• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Jul 21, 2009
Interesting discussion -

Not sure if this contributes or not - but the Night Lords legion of Chaos Space Marines are very vampiric - lots of bat and fanged skull imagery, combined with a prediliction for attacking at night (previous codex even had Night Sight as standard for Night Lords forces).

Actually I've thought about adding a Night Lords squad to my Chaos army, including a sorceror, and using zombies or some sort of ethereal troop as daemons. Hmm...

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
ok. so i was thinking long and hard about this, and i believe i may have come up with a pretty feasible 40k Vampire/undead background. no rules yet or anything, unfortunately. if anyone wants to help me make some after reading this, please be my guest!

lets say not too long after the disappearence of the fledgling primarchs, when the Emperor was conducting his studies into creating the space marine legions, he requested some aid or theories from the Adeptus Mechanicus to help him in his experiments. because of this, there was a faction of the Adeptus Mechanicus that then turned to focusing on nanotechnology. it isn't really covered too well as far as i know in 40k fluff, but after reading through all the Inquisitor background, there are definitely massively different sects within the AM who focus on various aspects of technology, so the development of some kind of nanotech is feasible in my eyes.
So some crazy sect of the AM creates a form of nanobot, that, when entered into a human host, begins to constantly upkeep and augment the internal systems of the human, effectively nullifying the process of aging, as well as greatly enhancing strength, mental/psycher abilities, etc. (creating what i would call the 'undying'.)
these nanobots were originally meant to be self-powered, but due to some flaw in design, they begin to power themselves by consuming the energy within the hosts' bloodstream.
eventually, the host begins to need regular 'feedings' of fresh blood, to maintain the effectiveness of the nanos, which begin to further augment the physicality of the host, to suit it's new predatory role. As well, the blood-energy allows the nanobots to self-replicate in a number of ways. the Bots may make exact copies of themselves, to be transfused into a new host, effectively creating other undying. this takes massive amounts of blood-energy, however, and a complete transfusion of blood between the two individuals.
The second form of replication would be the creation of 'nano-slaves', that, when injected into a host, put the unfortunate creatures body and mind into direct control of the undying that infected it. these nano-slaves can keep the hosts' body moving by manipulating the internal systems of the host, long after it has actually died and ceased to be sentient.(thus creating zombies and such for the undying to control!)

so, long story short, this tech was seen as an abomination, and was decreed heretical technology that should heretofore be expunged from the records of the AM. However, the crazy Tech-magos who created them becomes convinced that these nanobots are pretty cool-beans, the true ascention between humanity and the machine-spirit, or some such nonsense, and then promptly escapes and flies away somewhere to create his very own undying empire! probably on a planet far, far away, with little or no contact with the sun, which after all would add the additional fluffines of having the undead-ish sun allergy!
the linkage to the adeptus mechanicus would allow for some concievably awesome 'necro-tech' too, all manner of mechanized undead constructs, liche-like sub-commanders, the possibilities are endless!!

thats pretty much what i have so far, but as far as suitable and inspiring miniatures go, check out the Cryx range of miniatures from the Warmachine game, some of those things are just absolutely perfect! i know i'm going to be getting some and going conversion-crazy!

so what do y'all think? any good? criticism and/ or additional expansions to this theme are welcome!

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
I do like the idea of rogue nanotech taking over the host, & I'd like to inform you that there is canon background of Imperial nanotechnology in the Necromunda Spire Hunter (Spyrer) faction, who use highly advanced combat suits to stalk & butcher innocent hive gangers in order to prove their worth to the Imperial ruling elite. I think there is rtoom to expand on the nanotech aspect, & I think it would really fit with the idea of 'vampirism'. I would also say that the strengths & vulnerablilities are also quite mutable & you can really do whatever you want with it.

There's a bit of information on Spyrer gangs in this .pdf:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1330054_Nec_Spyrer_Gangs.pdf
but the oblique reference to them using nanotech is in one of the Tau codices, I'm pretty sure I read it in the first Tau book.

Malcadon Spyrers in particular have aspects which could be parallelled (ooh, I've invented a verb!) with vampires, they have a distinctly spiderish aesthetic, using stealth to approach their target & web spinners to entangle their target before dissecting it with enormous claws. If you were going to make Spyrer influenced vampires I'd start with something resembling the Malcadon combat suit, but not stop at the dissecting, recalling what spiders & vampires do to hapless prey.

If I weren't wasting valuable academic time writing this I'd even offer to work with you in creating some background & imagery. As it is, I can merely approve.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
That idea sounds really good. The nanotech really answers a lot of questions that people might have, and it allows for some freedom of building on it.

To be honest its the best fluff I have heard for us to create our own space vamps.

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
sweet!! thanks guys, i'm really glad that there's been some positive feedback about this concept, it kind of struck a chord with me, and i intend to pursue it unto completion! If anyone wants to help me with this, or even make this an official Carpe Noctem project, similar to the bloodlines army project, please feel free to let me know!!(i have never designed an army rules or concept before, so all help is appreciated!!)
also, with no disrespect to Games Workshop or Citadel (i have spent thousands over the years on them and love the minis!) i Have pretty solid plans to use some warmachine Cryx minis to actualize this concept!

Goreshade the cursed (or his 'bastard' incarnation) are both spectacular representations of a vampire in powered, or even terminator armor. it even has some perfectly stylized exhaust vents for the armor, and with some minor conversions this guy could easily be packing a master-crafted plasma pistol or some other gloriously killy gun! the Asphyxious model would make a perfect Necrarch, or possibly some other kind of Lich or necromancer psyker. Several of the Bone and Helljacks would also make a totally convincing Undead Dreadnought.

As for rules, i have been trying to enmesh the concepts of the classic VC Army, without breaking any of the rules for 40k. For example, there is no real psychology for fear in 40k. I mean, if A bloodthirster doesn't get terror in 40K, it's pretty unreasonable to assume your entire army could cause opponents to flee!
However, if special morale-check inducing psyker attacks (for example a 12" magic missile that does D3 S4 AP4 hits, causes break tests with a -1 modifier for every wound caused) were created, this could compensate perfectly for this lack of game mechanic, and add a personal touch to the concept of causing fear in enemy troops! (perhaps it can be dual purpose, causing a morale check in enemy troops, but if cast onto your own unit in the shooting phase, it heals D3 wounds and causes the enemy to auto-break if defeated by said unit in combat!)
A psychic test to "reanimate d6 troops in a unit within 12" rule could allow for the resurrection of some of your men, which would be of course invaluable to the whole Undead Vampire experience!

In fantasy, each player has the potential to tailor an army towards having heaps of power-dice, which makes the magic phase a WAYY different beast to the one-off psychic power concept of 40k.
since the VC is a very Magic-dependant army, some synthesis is going to be in order. My ideal vision is a flexible army that can either be played as a 'magically regenerated weak-but-numerous horde' army, or a smaller but super tough bunch of monstrous abominations, that require less psyker upkeep, or anything in between the two (kind of like nids or a Blood Knights-heavy VC Army i guess).
to combat the problem of only having one psychic power per turn, i thought of a really fun-but risky Nano-Vamp trait, (which could be one in a much larger list!):
Warp-Leech: Nanites have a profound affect on the psyche, activating areas of the brain that previously slumbered. The Undying may open his mind to the warp, becoming a massive conduit to barely controllable forces. This is, of course, Incredibly risky, as there are Powers within the warp that can crush even the mightiest of minds. The Undying may make up to 3(!!) psychic tests in It's turn, but with each extra use, the perils of the warp become even more likely. (once you fail a test-even your first!- you may no longer make subsequent tests, until the turn is over.)
1st test: No double 1's, 6's, as normal. 2nd test: No double 1's, 2's 5's or 6's. 3rd test: NO DOUBLES! Character takes an extra wound if the second test is failed, and 2 extra wounds if the 3rd test is failed. No saves, sucessful invulns must be re-rolled.

ok, thats all i have the juju for right now, but i'll be back with more ideas and concepts, possibly some stats, soon!

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
Some thoughts on possible spells and abilities:

Pillar of Shadows: lasts until the end of the following turn.
(a psychic power much akin to the old Space Wolf Rune-priest power Storm Caller, as well as the new Tyranid Venomthrope's ability to create a concealing cloud of spores.)
The Nano-vamp summons a swirling maelstrom of Warp-shadow to conceal himself, and those close to him. this would allow a 4+ cover save in the opposing player's shooting phase, to all models underneath the Large Blast marker, which would be centered on the caster. if the caster or affected models then charge into assault, or are assaulted in the subsequent turn, he and all friendly models under the large blast template act as if fighting from cover. Enemies engaged in combat under the template must make an initiative check (6's always fail) or fight at -1WS.
This power may seem a little over the top, but keep in mind it's near twin did once exist for the space-wolves, and my guess is that the majority of our army will not be toughened bad boys with 3+ armor saves, so this may well be essential for a close-combat oriented army with unexceptional armor saves on the majority of it's units.

Once per Game in the owning player's shooting phase, the Nano-vamp may make the following attack:
Nano Swarm. Range: Flame Template. strength:X. AP1,(invulnerable saves apply)
assault 1/template.
(there is no strength, because models hit by the attack must make a toughness test(6's autofail), or immediately suffer instant death, and be replaced by a nanozombie/larger beastie(depending on the number of wounds on the unit's base stats). this attack does not work on everything, obviously. vehicles suffer a S8 melta-hit(2d6 penetration), and monstrous creatures who fail their toughness tests, (and any invulnerables that they may have,) "only" suffer D3 wounds.
This, too, sounds crazy, but i love the odd, one-off, ace in the hole spell that has the potential to turn games around!

also, what do you guys think of this for the Nanovamp HQ Base stats, and what would his points cost be?

WS7, BS5, S5, T5, W3, I8, A4, LD10,
Wargear: power armor, frag&krak grenades, power weapon and bolt pistol.
wargear options: artificier upgrade, master crafted weapon option, jump pack, bike,
choice of guns: storm bolter, combi-bolter, plasma pistol, hand-flamer.
CCWeapon options: Force weapon upgrade, lightning claw(s),Power Fist, or, the (VERY points costly) Nano-blade!!! this is a weapon that essentially counts as a +1strength force weapon, 2d6 vehicle penetration, re-roll to wound, and models killed by it (aside from monstrous creatures, vehicles, and some races discussed in a minute)
are turned into nano-creatures of some kind. perhaps 1 wound troops will get turned into nanozombies, and anything with 2+ wounds will turn into a slightly larger 2 wound nasty.

The Races that i would see being immune, or susceptible to the Nanite madness:
Tau. they have no warp potential, so to the nanites, their blood holds no sustenance whatsoever. thus the nanites cannot thrive within them!
Necrons: umm, they don't have blood. the nanites are like ROfL, WtF?
(I promise to refrain from l33tsp33k from here on out! hehe)
Orks: they may not seem so, but the orcs are somewhat psychic. their technology doesn't work in the hands of any other race, and their orky logic tends to slightly Warp the universe. (red trukks, anybody?) so i'd say the Nanites could eat/possess them just fine.
Tyranids: Hmm not sure. any suggestions? part of me say's they're fair game, the foul ichor within them holds plenty of Hive-mind Warpy goodness, but then again i think the hive mind would probably rebel, fighting to regain control of it's P(r)awns.
Mankind: all good, except for Possessed human Daemonhosts, and space marines heightened bodily defences would probably reject it, especially followers of Khorne. he's the Ever-Thirsting-BloodGod, and any little pesky bots trying to Mack on his proverbial Cheese-fries would probably get boiled, or zapped in some fashion. Also, if they tried to possess Obliterators, they would probably find some pretty hostile Daemonic nano-machines already in residence.
Eldar: Yummy.
Dark Eldar: A little greasy, but same as Eldar.
Daemons: Nope! true, the nanites like warp-energy, but it's in a similar way that fishes like Oxygen. it needs to be diffused within water/blood, for the fish/nanite to gain what they need. a nanite in pure warp energy is like a fish on land; plenty of the right stuff, but no way to harvest it. the nanites would simply overload and sizzle.

up next, probably some vampyric trait-esque options. I want them to be Uber, but i'm thinking, for fairness and simplicity, the Rules should be to only be able to take one or two.

peace for now!

Count Erick

Wight King
Dec 28, 2008
Just some quick comments.

Pillar of Shadows: lasts until the end of the following turn.
It looks good, but why is it a large blast template? If its centered on the model casting it, why don't you just make it "The model and any unit it has joined". It would simplify things, and using templates for cover saves is more Warmachine's thing anyway...

I also think the HQ's WS and I might be a tad high. WS-6 and I-6 base should be good. You can always use things like bloodline powers to upgrade him anyway.

Also, I think there needs to be more background written before we can start giving them very technologically advanced items like Power Armour, Bikes and Jump-Packs.
Where would they get these items? Can these Nano-machines infect things like Space Marines with hyperactive immunities? It would also be neat to give these nano-vampires some archotypical vampiric traits, like an aversion to sunlight. Perhaps the newer nano-machines delicate structures are damaged by the radiation coming from most bands of light, which would cause those vampires who spend time in daylight to feed more often to replace those lost machines.

however I would kinda like to see some race-specific ranged weapons, perhaps a gun that fires a leaching ray that drains the target of energy? But again, there need to be some decisions about how widespread this race is and what kind of technological backing it has.

Tau. they have no warp potential, so to the nanites, their blood holds no sustenance whatsoever. thus the nanites cannot thrive within them!
Firstly, It would be a massive leap for nano-machines designed to work on human physiology to work on an Aliens body...So I would question whether any aliens would be affected at all. (I can see them being 'leached' for energy, but not much else.) However, if aliens can be affected, I see no reason why Tau wouldn't be. They do, in fact, have a warp presence, its just very small. I don't see any reason why energy-draining nano-machines would not drain them. Their a biological, intelligent life-form.
Actually, affected Tau might very well be where some of the technology your Vampires are using is coming from.

An Infected Tau, by dint of not having a large Warp-Presence, would need to feed constantly and would probably have an emaciated appearance. They would be physically weaker than other undying, but would be able to make up for it with greater technological support.
Imagine an Earth-Cast Tau with an eternity to master their technological arts.

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
thanks for your input, i do have some responses to answer your questions.

I agree that the concept of the blast-marker cover is a little more technically fiddly, and the unit he is in would be a lot easier to deal with, but I think the idea I'm going for is to try and be extremely cinematic, and having a huge pillar centered around your lord that may or may not cover certain units close by seems a little more exciting than just him and the unit he is with. Plus, what if he has chosen to stay solitary? then the power would be useless.

"I also think the HQ's WS and I might be a tad high. WS-6 and I-6 base should be good. You can always use things like bloodline powers to upgrade him anyway."

I agree, the stats i wrote were epic, but Geez, a C'tan has a toughness of eight with who know how many wounds,!! carnifexes strength 9!! there are all sorts of ridiculously tooled out special characters in this game which may seem out of whack, but thats in the spirit of the endeavour! if you think my Nanovamp lord seems too overpowered, go pick up a chaos codex and browse through Abbadon the Despoiler. Then get back to me. :tongue:
Also, i have no plans to do a direct bloodlines translation, the idea of Space-carstein and space-sylvania with space-lahmia seems a little too direct, there may be focus on spellcasting builds or melee-monster builds, but a strigoi would not fare well in the voids of space with nothing but his wee loin cloth for armor.

"Also, I think there needs to be more background written before we can start giving them very technologically advanced items like Power Armour, Bikes and Jump-Packs.
Where would they get these items? Can these Nano-machines infect things like Space Marines with hyperactive immunities?"

If you read a little closer, you'll see i covered all of this already. considering their background originates within the Adeptus Mechanicus, i believe a jetpack or two, and a bike doesn't seem out of order. i covered that in my first post. Plus, Vampires on bikes is the closest thing to Blood knights that this game can really have, save for giving them actual horses..... which is possible!!!(hmmmmm.......)

Space Marines would not accept the virus, i agree with you there, i believe i mentioned something of the sort.
I really don't mean any disrespect, i know i am rambling and wordy when i write, but 3/4 of this game involves accurate reading of esoteric rules. so hopefully it's not too unbearable.

'I would kinda like to see some race-specific ranged weapons, perhaps a gun that fires a leaching ray that drains the target of energy'

possibly, i want to keep very reminiscent technology with some tweaks here and there, i would like most of the necromantic like abilities to be warp/nano based with psychic tests to keep them fair. 'vampire guns' seem kind of wierd, but vampires WITH guns seem awesome!!!

"Firstly, It would be a massive leap for nano-machines designed to work on human physiology to work on an Aliens body...So I would question whether any aliens would be affected at all. (I can see them being 'leached' for energy, but not much else.)"

These nanomachines, by design, were so smart and adaptable, and powerful, they were deemed heretical and forbidden. they can adapt to almost any living host, but living in a Tau would be like living in a desert. it would be possible, but why would they?
if, for some odd reason they were after the micro-speck of warp-potential within a Tau, they would probably try and infect an Ethereal and then corrupt Tau Society from within. It would be next to impossible. NanoVamps retain their free will, so unless the NanoVamp Ethereal decided to turn his back on the Greater Good and go on a planet-wide blood rampage, consuming the blood of 12,000 Tau, where 5 Humans would have sufficed, chances are the Nano's are going to kick it where the party's at.

"Actually, affected Tau might very well be where some of the technology your Vampires are using is coming from."

I just can't see a vampire lord in arcane dark armor holding a little yellow tau pulse rifle, i wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry!!

"An Infected Tau, by dint of not having a large Warp-Presence, would need to feed constantly and would probably have an emaciated appearance. They would be physically weaker than other undying, but would be able to make up for it with greater technological support."

The Tau may have some cool tech, but I'm guessing a rogue Adeptus mechanicus, his mind expanded by Horrific Nanotechnology, could come up with a cooler idea or two than the rigid-minded, utilitarian philosophy of Tau tech.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
OK before we go any further lets stop a minute please.

It looks like we have some decent ideas to start off with. I am inclined to start this into a user project, especially as the others are nearing completion.

Morbraelle - Your fluff is great, however for this to work I think it would have to be adapted. As with all user projects, it works on a group consensus, so if you want this to be a project CN supports, you would have to be willing to break down your fluff, incoporate different points of view to end up with a final result most are happy with.

Finally, can people just post "Yes" or something if they would be interested in creating this army, using the nanotech fluff. I will have to see a reasonable amount of interest to agree to this being turned into a user project.

From me:

Yes

Count Erick

Wight King
Dec 28, 2008
Plus, what if he has chosen to stay solitary? then the power would be useless.
The example I gave said 'the model and any unit it has joined' however, it isnt a big deal.

I agree, the stats i wrote were epic, but Geez, a C'tan has a toughness of eight with who know how many wounds,!!
Thats because ITS A FUCKING C'TAN! It destroys entire species just for kicks!

if you think my Nanovamp lord seems too overpowered, go pick up a chaos codex and browse through Abbadon the Despoiler. Then get back to me.
What's your point?
*Facepalm* You cannot use Abaddon the fucking Despoiler, Chosen of the Gods, the greatest champion of Chaos in ten thousand years as a reason to make something better than what it should be. That makes absolutely no sense.
Thats like me showing up to a game against Eldar and saying "yea, because the Chaos players have Abaddon, is it OK if I give my Chapter Master str5 toughness5?"

Also, i have no plans to do a direct bloodlines translation, the idea of Space-carstein and space-sylvania with space-lahmia seems a little too direct, there may be focus on spellcasting builds or melee-monster builds, but a strigoi would not fare well in the voids of space with nothing but his wee loin cloth for armor.
Firstly, I never mentioned "direct bloodline translation."
Secondly, you say just a little farther down "Plus, Vampires on bikes is the closest thing to Blood knights that this game can really have"
If your not doing a "direct bloodline translation." why in the hell are you trying to make a translation for Blood Knights?

If you read a little closer, you'll see i covered all of this already. considering their background originates within the Adeptus Mechanicus, i believe a jetpack or two, and a bike doesn't seem out of order.
As you stated, they where developed ten thousand years ago, by the Adeptus Mechanicus.
After ten thousand years of exile and revilement I highly doubt that whatever connections they had TEN THOUSAND YEARS AGO mean anything now.

I just can't see a vampire lord in arcane dark armor holding a little yellow tau pulse rifle, i wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry!!
...you do realize dont you, that Pulse Rifles arent the only weapons in the Tau's arsonal?
Would you be laughing when you saw a Vampire Lord wielding a Railgun?

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
Erick, it appears we got off on the wrong foot.
I apologize if i came off as brash or blunt. This is meant to be a fun collaboration in which everyone who contributes gains something, and if it devolves into us arguing over our different perceptions of gaming, nobody wins. So again, apologies.

I completely agree that the C'tan and Abbadon are both super-epic, because they have been justifiably written into the universe as such. and they compensate for power in points-cost. I have no desire to stymie this and say something silly like "the Nanovamp is the most powerfullestest creature evarrr!!!", that would spoil the fun and kill the believability. However, when it comes to pure game statistics, It would be nice to have at least one epic character or HQ that, while not as powerful, has somewhat of a fighting chance, and wouldn't necessarily have to run away like little girls from every epic Codex Hero they meet. Also, since this army would probably run on a similar 'achille's heel' concept to the classic VC (kill the general and it's pretty much game over), I think there would be grounds to make them reasonably epic, for the appropriate points cost.

I agree, being linked to the AdMech thousands of years ago definitely does not guarantee you technology of any kind, but honestly, wouldn't you want to play with them as such? for me the appeal of a 40k VC -esque army is one which mixes the classic concept of undead necromancy and awesome heroes controlling lesser hordes, with the exciting tech options and mechanical theme that 40K provides. In any case, you're completely free to disagree with me, but i'd love some cool techy gadgets and gear for this prospective list.

And yes, directly recreating the blood nights in 40k would definitely go against the idea of avoiding literal translation. But as a game mechanic, i think people really enjoy the blood nights in Fantasy, so having a scary cavalry/biker-ish unit of chargers would feel familiar and fun!

Once again, i hope we can discuss this with more of the spirit of collaboration, as opposed to the spirit of rivalry, and a thousand apologies all round if i contributed to that atmosphere.

Count Erick

Wight King
Dec 28, 2008
Its alright. I am, unfortunately, to quick to anger for my own good. I apologize for the rudeness of my last post. I also want to applaud you with the maturity with which you handled the situation.

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
It's all good, buddy, no hard feelings whatsoever.
If anything, this just proves that we are all passionate players with unique views on the game and universe, and with some constructive discussions towards a much-loved project, i believe we can create something that even GW could be impressed by. I know you guys have done it already with the bloodlines project, I read through them and must say they are characterful and fantastic.

However!! I'm sure this is going to be way harder, being a scratch-built thematic translation, as opposed to the re-creating and expanding of ideas that were up until quite recently, completely relevant and well covered in a Codex.
But I am so enamored with this possible army, that it would be a crying shame to just let the incomplete pieces slip away!

so, onwards and upwards i suppose!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Well we do have a good idea of how hard it is, with creating the Legion of Nagash ;)

I am glad you two managed to calm things down between you, I thought for a moment there I was going to have to get out my awesome power of bold red text formatting xd

Now, please, before we start going more indepth and work out the fluff, can we see who is interested in helping out with this?

So far I count me and Morbraelle. Erick would you be ok helping with your almight 40k fluff knowledge (which I am still determined to get you to wikify for me xd)?

Anyone else?

Count Erick

Wight King
Dec 28, 2008
I would be happy to help, though I must say, I was kinda hopeing that the Cythor Fiends would play a role in a 40K vampire force. However, I would be happy to help with any 40K project.

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
Perhaps the Cythor fiends, after encountering a dark power with similar goals could be an allied contingency to this army, kind of like the Tau have Kroot and Vespid? Perhaps if they took up an Elite choice, or were the equivalent to a command squad they could be a fairly formidable addendum, perhaps the only other unit besides the HQ with a decent initiative score (a sort of souped-up alien/ghoul concept?)

kind of a hazy idea, considereing we have no solid stats or gameplay mechanics on them, but if Erick and others likes the concept of the fiends, I would be more than happy to work them into this army list!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Well so far this doesn't look promising guys. With only three people interested I would not start a user project for it..........

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Mar 2, 2008
A place somewhere.
Here's an idea:
The new Tyranid Codex.
Synapse could be used to represent auras of control (like the March range of a vampire).
Skeletons are Termagaunts (fitting in with the 40k theme they would come equipped with Bolt Pistols or an equivalent, as that is the exact same statline as a Fleshborer).
To represent the raising of Skeletons, Tervigons are used. They could be used to represent a Corpse Cart or equivalent raising medium.
Ghouls are represented by Hormagaunts.
Perhaps Genestealers could be some sort of Vampiric infantry?
Fell Bets are represented by Gargoyle units.
Bat Swarms are Flying Rippers.
Carnifexes or Trygons could be used to represent Varghulfs or other large creations.
Zoanthropes could be represented by casting Vampires?
Alpha Warriors could easily be Vampires.
The Doom of Malan'tai could represent an interesting Banshee.

Just something to think about.

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 12, 2007
The Netherlands
you can't leave home without zombies with BS 0 and boltguns and rocket launchers... those guys would own the place!

imagine them shooting their feet with those rockets. roll a die to scatter the zombie parts... 1 S1 hit per zombie part

But seriously, though, good idea. Really like a Vampire with some classic, but hyped up, pistol that can ruin Space Marines' day.

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
Aug 31, 2009
I think this idea will all depend on the fluff / background as to how plausible this army could be. I don't know how much vampire lore you could translate into the 41st millennium without the army's background being a bit unbelievable.

Though I'd be happy to help develop this idea if there's some more interest.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you have enough interest to move forward.... then 'd be happy to assist with rules, balance, costing etc... yep, I've been playing 40k since the "Dawn of Time" as well :mrgreen:

However,

a) it'd be easier to start with a "base" list in mind (be that CSM, nids, whatever), as oppose to a full scratch-build

and,

b) I'm not sure that I like the idea of "Vampires" in 40k at all.

Morbraelle

Zombie
Jan 5, 2010
for the sake of having to scroll back through numerous posts, this is what i have fluff-wise so far. Disciple has said he likes it, but any and all opinions are welcome:

Lets say not too long after the disappearence of the fledgling primarchs, when the Emperor was conducting his studies into creating the space marine legions, he requested some aid or theories from the Adeptus Mechanicus to help him in his experiments. because of this, there was a faction of the Adeptus Mechanicus that then turned to focusing on nanotechnology. it isn't really covered too well as far as i know in 40k fluff, but after reading through all the Inquisitor background, there are definitely massively different sects within the AM who focus on various aspects of technology, so the development of some kind of nanotech is feasible in my eyes.
So some crazy sect of the AM creates a form of nanobot, that, when entered into a human host, begins to constantly upkeep and augment the internal systems of the human, effectively nullifying the process of aging, as well as greatly enhancing strength, mental/psycher abilities, etc. (creating what i would call the 'undying'.)
these nanobots were originally meant to be self-powered, but due to some flaw in design, they begin to power themselves by consuming the energy within the hosts' bloodstream.
eventually, the host begins to need regular 'feedings' of fresh blood, to maintain the effectiveness of the nanos, which begin to further augment the physicality of the host, to suit it's new predatory role. As well, the blood-energy allows the nanobots to self-replicate in a number of ways. the Bots may make exact copies of themselves, to be transfused into a new host, effectively creating other undying. this takes massive amounts of blood-energy, however, and a complete transfusion of blood between the two individuals.
The second form of replication would be the creation of 'nano-slaves', that, when injected into a host, put the unfortunate creatures body and mind into direct control of the undying that infected it. these nano-slaves can keep the hosts' body moving by manipulating the internal systems of the host, long after it has actually died and ceased to be sentient.(thus creating zombies and such for the undying to control!)

so, long story short, this tech was seen as an abomination, and was decreed heretical technology that should heretofore be expunged from the records of the AM. However, the crazy Tech-magos who created them becomes convinced that these nanobots are pretty cool-beans, the true ascention between humanity and the machine-spirit, or some such nonsense, and then promptly escapes and flies away somewhere to create his very own undying empire! probably on a planet far, far away, with little or no contact with the sun, which after all would add the additional fluffines of having the undead-ish sun allergy!
the linkage to the adeptus mechanicus would allow for some concievably awesome 'necro-tech' too, all manner of mechanized undead constructs, liche-like sub-commanders, the possibilities are endless!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu