• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

3000pt army

I have a match this weekend.. Its against a father and son dad has stormcast and the son has khorne bloodborne.... We are playing a 3000pt game heres the list I came up with just wanted some thoughts

Abhorant Ghoul King on foot X1 100pts
Varghulf X1 160pts
Terrorghiest X1 320pts

Mourngul X1 400pts
Morghast Harbringers X4 480pts

Sprirt Hosts X12 480pts
Hex wraiths X5 160pts (or Dire wolves X10 120pts)
Blood Knights X10 520pts

Zombies X40 240pts
Corpse cart X1 80pts
Necromancer X1 120pts
Balewind Votex X1 100pts

Total 3120 or 3160

Was going to use the ghoul king scroll that has the +1 to hit and wound as my general.

Ist turn I was going to use the balewind vortex to summon a unit od harbringers behing enemy lines to take out the khorne standard bearer that buffs his whole army.

Charge with the hex wraiths followed by the blood knights so they get the charge.

Send the ghoul king varghulf, and other 2 harbringers and terroghist to clean up the khorne side

Send the rest to deal with the storm cast

What do you think

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hi!

The list looks solid enough to take on various enemies, but the diversity of them may prove difficult to make the right choice and send the right unit to clash against their best targets / combats.

Another thing that may be of concern is the lack of synergies between your troops:

Your General's Command Ability can only really affect Flesh-Eaters, in this case, I think only your Terrorgheist and Varghulf match that. If you could get your undead hands on a generic Vampire Lord, you would have a much better time buffing any Unit really, specially Blood Knights and Morghasts, since they can only receive buffs from Vampire Lords's Command Abilities, and are quite powerful.

Aside from that, you only have 2 Wizards, and one of them must (or should) always cast Mystic Shield on the Spirit Hosts / Hexwraiths / Mourngul for maximum effect (Mourngul being the best!), so you could consider adding another Hero there.

On the account of Synergy, Vaghulf's ability will be wased without any other Flesh-Eater units around to ressurrect, although the beast is quite dangerous in itself.

Finally, the Summoneable Morghast Harbingers is a nice tactic, although you'll be leaving all of their points in the Reinforcement Pool, and you can't bring all 4 of them on a single cast, unless it is done with Nagash. So you may want to field 2 of them and summon the other 2 when needed.

I'd recommend swapping the Varghulf for another Wizard. Could be Heinrich Kemmler, for instance (2 spells per turn) or just another Vampire to cast Spirit Blight on heavy targets / units to lower their damage output. A Coven Throne can be very useful here as well.

I don't know if you're limited by models, so I can only give you such hints.

Good luck! :D

I agree on the synergy thing.. But I took the AGK as a general as the gives all flesh eater court +1 To hit and wound and a vamp lord only grants one attack

Was thinking about swapping the hex wraith with a unit of 3 crypt ghouls..

Im taking on two armies at once stormcast and Khorne bloodbound

Send the flesh eaters to clean up the Khorne and the rest to take on the stormcast...

Use the spirit hosts as a shield for the blood knights so they get the charge..
was also thinking of having two units of 5 blood knights rather than a block of ten
as they would both get to resurect a fallen comrade each turn..

Deep strike the morghast to take out any vital buffing units

Only taking to zombies for battleline... I have 20 crypt ghouls but there abit more points
and the zombies are great in a horde....

Last edited:

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ah... I see the issue now ^^u

The version of the Abhorrant Ghoul King you're referring to is an outdated one. That keyword has been somewhat redesigned, with the introduction of Crypt Flayers. That's no longer his Command Ability.

Also, you'd need to cover the Battleline Unit tax for a 2500+ game from the General's Handbook, so you should split that zombie unit into 4 of 10's (you can merge them back up later in the game).

If you're going to buff a single unit with, say Blood Feast, then 10 Blood Knights is the way to go and just crash them against anything you want dead on the charge. If not, splitting them into 5's is best.

Varghulf and Terrorgheist (whose stats also changed a bit on the Flesh-Eaters side, mind you) are useful but won't survive long without support. Have at least the Hexwraiths accompany them to block a flank, and don't let them get surrounded.

Mourgul can tank anything he wants, just shield him and send him alone at big scary things, just remember you can't heal it by other means than his own with your current setup (Mortis Engine and/or Heinrich Kemmler can help).

Check out the General's Handbook on more information regarding army building, so that you can choose the General's Command Trait (not ability) and an Artifact of Power that can best suit your strategy!