• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
Since ive been starting all kinds off armys lately, heres my next project... my first 40K army, imperial guard cadians.
*hurray*
anyways, was painting this night and it came to my attention i dont have the right colours to finish the model. (needing some flesh colours since ive been painting undead for the last 5 years or so :P)
But the question is for the greys i use. Im wanting to buy a wash that fits right in with this grey scheme. so,.. a grey wash :/ not to dark pls! :P what do you guys recommend?
And here some pics to show my progress :D (i love those models!)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1291.jpg
(its dark here so this one is with flash)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1292.jpg
and this one was taken with lights all over the place (dont have a lighting box...)
so let me know what you guys think of him! (like i said, skin needs improvement but was out of liquid paints :/) and i also would like some tips on painting nice grey tones (only having used 2 tones at the grey now.)

tomorow ill post another one which i painted a bit different but is still in progress now and not even comparable to the first one.

Baldrick

Zombie
Feb 1, 2010
Hmmm, looking at that (although i'm not keen on the colour scheme admittedly,) I think i can help :)

1) The red looks a little thick to me... did you get it to the consistency of milk when painting?
2)For the grey, i'd start with Adeptus grey, then highlight it with Codex :), the camo seems fine though :)

All in all, a good start!

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
Thanks!

first of all,... it takes a little time to appreciate the colours since almost 80% of the IG armys are green flak armour :P (from what ive seen) and it looks really weird seeing something like this :/ But when i was painting it, i loved it immedeatly! Even when it was just red flak with grey overall. The colours just seemed to fit together.

On the camo itself,
Its my first camo ever, so i noticed some bits that need improvement. This includes mainly the shape of the red blobs. They scream a bit of 'cow' at the moment... so they need to be a little stretched out imho. But that will be done on the next soldier!

This afternoon ill be visiting my store to collect some nice greys and washes and the like. I had to paint this model using only fortress grey. and since im not the best colourmixer, it was quite hard getting the grey to look nice.

And yes, the red was a bit too thick when i started painting. also i used a brush that was too big. But i felt invincible once and again and F'ed it up a bit :P next model will be better taken care of

anyways, thanks for the comment :) i appreciate it

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
Love the color scheme; IG can have all sorts of schemes but people usually go for the greens, browns and sometimes grays. Can't say I've ever seen red:)

I think the model overall looks fine apart from some details you mentioned but a good wash will take care of that. The spots don't remind me of cows though...they look fine to me.
The grey also looks surprisingly good as you had to work with only Fortress Grey. I'm sure if you buy one or two in-between grays it'll look even better layered.

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
hej there, go and stop.... UPDATE TIME!
i just wanted to post some pics of my troops. :/ to keep me motivated and you guys informed ;)
here it goes

first squad as far as its done (stil needing red highlights and camospots, skin and metallic parts AND basing:/)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1300.jpg
and one with flash
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1297.jpg
and some links to halfway-there-cadians
grey troopers
also painted 1 up at the same time i did the sergeant... this is why i decided to go with the red scheme
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1301.jpg
hes just too... 1 colour kind of guy. grey blue metallic... all too much off the same. afterall its a fantasy game, i thought that the red would do better and look cooler :P

next up are some of my special comrads
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1295.jpg
there are some tiny conversions (mainly kitbashed one's)
standardbearer for example. and the 2 on the right.
the vox caster is 'special'. why? well... its ment to represent my brother 40.000 years later :P Ill be putting all my friends and heroes in this army, if they would fit the model/theme.
so,.... then we have these 2 guys
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1296.jpg
the right one should represent M.Bison. He'll get a flame sculpted in his hand. and will serve me as either a commissar or as a company commander or something like that
bison.jpg

the other one should represent guile in his everlasting charge stance which hes in like... 70% of the time before he does his famous guile kick :P (hair still needs to be scuplted on ofc.)
awww.rvgfanatic.com_mediac_400_0_media_DIR_590301_GuileSF.JPG

now i know... catachan bodys should have fit him better,... but due to the heavy cadian theme, i gave him some armor.. its a tradeoff... i dont want too many muppets in the army that dont belong there :P

so,... hope you liked the update. and i hope the many pics arent a problem for the site/members, otherwise i will post more links and less pics.

also, still thinking how to base them... idea crossed my mind to give em red sand with purple grass :/... but then they would turn into LSDcadians or something... some help is very appreciated on the basing manner :/

thats all for todays post

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
Oke, so i dont have my painting gear at home.. its at my brothers house. So i can only make scenery at home and paint at his place atm. Since im home, how about some scenery to fit the army.

The fully constructed watchtower
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_scenery_IMGP1320.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_scenery_IMGP1321.jpg
Then theres a WIP toll booth.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_scenery_IMGP1325.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_scenery_IMGP1326.jpg
accompanied by an elevator for the underground part off the base (a.k.a. guardsmen storage / sleepinggrounds - WIP)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_scenery_IMGP1327.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_scenery_IMGP1328.jpg
And offcourse an overall view with a few armless model to see the scale off things and to see how they look together.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_scenery_IMGP1330.jpg

comments and critisism always welcome :)

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Haha, I really like your soon-to-be M.Bison and Guile models. :) The Watchtower is looking impressive as well, I'm sure you'll be able to fix it up nice and proper, along with all those other constructions. :)

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
hurray! had some painting going on,... allmost finished these little bastards! :D
sometime,... ill take some pics with direct sunlight :P (its 1 o clock midnight here now,.... i guess you just cant abandon some vampiric rituals :P)
here are the pics. enjoy and comment pls.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1332.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1331.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1333.jpg
and yes,... henk is on some kind of harddrugs... hence his expresion :P i really cant paint eyes... so didnt even bother to try (yet) until i have a good tutorial... I always painted skeletons and the like... so eyes were never a big problem :P
so,... tell me what you think!
*quick edit- I only gave my special dudes names because they have 'exceptional weaponry' or something. This will come in handy when i get to converting some regular troopers. In my army there will be the rule 'if it doesnt have a name, hes a simple guardsmen... just a number :P'

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
reinforcements have arrived! :devil2:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1346.jpg

they add these numbers to my current list;
leman rus
hellhound
chimera
3 heavy weapon teams
20 guardsmen
1 sentinel
8 stormtroopers

and i already bought
20 guardsmen
3 heavy weapon platforms
sentinel
company command squad
platoon command squad

so, i like the stuff i got :) its not well painted (understatement) so it needs loads of work. But i got it fairly cheap and it should get me to some nice games!

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
oke,... guess what!?
QUADPOST!

ive been cutting some plants from sprues! its nice work to do and looks really amazing, though i should get better at it :P
here some pics!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1354.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1360.jpg

tell me what you think.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jun 9, 2009
The plants look cool, though i'm not sure i've seen many grey plants ;)

The red armour and metal areas looks good as well.

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
yeah i know. they need some paint... but the shapes you can get with this stuff is awesome! AND easy to do, so its a two players way (or something like that)

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Great work on your army so far, I really like the red/grey camo scheme you have going. How'd you create the plants like that? Run the exacto knife along the sprue?

Great work,

Jake

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
thanks jake,

i stumbled across this tutorial one day,... it seemed really hard to make it look right. but it actually is pretty do-able once you get the hang of it (mind these were my first 3 attempts ever...)
http://www.terrainmonster.com/terrain-building/scratch-building/carving-sprue-plants

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
I finally got to greenstuffing some stuff... it aint that much and im not the best GSer arround, but for now... they'll do! I present, bison and guile. (remember, they are cadianized Streetfighter chars, to keep coherency in my army (thats a big must))
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1379.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1378.jpg

and another mini project started, guardsmam marbo is on his way! Hes kind of done, but i dont know... C&C are very very welcome!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1372.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1373.jpg
i wanted him to be the only model that would be stuck in the jungle kind of thing. Also, i wanted his stealthy-ness/move trough cover/hes behind you kind off rules to be very clear to see. Hes behind plants on a big rocky feature. that should give a nice feel on the battlefield eh?
also, hes WYSIWYG, he has a kitbashed pistol kind of thing, a demolition charge (which i love... a huge pack TNT with a timer detonator on it :D) and a heavy machette!
still,... i dont know... he could use some more,... could be a paintjob, but could be more/less stuff on his base... C&C please!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
The machete looks a bit more like a scimitar. Love the kitbashed gun and the explosives rigged autocannon ammo drum. Perhaps a small ork choppa would make a better machete.

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
I have a little wip update for you all!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1390.jpg
im really pleased with his eyes (being the 2nd pair of eyes i ever painted)
the reds and blacks are done (most of em) but i still need to do lots of work on the blade, explosives, hair, face, and armour. :/... better get to painting then! :P

edit: @ sanai, i dont have any orc choppa's.. :( unlucky me

uga bug

Black Knight
Jan 3, 2010
Your models look great...even if the red does make them look like Khorne fanatics!

I also like the fact you're naming the 'special' guardsmen-the ones with equipment.

Loempiaketzer

Crypt Horror
Mar 14, 2009
Bat country
oke, when i made these pics i saw some stuff was missing on my marbo. (small highlights for example (and a black dot on his nose)
Ill be shure to put these to a correct version :P but, i dont want to waste the shoot i had with this awesome character! (fluffwise that is ;P) So i present to you, 95% finished marbo!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1396.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1401.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1400.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v143_loempiaketzer_Imperial_20guard_20cadians_IMGP1398.jpg
so, what i still need to do;
- teeth (will do that once i get experienced with that on other models.. dont want to screw this one up)
- black tipped nose
- highlights on the buttons off the explosive
- highlights on his 'KILL' & 'DIE' text on his shoulderpads
- his scope still needs to be done too

I also intented to do a facial cammo,... like rambo did. But i guess ill be trying that on some other models first too before i go bannannas on sweet old marbo.
So, tell me what you think!
Im pleased with the result already, so it could only get better :P

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Cammo is actually not as difficult as people make it out to be, depending on what style you use.
Kill and die on his shoulderpads? Neat idea. Now all you need to do is love and hate on his knuckles!
He looks incredibly baddass btw. Is he actually gunna be Marbo, or your regiments killy equivalent with a diff name?
Also, do you have some fluff for your army? The world they hail from?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu