changes as well as the big ones, and you are at a considerable disadvantage IMO if you are not aware of them and how they impact both on your army and your opponent's.

Yeah, Runefangs are not that good, unless it's the one wielded by Kurt Helborg... Seriously though, may I suggest that you take a Grand Master instead of an Empire General. Give him either the Sword of Power, Dawn Armour and Sigil of Sigmar, or go all out and give him the Sword of Sigismund and the Laurels of Victory. The Knights he joins will be Immune to Psychology. Why take two units of Inner circle knights? If your going to pay the points, get 11, 12 including the Grand Master, save yourself the cost of the command group. Use the points to get a mortar. The Swordsmen don't need the Banner of Valour. Give your BSB the Imperial Banner to re-roll all those Fear and Terror tests, and stick the poor guy on a horse. Helstorm rocket battery is fine if he's far away and staying there, Helblaster is far, far better. Pistoliers to hunt his Heirophant is a very good idea, but Outriders are fine too. You had a lot of shooting, my friend...

Just my two cents, but this is what I would take, and I get the boney swine 7/10. Getting a War Alter is no bad thing, either.