• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

A Fluffy Hypothetical.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
So if we take Chaos out of the equation (they went on holiday or something), who do we think would come out top of the other races?

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
I seriously doubt it.
Despite the grandeur and power described in the Army Book, Vampires are still a very minor threat compared to many of the other races of the world. Even a very concentrated attack by the most powerful of the Bloodlines against a petty human kingdom was put down with remarkable ease compared to some of the other attacks on the Empire; not once, but three times. Were Vampires to become a threat more significant than that of Chaos, I don't think races such as the High Elves or Lizardmen, races who are uniquely suited to dealing with the construction of an Undead empire, would allow them to continue.

who do we think would come out top of the other races?
I think it depends a lot on the future of the High Elves.
With the Elves controlling the ocean, it doesn't leave a lot of room for world wide expansion or independent trade without going to the High Elves as the 'middle man'.
Right now there isn't an easy road to conquest for any of the Old World states. Their surrounded on all sides by other hard-fighting countries and desolate orc/chaos infested wasts.

If the High Elves continue their decline, I would expect to see a sharp clime in international trade, exploration and resettlement.

goulking88 said:
Most powerful to least amoung the Chaos gods goes Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgule, Slaneesh acorrding the Daemons of Chaos book.
Oh , well I don't have daemons of chaos , I read it in chaos daemons . I suppose I shouldn't have thought it to be the same in fantasy as 40k .

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
By the way, I remember reading somewhere that while nurgle is the third most powerful, at times he is the most powerful, depending on plagues/etc.

Ossai

Skeleton
Disciple of Nagash said:
I do agree with one sentiment. I would love it if the next edition show the dwarves kicking some arse, and claiming some of their holds back such as Karak Eight Peaks. The poor stunties seemed to get picked on in the fluff, and it's about time they got some of their empire back.
Indeed, it is about time we took back places like Karak Varn and Eight Peaks (Damn rotten Skarsnick, he will get my axe through his head if I ever get the chance!)

And then we will take the fight to the orcs that decided to take our holds (They took our jeerbs!) Of Mount Gunbad and Black Crag. I see great things in our future!

Also, you are all saying the undead will survive. Perhaps, but as we have not seen any Skaven or Orc Vampires I propose the following:

If (or when) the humans all die out, who will come forth with the necromantic powers to raise all those skelletons in the ground? If all the vampires die out, then the undead are pretty screwed ;)

ironlord

Black Knight
I think the vampire curse (or blessing depending on your opinion) can be passed on too people but the once human vampires wont stoop to infecting (or blessing) the skaven or the orcs just yet. But if they get desperate... maybe a von carstein of a low standing or a strigoi could infect a skaven or orc.
To be honest I wouldn't even be sure if they can infect orcs, since they are just fungus, can you get vampiric fungus? I think the plant like qualities of the orc may just cancel out the magic of the vampire's curse. But an infected Orc would probably just become a bit more mad and blood thirsty, if that is possible...

However I think that before the vamps get too the skaven and orcs they will go through the beastmen and try out the effects of cursing (or blessing) them before they move on to others. Why go for the beasts? Because the humans get a little nasty with the beastmen so maybe they could be seen as a step below the empire before the skaven and the orcs.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
I should think it far more likely a Skaven would become a vampire by eating one than being deliberately 'kissed'. Ew. I can see regular Skaven being put off by corrupted dead flesh (though rats will of course eat owt), but that would just be a plot device to make sure a powerful Skaven such as a Grey Seer gets the choice cut.

"If (or when) the humans all die out, who will come forth with the necromantic powers to raise all those skelletons in the ground? If all the vampires die out, then the undead are pretty screwed"

The Undead can be manipulated by many forces with magical capabilities. A Dark Elf necromancer is highly likely, since it is known to be part of the tradition of Dark Magic, Chaos & the Undead are closely linked, since magic is the source of both. Be'lakor has the power to raise the dead, Nurgle resurrected his champion Valnir the Reaper and since souls are what they have an abundance of, they can send them back to haunt the living if they so desire, "when there's no more room in Hell" and all that...

Azahul

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ophidicus said:
I should think it far more likely a Skaven would become a vampire by eating one than being deliberately 'kissed'. Ew. I can see regular Skaven being put off by corrupted dead flesh (though rats will of course eat owt), but that would just be a plot device to make sure a powerful Skaven such as a Grey Seer gets the choice cut.
That's almost exactly what happened with my vampire :O

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Count Erick said:
Only humans are capable of being turned into vampires, so the skaven/orc/beastmen theories are fatally flawed....
See every other discussion on that subject on this board.

"fatally flawed"

Ho ho, I see what you did there.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Ossai said:
Indeed, it is about time we took back places like Karak Varn and Eight Peaks (Damn rotten Skarsnick, he will get my axe through his head if I ever get the chance!)
Unfortunately the new skaven book says the ratmen are in charge of Farak Eight Peaks. Sounds like Skarsnik has been given the boot, sigh!

See every other discussion on that subject on this board.
I have. They all said the same thing I did. There are also several sources that support the fact that only humans can be transformed into Vampires.

Unfortunately the new skaven book says the ratmen are in charge of Farak Eight Peaks. Sounds like Skarsnik has been given the boot, sigh!
Or its just the Skaven's perspective. I doubt the Skaven would acknowledge the Goblins prominence. I cant see GW killing off their Night Goblin character.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
The only way I could see killing of Snarsnik as acceptable is if he became undead. He always has been my fave fantasy character.