• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

What point value do think should be the new standard

Votes: 5 12.5%

Votes: 9 22.5%

Votes: 1 2.5%

Votes: 12 30.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 5.0%

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
There have been wild debates about this all around. I ask you which makes more sense to you in a tournament envoirment?

Feel free to add you motivation as well.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I went 3000, purely because of the fact of the boost of larger units and I think it will allow all the rules and percentages to come into play without being OP or restrictive.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Colchester
To be honest with the price of GW models unless you already have a large army i cant see many people wanting to buy and extra 1k of stuff, i would certainly love to okay some 3k games with my VC but i do not fancy having to paint that many skeletons :O:'(

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
2400 for me. Much like the 2250 increase I think this is logical step due to it allows you to round up some points for your units, or not and get more monsters or whatnot! Not everything at once but force upon you to really make an army list, not just go for 'the good stuff'.

When we reach 3k there is nothing you won't afford and you can start to seriously stack up "broken units" because at 3000 the restriction for duplicated units gets lifted. Ie, you can't have more than 2 of the same rare, 3 of the same special choice but at 3k you get get 4 and 6 respectively. My point is that it is likely it will be too easy for some armies to cover their bases and I imagine other armes might just look a bit swamped in their deployment(like horde armies).
It also paves way for a whole lot more characters.

People are not nice when it comes to tournaments and I simply do not trust people at 3k. The larger games get, the worse the 'beardy' or 'cheesy' armies become and, as said above, no one is going to be leave anything behind. In short,it just makes the process of army list building too easy. I am well aware that I can also take everything but there are plenty of armies out there that does not have a whole lot to bring and as a result the power level drops drastically while other armies soaring into the skies.

I think 3k would work very well in casual/friendlier but for tournaments I think we need to reign in the players some, so that's why I went for 2400 but I'll consider 2500 as well(the number that I've heard being discussed at the moment).

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
I know Fantasia Fanatic thinks about going for 2500 points, which seems reasonable. It would be great if games are faster, so we can squeeze in 6 games per tournament instead of the usual 5.

Nov 6, 2009
3k is a great place to start. It should take about two to three hours to play, and will have plenty of models on the table so it will look like an actual battle.
The 3k mark also allows for Dragons, Demons and other center-piece models to join up.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
2,000. I don't have the time, and I really don't have the money for more then that. Maybe if I played at an indie store and could use some non-GW models, but at us$2.50 per skeleton, and us$3.30 per wight (and probably over $4 per wight by the end of the year), large armies are just out of my budget.

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
It seems the 3k being new thing was mere speculation, an exaggration of the idea that 'BATTLES GOES SO MUCH FASTER!!!!!". The number I am seeing is 2400 or 2500 at the very most but for now the 2250 value is the one that seem to stick around. The reason for keeping it around where it is stem from the fact that people do not want people to be able to field Kairos, dual steam tanks and so on. Let's face it, tournament players are not known for holding back(and why should they?).

I am going to keep on rolling at 2250. If it gets up towards 2400-2500, then it won't take much effort to add a few units here and there.

Giladis

Ghoul
Aug 31, 2007
Zagreb
Guys in my area are also debating this any many wan't to increase to either 2500 or 2999. I personaly would like to return to 2000 as it was 7 years ago. With all the new infantry boosting rules and stuff you can get a solid force under those points.

The only reason people are screaming for bigger points limits is so they can use their GD and Lords on Monsters.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
I put 3000, but I'd really be going at 2999. I don't like the unit restrictions that are lifted at 3K, but I really like that size game. I regularly played 1999 games in 7'th edition, because I liked the lack of uber characters and beasties, and 3K will be about the same in my mind.

Except I'll truly be able to field legions, which is what I want.

so 2999 for me.

Lord Skrolk

Skeleton
Dec 12, 2008
I would say 2,800 pts is a good place to start IMO. It gives you that little extra (at least if your used to playing 2,500) necessary to get some horde units, is a nicely divisible number in terms of % allowances and most importantly stops it getting silly with amounts of Rare and Specials. Personally as a Vamp player I know its ace fun (for me) to have all those cool units, but it does tend to lean towards to more cheesy, beardy and what I hate most POWER GAMER! type army. Not fun for your opponent and not very tactical either. :grave:

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I voted for keeping it at 2250.

Personally, as long as it's 2999 or less it's fine by me! (Allowing quad rares is silly!)

Danceman

True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
Lord Skrolk said:
Personally as a Vamp player I know its ace fun (for me) to have all those cool units, but it does tend to lean towards to more cheesy, beardy and what I hate most POWER GAMER! type army. Not fun for your opponent and not very tactical either. :grave:

This is my major concern as well. Every single powerful toy will reach the battlefield and those who do not have shiny toys are left even further back.

The only reason people are screaming for bigger points limits is so they can use their GD and Lords on Monsters.

This a part of the problem, least from what I gathered from the Daemonic Legion forum and also people who use dragons a lot. The other terrible by-prouduct for armies with cheaper heroes is that there will be units having the front rank made up of characters.

Also, bumping the 'standard' up with nearly 750-1000 points for most tournament players is not a small increase. That's nearly half of the army!

We've all seen the kind of lists 3k 'Ard Boys tournament generates...

Keep in mind this poll was for tournament standards, not for casual play where I definitely could see myself having a 2999 battle or two.

Yanda

Black Knight
Mar 7, 2010
Calgary, AB
its been my assumption all along that GW planed to make 8th edition with intentions of the point values going up for tournaments. This also results in alot more sales which is why they bumped up there prices. GW knew what would happen if they added the horde rule among other things.

Dec 22, 2008
Ventura
Things are going to be dying faster. You need more men! And then you need more stuff to kill WITH...the cycle keeps going on and on.

Casual:
2500 simply because most don't have all the money for a full 1k pts more, added on top of rethinking your list for 7th.
2999 max though

Tourny:
For tournaments I'd also have to say 2500 since it does give you that nice large army that can be used strategically and has that flexibility. Yet it doesn't give the green light to bring in the 3k+ "fun"

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
2500 points gets my vote. To keep things at 2250 in 8th ed means that you will have to cut fun and good stuff from the list, they won't work the same as they did in 7th due to the 25% crappy core requirement. 2500 is really the 2250 of 8th ed.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Mar 2, 2008
A place somewhere.
I've only played one 3,000 point game of 8th Edition so far, but right now it seems like the normal points value of 2,000-2,250 won't change. With army selection in percentages more characters are available than ever, so there is very little incentive to move to a larger value (such as 3,000) besides having more points to play with for larger units. Suck it up and take less of them, then. xD

Angel

Ghoul
Mar 26, 2010
Sweden
I guess that 2500 might be the new value. 3000 is a bit daunting for beginners because of all the models that you need to buy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu