• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

2K TK vs Big Bad Khorne

Whilst Count Olaf has a little rest from his nemesis exploits (and his last BR will be posted soon, I promise). I decided to dig out his Desert chums the TK and then decided to challenge Logan054's Khorne.
It's only the 6th time I've used them and as you can see by my Sig, it's been close. I have never used them against Khorne before and am some what apprehensive but after he learned I was not making any sort of cheese list, he stated he would tone down his list, so only 20 chosen knights instead of 40 then???? :rolleyes:

But seriously, it should be good and in 3 and abit hours it should have started. I shall let you know how it went tomorrow....
Wish me luck! :mrgreen:

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
yeah it was a pretty close game, george the exalted daemon made a appearance this time and actually survived the battle without taking a single wound (its a damn first he didnt die on turn one!).

This is the list i was going to use

Characters

Exalted Champion of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Barded Steed
- Shield
- Sword of Might
- Gaze of the Gods
Total 203pts

- Mark of Khorne
- Juggernaut of Khorne
- Flail
- Crown of everlasting conquest
Total 242pts

Core

5 Knights of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Fullcommand
- Warbanner
Total 285pts

6 Knights of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Chosen
- Fullcommand
Total 365pts

5 Knights of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Fullcommand
Total 260pts

5 Chaos Hounds - 30pts

5 Chaos Hounds - 30pts

5 Chaos Hounds - 30pts

5 marauder Horsemen
- Flails
- Musician
Total 81pts

Special

7 Chaos Furies
Total 105pts

3 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons
-Mark of Khorne
Total 183pts

3 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons
-Mark of Khorne
Total 183pts

Army Total: 1997
Dispel Dice: 7+2

Sadly EvC the game didnt end all that lonf ago so i doubt Olaf is even home yet, what i can say is i hate bone giants! i hate them! i hate them!!

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
oh yes, dont worry olaf, i already hated them before i played you! i've just been reminded why i hate them!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Most Tomb King players I know hate them becauss they tend to roll lots of ones and twos and therefore make the Unstoppable Assualt very Stoppable ;)

EvC said:
Most Tomb King players I know hate them becauss they tend to roll lots of ones and twos and therefore make the Unstoppable Assualt very Stoppable ;)

normally the case but I seem to have much worse luck with SSC's........... In the future I'm taking 2 Bone Giant's from now on.
Thanks to Logan for posting his list, saves me some time. I will have some breakfast and then do the BR....However I have just realised this was not the actual list he used, he dropped loads of knights, I will get him to edit that.

Right so this was my list, I was slightly hampered by not having enough of the right models, I would have taken more archers for starters but I will rectify this soon.

Tomb King (King OlafTut :grin:)
LA, Chariot, Flail, Chariot of Fire, Crown of Kings

Tomb Prince
LA, GW, Collar of Shapesh

LP (Heiro)
Cloak of Dunes, Nefaras Plaque

LP
Steed, Staff of Ravening

Core:

4 Chariots + command + standard of the cursing word
(just realised that I only brought 3 of these to the battle....:devil:)

11 Bowmen

10 Bowmen

3 Swarm

Special:

Tomb Scorpion

3 Carrion

16 Tomb Guard + command + Banner of the undying legion

Rare:

SSC

Bone Giant

Khorne deployed mainly in the middle with Knights on the left screened by hounds and Minotaurs on the right screened by hounds.
I faced the Knights with my chariots led by the king and put the BG and TS together on the right. In the middle the LP's and the SSC were on a hill with the 2 units of archers. The TG unit was to the right of the hill led by the TP. I deployed quite far back to give me some firing space.

TK went first and I held back, the chariots reformed to give them a frontage of four (dont know why i did this, the knights were in between a hill and a wood, so not a lot of room for 4 chariots) and the swarm moved forwards. The BG and TS headed right for the minotaurs. The carrion flew down from the hill to keep an eye on the Furies.
Magic nothing happened against his 8DD and some really low rolls by me and then the shooting, I aimed the SSc for the Demon and for the 3rd battke in a row, it misfired and blew up, Logan was a happy bunny, I was suicidal. But if I could keep the crew alive, I had a chance to heal it back.
He then moved everything forwards Khorne style, the furies tucked in behind his demon and fast cavalry. He angled the hound screens well on both sides meaning my chariots or BG/TS combo would get flank charged.
My carrion charged his Furies, just having LOS and being able to squeeze in, and magic propelled my swarms into his marauder horsemen. My BG and TS faced off against the hounds,unwilling to risk the minotaurs wrath. The TK failed to MWBD the chariots into the hounds with some typically bad rolling. The chariots position looked bleak with the Knights, Minotaurs and Beatsmen all close..
My Carrion failed to hit a thing ( I am so bad at rolling to hit) and died but the swarm killed 3 horseman, the other 2 fleeing, the swarm failed to catch but at least hit the furies, stopping them from charging my LP's.
His demon charged an archer unit and his General charged out of the marauder unit into the flank of the Swarm.
On either flank the stand offs continued, with his Minotaurs on the right flank moving back a bit (very un Khorne like I remarked).

The Demon failed to kill the archers and the swarm saw off a few Furies taking a few wounds back.
The next round saw the other archer unit flank charge the demon (more to keep it busy than anything else) and LP's flying or riding away for cover.
The Demon killed the front unit but was still in CC with the depleted flank unit.The swarms and furies both lost wounds. again my magic achieved nothing apart from the staff killing a few Ungors (3D6 S2 hits looked good till I realised I needed 5's to wound T3), I realised then that I should have so gone for a HLP and taken a Hieratic Jar, Tk need magic to survive and I was not getting any through. (lesson learnt here)

The next Chaos turn saw the Minotaurs too close to the chariots and in they went. The swarms finally died taking the last of the furies with them, the hounds near the BG failed the terror test and legged it, leaving the route open to the minotaurs who has come just a bit too close. The Marauder unit charged the TG along with the spawn, both in the front (this left the general on the outside flank and no in CC). The TG unit champion slew the marauder champ in a challenge but the TG unit lost the CC just and lost a few to crumble. The Chaos warriors were stuck behind the demon with no where to go. The Demon then finished off the remaining archers whilst the minotaurs and chariots (aided by the flail wielding TK) hurt each other badly, each unit losing 2 models.
Tk then started the hurting with the BG and TS charging the Minotaurs and cutting them down, the TS overunning to try and catch the hounds but they fled off the table.
The TG unit replenised it's losses with the banner and some successful summoning spells (at last).
This time the battle was drawn.
The TK with the aid of his standard saw off the remaining minotaur, however this then only left him open to a charge from the Knights, only the King and a champion remained in this unit.
The following chaos turn saw the Demon join in the TG/marauder battle, charing in the flank and hrting the unit who lost around 9 men. The Knights charged the Chariots and depsite losing a champion, did enough to crumble the unit, passing the LD test to avoid the Kings curse, they overran to the table edge, taking them out of the rest of the battle.
The TK phase saw the BG charge in the flank of the marauder unit, this is where the battle could be won or lost, my SSc crew had hidden away and both my LP's were safe, If i could win this battle I could take out his two heros and two units and get enough points for a draw, a MV?
However I made anothet fatal error and directed all the BG's attacks on his General in a fit of blood rush. He had this cursed armour that made me re-roll all my successful hits and so all the attacks were wasted, if only I had hit the marauder R&F it could have all been different, he had managed about 8 wounds against the Minotaurs with his unstoppable assault. The BG took some wounds back from the general and another due to crumble. This was on a knife edge.
In the chaos turn, the BG fell and the TG unit was down to about 4 models including the TP, however the losses had taken the Demon and spawn out of the CC. The marauder unit redressed and the General was now in base to base. However in the last TK phase, I got some more men back with summons and in the last 2 combat phases had 4 chances to killing blow his general even with the re-rolls it was close, however the dice luck had left me and he lived. The unit fell along with the TP but his curse took the Khorne General with her.
The game was closer than the points reflected with Khorne winning by 775 VP's gaining a SV ( at least it was not a massacre), but if that BG had hit the marauders instead of the general, it could have been so different.

I made some key mistakes however, the chariots were on the wrong side, they had no room and had too many enemies, I should have put them on the right or just plowed them forwards in the middle, chariots are meant for charging not the other way round.Also I should have kitted the TK and TP out better, there are some real nice magical weapons that I did not take advantage of.
And as mentioned before, a key feature was I never got any of the spells off when I really needed them, I really should have taken a HLP, with a jar, this would have given me a huge boost in fighting his 8DD.
Still lessons learnt and a good night was had, thanks to Mr & Mrs Logan054 for being good hosts, and I'm off now to plot my revenge...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Ooh, tough game. It sounds like you did really well though, to be honest Khorne vs Tomb Kings is basically a foregone conclusion every time due to all the dispel dice.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
lol thats not the list i used, thats the list i was going to use, im just showing how much easier you had it, the list i used was..

Characters

Alk'Lasm'Khar
Exalted Daemon
- Mark of Khorne
- Might of Khorne
- Soul hunger

Kormak, Destroyer of Khorne
- Mark of Khorne
- Halberd
- Armour of damnation

Core

6 Knights of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Fullcommand
- Chosen

15 Warriors of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Halberds
- Fullcommand

19 Marauders of Chaos
- Great weapons
- Full Command

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Flails
- Musician

Special

Beast herd
-5 Gors with two weapons
-5 Ungors with spears

7 Chaos Furies

3 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons
-Mark of Khorne

3 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons
-Mark of Khorne

Rare

Sauron Ironhide
1 Bloodbeasts of Khorne

It certainly was a pretty good game, sadly as with any game of warhammer we both made mistakes, i think if i hadnt moved my minotaurs about a inch closer then then your TG wouldnt have got the charge, hell if my exalted hand been on the flank i think you TG would have been well and truly dead before you BG got into it (silly me!)

Man im loving the armour of damnation even more now :)

DarkHand6

Grave Guard
what wrong with the great fang? Blade of Blood? i like the hellfire sword as well

no good magic weapons? cant see what you mean

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
out of your list i would maybe use a great fang (i think many times a biting blade is just as good, again it has limited use), hellfire sword has very limited use and can only be used by a lord, these are far to expensive to begin with, D6 wounds isnt really needed, a rending blade is better as it cheaper, personally i wouldn't use either. Blade of blood is wank, with chaos you better of with either great weapon, halberd, flail or sword of might. So no, we dont have that great magic weapons, the are ok weapons but every time i think i would take a protective item.

Ahhh, english colloquialism - nothing quite like it :rolleyes:

Although it is true, nine times out of ten when playing with chaos your characters are usually better off with mundane weapons (GW, or flails).

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
blade of blood isnt very good Olaf ;) its never worth it on a hero unless he has the mark of nurgle, sadly the problem is chaos dont have alot of weapons that much use on heros and that lords really cost far to many points when take into account the cost of units. You have some which could be good however go over the bracket (like chaos runesword which is over priced anyways) and many which are really only designed for killing multi wound creatures (and thus have limited use).

Maybe i miss the old magic items in 5th ed somewhat, who knows, anyways, back to the topic, was a good game, i may actually do a kinda story write up for this battle at a later date (I will see what mode my game with EvC puts me in).