• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

4500pt lists

Quinten

Grave Guard
I entered into a ninth age league and will be posting my lists here to be critiqued. All games in the league are 4500pts and you can change your list as much as you want but have to play the same faction each game. You will be told the secondary objectives and deployment before the game. Come playoffs the top eight players will submit one list and face off (not changing the list in between games). So far I went up against mono-nurgle and came out with the full 20pts.

Quinten

Grave Guard
My next game is against DE and I'm thinking of going with the following list:

Deployment: Refused Flank
Mission: Secure Target

Bloodline: BotD

Characters:

Vampire Count, Blessed Sword, BotD, Crimson Rage, General, Potion of swiftness, lucky shield, tailsman of supreme shielding - 720pts

Necromancer, Dispel scroll - 260pts

Necromancer, 4 learned spells, wizard master, book of arcane power, ring of fire, corpse cart (endless horde) - 710pts

Core:

30 zombies FC - 210pts

30 zombies FC - 210pts

20 zombies - 110pts

39 skeletons, spears FC - 410pts

Special:

5 dire wolves - 80pts

5 dire wolves - 80pts

8 ghasts FC - 670pts

Swift Death:

Varkolak - 360pts

Varkolak - 360pts

4 vampire spawn FC - 320pts

4500pts

Quinten

Grave Guard
Okay my next game is against Undying Legions. I'm really struggling with how to play around with my last points in this one. Currently, I have some barrow knights for catapult hunting. I would appreciate any thoughts to improve this. I'm thinking I could put in lots of dire wolves as the deployment is encircle:

Mission: Capture the Flags

Deployment: Encircle

+++ BoTDvUL (BS2.0 Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age v24) (4500pts) +++

++ Vampire Covenant (BS2.0 Vampire Covenant v10) ++

+ Uncategorised +

········Bloodline [Brotherhood of the Dragon]

+ VC Characters +

········Midnight Aristocracy [1 Learned Spell, Brotherhood of the Dragon Bloodline, Crimson Rage, Divine Icon, General, Occultism, Ogre Sword, Plate Armour, Shield, Sprout of Rebirth, Vampire Count]

········Necromancer [Evocation, Ring of Fire]

········Necromancer [3x Additional Learned Spells, Book of Arcane Power, Cadaver Wagon, Evocation, Wizard Master]

+ VC Core +

········Skeletons [Champion, Musician, 41x Skeleton, Spear]
············Standard Bearer
················Veteran Standard Bearer [Flaming Standard]

········Zombies [Musician, 20x Zombie]

········Zombies [Musician, Standard Bearer, 45x Zombie]

+ VC Special +

········Barrow Knights [7x Barrow Knight]

········Ghasts [Champion, 8x Ghast]

+ VC Swift Death +

········Vampire Spawn [Champion, 4x Vampire Spawn]

········Varkolak

········Varkolak

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

Quinten

Grave Guard
So v1.3 came out before I got a chance to play this list so I've had to make another one (mission, opponent, and deployment are the same though):

Vampire Covenant (BotD bloodline):

Characters:
Vampire Lord, BotD, General, Sword of Strength, Eternal Ring, Red Gauntlets, Shield, Plate Armour, Crimson Rage, Wizard Master, 2 Learned Spells (Occultism) - 870pts
Necromancer, 3 learned spells (evocation), Sceptre of Power - 280pts
Necromancer, 3 learned Spells (evocation), Corpse Cart (endless horde) - 450pts

Core:
41 Skeletons, Flaming Standard, FC - 475pts
20 zombies, musician - 130pts
45 zombies FC - 300pts

Special:
Altar of Undeath WITH THE BLASPHEMOUS TOME :bowdown: - 460pts
8 Ghasts - 650pts
5 Dire wolves - 80pts
5 Dire wolves - 80pts

Swift Death:
Varkolak - 360pts
Varkolak - 360pts

4495pts

This is my first 1.3 list so I'm really looking for some feedback. I'm thinking of taking a ghoulstar instead but the lack of musician really scares me. Plus I would probably go independent if I did and only take courtiers and my general is pretty hard to kill right now (4 wounds and ignores multiple wounds anyone?).

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
I think v1.3 did you some good :)

The list is looking pretty strong. I agree with your thought on Ghouls, without musician they are so hard to manoeuvre.

I'm not entirely sure about your necromacer setup. I guess it it pretty nice to have all the spells automatically, but it feels like a bit of a point waste. Also, considering the Flaming Standard on the Skeletons (which I think is a good choice), you could really benefit from a Alchemy Necromancer. Putting a Flammable counter on the unit the skeltons are fighting is a cheap way to get rerolls to wound. Would be even better if they had Spears. And if you put the Count in there it becomes really strong. Moving some points around in magic to get that third necro might be worth it.

Quinten

Grave Guard
I took into account your suggestions here (I actually had an alchemy necro in an earlier version of the list and the skeletons were supposed to have spears, they always had spears in my brain):
Vampire Covenant (BotD bloodline):

Characters:
Vampire Lord, BotD, General, Sword of Strength, Eternal Ring, Red Gauntlets, Shield, Plate Armour, Crimson Rage (Occultism) - 750pts
Necromancer, 4 learned spells, Wizard Master, Essence of a Free Mind (Evocation, Alchemy) - 430pts
Necromancer, 2 Learned Spells, (evocation), Corpse Cart (endless horde) - 400pts

Core:
41 Skeletons, Spears, Flaming Standard, FC - 475pts
45 zombies FC - 300pts

Special:
8 Ghasts, FC - 670pts
5 Dire wolves - 80pts
5 Dire wolves - 80pts

Swift Death:
Varkolak - 360pts
Varkolak - 360pts

4495pts

Think this list will work a bit better. I'm just praying that i roll re-roll to hit with my evocation spells. Any thoughts on my vampire load-out, is it too defence focused? Should I ditch the whole 4 wound idea and just give him a 1+ 4++?

Quinten

Grave Guard
So just realized I mis-read essence of a free mind. Here is another list:

Characters:
Vampire Lord, BotD, General, Sword of Strength, Eternal Ring, Red Gauntlets, Shield, Plate Armour, Crimson Rage, (Occultism) - 750pts
Necromancer, 2 learned spells, (Evocation) - 210pts
Necromancer, 2 Learned Spells, (Evocation), Corpse Cart (endless horde) - 400pts
Necromancer, (Alchemy), Wizard Master - 230pts

Core:
42 Skeletons, Spears, Flaming Standard, FC - 485pts
45 zombies FC - 300pts

Special:
8 Ghasts - 650pts
5 Dire wolves - 80pts
5 Dire wolves - 80pts

Swift Death:
Varkolak - 360pts
Varkolak - 360pts

4495pts

Think this list will work a bit better. I'm just praying that i roll re-roll to hit with my evocation spells. Any thoughts on my vampire load-out, is it too defence focused? Should I ditch the whole 4 wound idea and just give him a 1+ 4++?

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
I thought Essence of a Free Mind was a pretty cool idea, but might not be worth it since you would likely want that second Evocation of Souls in nearly every matchup.

What's you thought behind Wizard Master on the Alchemy necro? Seems like a waste since he only has one spell. I'd rather take another spell so that you have two chances of getting the attribute off.

The Count build looks cool. 4 wounds and immune to Multiple Wounds is a nice combo, and he still gets a 2+ armour save. Still quite strong damage output too.

Quinten

Grave Guard
I wanted +2 to dispel (as I'm playing UL so they will be magic heavy) and putting on an evocation guy is a waste and I'm not planning on really using occultism so I decided to throw it on the alchemy guy.

Quinten

Grave Guard
Just an update. I ended up playing my 4th game before my third and did not get a chance to post an update. Here was the list (the game was vs. KOE):
+++ VonkvKOE4500pts (BS2.0 Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age v31) (4500pts) +++

++ Vampire Covenant (BS2.0 Vampire Covenant v14) (4500pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

········Bloodline [Von Karnstein]

+ VC Characters (1770pts) +

········Midnight Aristocracy (730pts) [1 Learned Spell, Armour Of Destiny (90pts), Evocation, General (30pts), Jack's Pickaxe (70pts), Potion of Swiftness (10pts), Shield (10pts), Storm Caller (120pts), Vampire Count (350pts), Von Karnstein Bloodline (50pts)]

········Midnight Aristocracy (480pts) [1 Learned Spell (60pts), Armour Of Fortune (50pts), Evocation, Halberd (20pts), Refined Taste (50pts), Vampire Coutier (170pts), Von Karnstein Bloodline (50pts), War Standard (30pts)]
············Battle Standard Bearer (50pts) [Battle Standard Bearer (50pts)]

········Necromancer (400pts) [Additional Learned Spells (50pts), Evocation]
············Cadaver Wagon (190pts) [Endless Horde (20pts)]

········Necromancer (160pts) [Evocation]

+ VC Core (900pts) +

········Ghouls (330pts) [Champion (20pts), 20x Ghoul (360pts)]

········Skeletons (460pts) [Champion (20pts), Musician (20pts), 44x Skeleton (440pts), Spear, Standard Bearer (20pts)]

········Zombies (110pts) [20x Zombie (120pts)]

+ VC Special (1110pts) +

········Altar of the Undeath (460pts) [May take Dark Tome (60pts)]

········Ghasts (650pts) [8x Ghast (720pts)]

+ VC Swift Death (720pts) +

········Varkolak (360pts)

This got me a 14-6 victory but I made a dumb move that cost me secondary and a victory point so I counted it (at least for the list I made the error not it) as a 18-2 victory. Considering this guy was by far the best player I had played against yet I considered that pretty good.

Unfortunately, I then used it in my week 3 game (with one change the potion of swiftness became a lucky charm). This was a terrible decision as UD ignore hard target but I was just so pumped to use this list. The guy then brought a gunline with a casket of souls. I conceded turn 4 but through the entire game I got one spell off. I rolled snake eyes my first magic phase, a one and a three the second one and followed it up with some pretty bad dice rolling. He got pretty good magic rolls but he didn't need to heal so his magic phases were pretty underwhelming. I made a really stupid error and my ghasts ended up fighting flaming banner people. Needless to say this was a terrible defeat. A major blunder in list-building, a major blunder in my ghast mach-up and then the dice gods really rubbing it in.

I'm currently sitting at 56 points which is lining me up for a mid-tier playoff spot. This next game I go up against another vamp player who is currently undefeated. I know from certain sources he will be running a vonk blood knight cav-star (with the obvious sword).

Mission is capture the flags, deployment is frontline clash:
+++ New Roster (BS2.0 Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age v31) (4498pts) +++

++ Vampire Covenant (BS2.0 Vampire Covenant v14) (4498pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

········Bloodline [Strigoi]

+ VC Characters (1760pts) +

········Midnight Aristocracy (280pts) [Halberd (20pts), Strigoi Bloodline (90pts), Vampire Coutier (170pts)]

········Midnight Aristocracy (380pts) [Divine Icon (40pts), General (30pts), King Slayer (50pts), Strigoi Bloodline (90pts), Vampire Coutier (170pts)]

········Midnight Aristocracy (280pts) [Halberd (20pts), Strigoi Bloodline (90pts), Vampire Coutier (170pts)]

········Necromancer (450pts) [Additional Learned Spells (50pts), Evocation, Unholy Tome (50pts)]

········Necromancer (210pts) [Additional Learned Spells (50pts), Evocation]

+ VC Core (910pts) +

········Skeletons (380pts) [Champion (20pts), Musician (20pts), 36x Skeleton (360pts), Spear, Standard Bearer (20pts)]

········Zombies (210pts) [Musician (20pts), Standard Bearer (20pts), 30x Zombie (180pts)]

········Zombies (210pts) [Musician (20pts), Standard Bearer (20pts), 30x Zombie (180pts)]

········Zombies (110pts) [20x Zombie (120pts)]

+ VC Special (460pts) +

+ VC The Suffering (648pts) +

········Wraiths (324pts) [9x Wraiths (324pts)]

········Wraiths (324pts) [9x Wraiths (324pts)]

+ VC Swift Death (720pts) +

Quinten

Grave Guard
As I will not have collected that many wraiths I have had to make a new list:

+++ Strigoi List (BS2.0 Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age v33) (4499pts) +++

++ Vampire Covenant (BS2.0 Vampire Covenant v14) (4499pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

+ VC Characters (1780pts) +

········Midnight Aristocracy (800pts) [1 Learned Spell, Beastial Bulk (90pts), Eternal Ring- Midnight Aristocracy Only (100pts), General (30pts), Great Weapon (40pts), Shamanism, Strigoi Bloodline (90pts), Tullius' Teeth (100pts), Vampire Count (350pts)]

········Necromancer (500pts) [3x Additional Learned Spells (150pts), Evocation]

········Necromancer (160pts) [Alchemy]

+ VC Core (919pts) +

········Skeletons (465pts) [Champion (20pts), Musician (20pts), 40x Skeleton (400pts), Spear]
············Standard Bearer (65pts)
················Veteran Standard Bearer (45pts) [Flaming Standard (45pts)]

········Zombies (130pts) [Musician (20pts), 20x Zombie (120pts)]

········Zombies (162pts) [Musician (20pts), Standard Bearer (20pts), 22x Zombie (132pts)]

········Zombies (162pts) [Musician (20pts), Standard Bearer (20pts), 22x Zombie (132pts)]

+ VC Special (780pts) +

········Dire Wolves (80pts) [5x Dire Wolves (60pts)]

+ VC Swift Death (1020pts) +

········Vampire Spawn (300pts) [4x Vampire Spawn (320pts)]

The plan is to conga line zombies/chaff his deathstar as much as possible. Hopefully, my hard hitting stuff can take home the victory.

Quinten

Grave Guard
I'm thinking of changing out the strigoi vamp for a crimson rage one or multiple strigoi courtiers. Thoughts? I don't know if eternal ring is the best choice either as vampires lack multiple wound stuff. Plus with a vampire knight star I'm not expecting GG.

Quinten

Grave Guard
I think I'm going with the following:

+++ Strigoi List (BS2.0 Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age v34) (4499pts) +++

++ Vampire Covenant (BS2.0 Vampire Covenant v14) (4499pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

+ VC Characters (1790pts) +

········Midnight Aristocracy (410pts) [General (30pts), Halberd (20pts), Strigoi Bloodline (90pts), Tullius' Teeth (100pts), Vampire Coutier (170pts)]

+ VC Core (909pts) +

········Skeletons (455pts) [Champion (20pts), Musician (20pts), 39x Skeleton (390pts), Spear]
············Standard Bearer (65pts)
················Veteran Standard Bearer (45pts) [Flaming Standard (45pts)]

+ VC Special (780pts) +

I considered giving the general the eternal ring instead and probably will against most opponents but with vamps it seems kinda useless.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Quinten I think the Skeleton unit looks a bit small, if I'm reading the format right. You don't really have much that can offer a reliable centre of the army. Could be wrong though since I don't really know what those Strigoi Courtiers are capable of.

I think Tullius' Teeth is a good choice. On a Count I would take the Ring, but doesn’t feel worth it on the small guy.

To me it feels like you are going a bit overboard with 4 units of dog. I was never fond of them myself due to the lack of Light Troops, but maybe you can make them work.

Quinten

Grave Guard
@Quinten I think the Skeleton unit looks a bit small, if I'm reading the format right. You don't really have much that can offer a reliable centre of the army. Could be wrong though since I don't really know what those Strigoi Courtiers are capable of.

I think Tullius' Teeth is a good choice. On a Count I would take the Ring, but doesn’t feel worth it on the small guy.

To me it feels like you are going a bit overboard with 4 units of dog. I was never fond of them myself due to the lack of Light Troops, but maybe you can make them work.
The first magic phase I'll just cast evocation of souls so I'm likely going into combat with at least 48 skeletons with a somewhat likely 50+ unit size. Plus I get 12 S6, lightning reflexes, ws6, I6, hatred attacks which should do a bit of damage.

The dogs are in the list because of who I'm playing. If you go back 632 posts you will realise that this list is against a blood knight deathstar. Since he is VC he likely has few counters to mass chaff and since it is a deathstar chaff is good anyways. But half the fun of the game for me is making lists so I tend to go a bit overboard in the brain-storming phase, post a million lists and then the original conditions (like who I'm playing) are buried.

I just thought with the 4 wounds on strigoi the ring might be nice. Plus it stops lethal strike.

Thanks for the feedback and I like your new title :D.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Quinten: I missed the Cadaver Wagon on the necro, that makes things a whole lot cooler. Those Courtiers will certainly put some hurt into the foes. Still, I think the skeletons should be bigger. Going into combat with 50+ model is nice, but going in with 60+ is nicer. Not sure what I would shave though, since going down to only 3 scoring units might be unwise...

Against a cav Deathstars the wolves make a lot of sense indeed.

I too am quite fond of the title, thank for giving me the idea :tongue:

Quinten

Grave Guard
I won the game 12-8 against the VC guy (would have put his GG deathstar under 25% model count if I had remember my varakolak's stomps) putting me in 4th place and him in 5h place. So I play VC first round in playoffs. Second round I would most likely play undying dynasties but maybe beast herds and if I do make it to the finals it will almost certainly be against wood elves. I'm Thinking of going with an extremely similar list as getting 12 S6 hatred attacks with lightning reflexes was insane. I would highly recommend trying it. It was basically removing 10-11 models every round of combat.

+++ Strigoi List (BS2.0 Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age v34) (4500pts) +++

++ Vampire Covenant (BS2.0 Vampire Covenant v14) (4500pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

+ VC Characters (1790pts) +

········Midnight Aristocracy (410pts) [General (30pts), Halberd (20pts), Strigoi Bloodline (90pts), Tullius' Teeth (100pts), Vampire Coutier (170pts)]

+ VC Core (910pts) +

········Skeletons (450pts) [Champion (20pts), Musician (20pts), 43x Skeleton (390pts), Spear]
············Standard Bearer (20pts)

········Zombies (168pts) [Musician (20pts), Standard Bearer (20pts), 23x Zombie (138pts)]

+ VC Special (780pts) +