• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2k Points - First Go - Time for Tweaks

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
I've just recently gotten enough models for a decent 2k points list - so I put one together and have had a few games with it. Thus far, I'm quite happy with it, but it's obvious that tweaks are needed.

Some have already been made and are presented below, but my question is - what fits the rest? Any comments, suggestions, or anything? Thanks!

LORDS:

Strigoi Ghoul King 455pts
-Red Fury, Fear Incarnate, AoDM
-Ogre Blade, Seed of Rebirth, OTS, Cursed Book

-----------------------------------------------------------------

HEROES: (405pts)

Tomb Banshee
Tomb Banshee

Necromancer (125pts)
-Lvl 2, DScroll

Necromancer (90pts)
-Book of Arkhan

CORE (500pts)

20x Ghouls w/Ghast (210 pts)
31x Skeletons w/Full CMD and Screaming Banner (210pts)
10x Dire Wolves (80pts)

------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL (135pts)

2x Spirit Host
1x Spirit Host

RARE (225pts)

1x Terrorgheist

So that's my minimum core and 1720 points total, leaving me 280

The core blocks probably look small to people on this forum, but we never see big hordes around here. Largest unit I've ever seen in a game in my area is 36 HE spearmen. If they still look small, please let me know of course

The magic phase that I'm working on is many cheap spells. The Book of Arkhan guarantees me at least a single-target Vanhels, the Cursed Book is pretty useful no matter what gets rolled, and multiple copies of IoN are great. Opponents seem generally loathe to dispel on 1 die, and I'm perfectly fine casting spells on 1 die in this list, so I generally get a spell or two through from sheer quantity in the magic phase. Since pretty well every spell in Lore of Vamps is useful, the lvl 2 just picks up a little extra utility, and everybody ends up with 2 spells.

For the remainder of the list, I've got some ideas tossing around

20 Grave Guard (CMD and Great Weapons) = 270 pts (leaving 10 pts for whatevs)
-Hammer time

Corpse Cart with Balefire
Vargulf
-Makes exactly 2000 pts. The vargulf plays into the non-IoN dependent theme of the army and adds more mobility. The corpse cart, maybe, helps out my 2 blocks and now my lvl 2 can now dispel at only a -1 disadvantage generally, isntead of -2

Other changes would require me to get more models, but I'm certainly open to them. What do you all think?
-

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
I figured it would add to the regen aka Mortis Engine. Bummer. I've also swapped magic items around so highest wizard doesn't have DScroll, as you suggested elsewhere.

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
So a few more games under my belt and the list is now 4-1-1 (the final 1 being what the other player and I agree was a "tie in which we both lost" because we were both such idiots the entire game)

I've tweaked it further, and have gotten to here:

LORDS: (450pts)

Strigoi Ghoul King
-Red Fury, Aura of Dark Majesty, Fear Incarnate
-Ogre Blade, OTS, Dragonbane Gem, Cursed Book

-------------------------------------------------------

HEROES: (494 pts)

Vampire (204 pts)
-BSB
-Heavy Armor
-Opal Amulet, Enchanted Shield, DScroll
-Aura of Dark Majesty

Necromancer (lvl 2) (100 pts)

Tomb Banshee

Tomb Banshee

------------------------------------------------------------

CORE: (520 pts)

39x Skeleton Warriors (250 pts)
-Full Command. HW/S
-Screaming Banner

26 Crypt Ghouls (270 pts)
-Ghast

-------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL: (135 pts)

2x Spirit Host

1x Spirit Host

-------------------------------------------------------------

RARE: (400 pts)

1x Terrorgheist

1x Varghulf

-----------------------------------------------

It's great fun to watch that SGK tear through everything he comes into contact with, especially with the support of the fearbomb he rolls with. If I think he's going to go against something that itself causes fear, I just toss a banshee in the unit as well.

I think I've also gotten pretty solid at the Terrorgheist harass and throwing the spirit host in the way of everything that doesn't want to meet those things (true story!! The single spirit host took the skink priest off the Ancient Stegadon with Engine of the Gods the other day, despite the ludicrous armor save and Burning Alignment eminating from the Stegadon. Muahahahah. In the next game, it ran a unit of Leadbelchers off the board. Oh...man. The anger)

The new tweak is to use the varghulf to ward off flank charges on my SGK-delivery-system, the skeleton bus.

I've also had great success with the redundant spell choices and multiple casters, though to be sure the list suffers somewhat in dispelling lvl 4 casters. Regardless, it's nice to have a list where the magic phase is a bonus, rather than a necessity.