• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2k learning VC list

Longtime no see all. I've been lost in a dark warp of endless battles in the future...but, I'm back to building and preparing to paint up my VC for fantasy this coming spring. I'm also stoked about the new book and hoping that it is all that it is cracked up to be. Although I have little doubt that it will be a solid and workable list authored by Phil Kelly. All this aside, I set down to work up a list that I had started some time ago, but needed some feedback. Things have changed since the errata in WD and the terrorgeist came out a couple months back. Let me know what you'd change. I do intend on getting some more ghouls, but until then, my caster vamp goes into a skeleton bunker. The other two are rather self evident. In terms of the dire wolves I'm using them as screens, misdirecting and general buggering on the flanks. Any and all feedback are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Vampire Lord
flayed hauberk; Helm of Commandment; Blood Drinker
Forbidden Lore; Dark Acolyte; Lord of the Dead

Thrall 1
BSB; Warbanner
Walking Death; Avatar of Death (shield)

Thrall 2
Black Periapt; Night Shroud; Talisman of Protection
Summon ghouls; Infinite Hatred; Beguile

Core:

25x skeletons (Lord bunker)
FC; Banner of Endless Nightmare

2x 10 Ghouls (flanking the GG)
Ghast (2)

10x dire Wolves

Elite:

25x Grave Guard
FC; Banner of the Dead Legion

Rare:

3x Cairne Wraiths
Banshee

Varghulf

Total: 2k

Hi Sphere,

Your list looks to me like one that's based on previous edition rules. Not the VC, but the general rules.

Why?

sphere830 said:
Vampire Lord
I think you have a strange mix of items and powers on this guy: For me the main reason to have a hybrid lord (on foot) is to be able not to have to spent points on a bunker and/or use the combat and magic potential of this guy.
The Blooddrinker is crucial on this guy as is being lvl 4 (VDM). I would always combine the Blooddrinker with the red-fury power (instead of FL). As we will get to skellies later, I would prefer to have the summon ghouls over the lord of the dead.
It's good to have armour on the hybrid lord (Hauberk or Cuirass) but I would advise you to also take a ward save for cc purposes (the ones avaialble depending on the chosen armour and mind, we keep the blood drinker). This means, the concession you need to make, is, not taking a helm of commandment on you Lord.
If you do want to have the helm in the army, you should take a supporting vampire with it in a 2k list.

sphere830 said:
Thrall 1
BSB; Warbanner
Walking combat result... but an easy kill. Wight kings are much better BSBs (higher T and W). We don't really need this combat result generator generator. We let our troops (Ghouls and GG) do the killing.

sphere830 said:
Thrall 2
If you want to stick to this vampire, give him the helm of commandment. I would reconsider into changing him into a necormancer (VDM + arcane item) + Wraith / Banshee hero.
Core:

sphere830 said:
why? The lord is much better of in the GG. You could include the skellies if you have the supporting helm vampire but I would not do so in 2k as its a huge investment and it might not be worth it.

sphere830 said:
Ghast (2)
You already know it... increase the ghouls size to at least 24 (6x4). the last couple of battle I enjoy them better in a horde (3x10). Keep the ghast upgrade. Using ghouls as flankers for you GG is a very solid tactic!
In 2k, you could have 30+31 ghouls+ghast for minimum core.

sphere830 said:
10x dire Wolves
Unfortunately they do nothing this edition. Get rid of them. If you want cheap redirectors, summon zombies. If you want fast warmachnie hunters, take some fell bats.really

sphere830 said:
25x Grave Guard
Grave Guards should be upgraded with GWs (it;s all about the kills these days). Their lesser protection is compensated by the red-fury vampire lord who will restore the ranks in combat. The banner of barrows is the beter choise. If you put the lord and Wight king bsb in this unit, deploy them in a horde. Increase the size to at least 28+

sphere830 said:
3x Cairne Wraiths
Banshee
Ethereal units are good at 2k battles. Unfortunately, the unit size chosen is just a 'banshee delivery system'. If you want a banshee, get a basheehero. If you want wraith combat potential, get a unit of 4 wraiths.

sphere830 said:
Always good addition, especially if you have less vampire models in your army (as I suggested above) to keep your models outside general range able to move.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Let's take a wee look at the list...

sphere830 said:
Vampire Lord

Hmm. Odd Hybrid thing you have going down here. I'd say make him a caster or a combat beast; but never both. That's what Vlad tries to do and how often do you see him played?

Thrall 1
BSB; Warbanner

I generally take my BSB on a Wight King so it survives longer, personally. You're spending more points for the avatar of death defence than just taking a more resilient WK. The Walking Death is nice but with BSB and warbanner adding +2 already, I doubt you'll need the extra one unless he's running solo or something. xD

Thrall 2

More hybrid vampires... eek! Not to worry, easy to fix. Make this guy either combat or casting (I recommend casting for thralls).

Core:

Drop the magic banner for the spare points if this is only a bunker; and still 25 is quite big for a bunker which isn't expected to see any action, unless that's your gameplan, in which case stick with the 25 and turn that lord into a combat monster.

Ghast (2)

Units of ten ghouls are just too small, really... I'd say merge them into one unit of 20 and put the bunker on the second flank to maximise the damage you're doing to your opponent.

10x dire Wolves

If you use these guys right they can be surprisingly good; keep them marching through!

Elite:

25x Grave Guard

I'd say no to that banner, and yes to Banner of the Barrows; then give them all great weapons, and have the thrall vamp you have got in a ten-man skelly bunker (or just alone if you feel brave) behind this unit with the helm of commandment. Now you hit and wound on 2s! Yay!

Rare:

3x Cairne Wraiths
Banshee

Bear in mind you can take banshees as heroes now (according to a WD rules entry) but if you wanted the whole unit then this can be good at dealing with enemy knights. Very good.

Varghulf

Running with the Dire Wolves? Now they can march! Huzzah. Nice unit in general, keep him away from fire though...!

Total: 2k
See comments in blue. List is not bad overall, just needs a little bit of tweaking here and there to get the most out of it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading and I know that things are about to change. However, I'll probably look into a 2500 point list, I'm really excited about an ethereal flanking unit, these lists will form a foundation to understand some of the changes coming. So what I've done is to make a 2k and a 2.25k list based on your recommendations and the models that I have save 4x sprues of ghouls. In terms of playing these lists they seem pretty straight forward, for screens and redirection as mentioned previously, I have about 55 or so zombies to summon at the opponent. Some of the new options should (hopefully) give us some more resistance to shooting and warmachines. Thanks again and thanks for any feedback. I finally live in an area with an active gaming community.

Vampire Lord
Dark Acolyte; Extra Magic level; Red Fury; Summon Ghouls
Walach's Bloody Haubark; Blood Drinker

Wight King
BSB

Necromancer
Extra Spell; Sceptre de Noirot; Dispell Scroll
Corpse Cart

Core:

31 Ghouls
Ghast

30 Ghouls
Ghast

Special:

25x Grave Guard
Full Command; Great Weapons
Royal Standard of Strigos

Rare:

4x Cairn Wraiths

Varghulf

Total 1999

The 2250 list is similar with a few exceptions and a caster type of lord.

Vampire Lord
Dark Acolyte; Forbidden Lore; Summon Ghouls
helm of Commandment; Wristbands of Black gold; The Cadeverous Cuirass

Vampire Conrad

Wight King
Sword of Kings; enchanted shield (BRB); luckstone (BRB)
BSB

Necromancer
Extra Spell; Sceptre de Noirot; dispell scroll
Riding in a Corpse Cart

Core:

20x skeletons (Bunker)
Full command; Banner of Hellfire

24x Ghouls
Ghast

24x Ghouls
Ghast

Special: