• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Abhorash for the End Times

El Syf

Crypt Horror
Seeing as the End Times are nigh, thought I'd give it a go!

Abhorash - Lord Of Blood

M:6 WS:10 BS:7 S:7 T:7 W:7 I:10 A:10 LD:10

Magic: Abhoarsh is a Level 1 wizard who knows a spell from Lore Of Vampires.

Vampiric Powers: Red Fury

Special Rules

Blade Master: So proficient is Abhorash with the sword that none can match him. Abhorash does not roll to hit, all his attacks hit automatically.

Heart Piercing: From the Greatest Orc Warboss to the most majestic Dragon, Abhorash has little trouble dispatching such foes. Has Heroic killing blow (5+)

Death Incarnate: Abhorash knows every opponents weakness skill and armour mean little. No armour or parry saves are allowed against successful wounds.

Master Of War: The presence of the Lord Of Blood is a boon beyond compare for his mind for war is second to none. All friendly characters and units can march and are unbreakable but not unstable.

Dragons Blood: Draining an Emperor Red Dragon of blood did more then cure Abhorash of his thirst, and invigorated him still further.
Abhorash gains +2 to his Strength, Toughness and Wounds.

Eternal Warrior: Like a shadow over the world, none can halt Abhorash. Abhorash has a 2+ Ward save.

Hellish Onslaught: To be charged by this Vampire is to face a vortex of death. On a turn Abhorash charges he inflicts 2D6 Impact hits at Strenght 7.

Martial Honour: Abhorash is constantly searching for worthy tests of his prowess. Must always issue and accept challenges.

Equipment.

Serpentine: A great black blade that none save Abhorash could hope to wield. Requires two hands. Confers devastating charge (+2) and also reduces enemy Ward saves by -2. Serpentine is neither magical or mundane.

The Scorched Armour: The flames of the great beast only served to strengthen this suit of armour. Grants a 3+ armour save that cannot be modified.

Master Of Arms: Although Serpentine is his favoured weapon Abhorash has amassed quite an armoury from slain foes. May swap Serpentine for any magic or mundane weapon for that weapons points.Or may take weapon from an opponent slain in a challenge.

Mounts: Abhorash may take any mount available to a Vampire Lord for free.

Army Selection: If Abhorash is the army's General Grave Guard and Black Knights become Core Units while Zombies and Ghouls become Special. Blood Knights become Special Units while Crypt Horrors and Hex Wraiths become Rare.

I came to this by using some Old Bloodlines powers and tweaking them and BRB/VCAB items for some of his Rules and some bits I guessed points values for. I feel I've captured the Abhorash from the ToL series right upto the Red Duke novel and present day. Possibly overpowered but a fair representation of the fluff I feel. :) Feedback welcome.

Last edited:

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
I lol'ed while reading this.

Amended: I know this isn't too farfetched considering the fluff, but it would just be hilarious to see him fielded and the enemy player is like, "what the what?" Maybe we should rename Abhorash to Goku...

Last edited:

El Syf

Crypt Horror
That might not be a bad idea! I've heard a rumour that Nagash is going to be particularly crazy when he comes back. But 48 wounds on the charge (if all saves are failed and red fury wounds are failed too) is possibly a bit much now I think about it. Maybe just the 1d6 impact hits? Lol.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Well, he have 10 attacks and devastating charge (2) (why?), and the maximum attacks are capped at 10, unless they are random, so useless rule there.

Ten attacks, auto-hit, 5+ heroic killing blow. Yeah no, that's a liiiittle bit beyond OP, no matter what the fluffs tells you ;)

Red Fury have no business being there either. He conquered the thirst for blood, he's not a savage anymore.

I could add more, but I guess I'll just throw a Spirit Host at him and giggle :)

El Syf

Crypt Horror
A VL with red fury and sword of bloodshed could potentially get 16 attacks. Fluff wise Abhorash has been portrayed as unstoppable in the time of legends series, which is the newest fluff we have on him. Yes I could have toned it down somewhat but GW can do that so I made a version of Abhorash I felt best reflected him.

Last edited:

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
If the intent is to capture the fluff I think you've got it right. But this character would break the game completely :)

El Syf

Crypt Horror
After thinking about it some revision is needed. But Nagash has come back and is insane (less points then Zacharias though!) so who knows we might see Abe in some form. :)

GDD

Grave Guard
If he does come back he is going to be 1/20 of what you have presented him as :tongue:
I'm assuming you wrote it with comedic intent.

The "all attacks hit automatically" could be a doable fluff thing though.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
The problems I can see here is how he compares to the rules for Nagash- Nagash only mitigates unstable instead of cancelling it completely, and this Abhorash could probably kill Nagash in CC reasonably easily.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Do you mind if I take a whack at revising your idea? I'm inspired by what you've done and would just be fine tuning your work.

Zhatan

Necromancer
Haha yeah. I assumed you were trolling before I read your other posts. This character is so far beyond OP it's hilarious.
Nagash is 1000p and not even close to this powerful.

El Syf

Crypt Horror
@najo I don't mind at all go for it.
Please keep in mind that I had this incarnation kicking around before Nagash came back and I didn't know his rules when I made this version of Abhorash. Also Nagash is much more powerful with magic which is only right. S8 with 7 attacks is not too shabby for a necromancer who is not a renowned warrior so Abhorash would better him in combat aspects. I agree he is very overpowered gamewise but I feel Fluffwise he's pretty spot on.

Zhatan

Necromancer
@El Syf
Fair enough. I admit I know next to nothing about Abhorash's fluff and when I look at rules I always view them from a gaming standpoint because if you dont then what is the point of rules?
As for Nagash being a better wizard sure but he also only has 4+/4++ so will die relatively easily compared to this guy with 3+/2++ that cant be modified.
Not to mention that if he allows marching and removes unstable then he is also better at commanding undead then Nagash which seems unlikely.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
@El Syf
Not to mention that if he allows marching and removes unstable then he is also better at commanding undead then Nagash which seems unlikely.
Agreed. I always figured that Abhorash is pretty crap at the whole necromancy thing and hence wouldn't have any real effect on undead troops- sure, if VC had mortal troops he could train them up, but VC don't have those. I would change the unstable mitigation and other buffs to something to buff up a unit of Blood Knights instead, to represent them being the disciples who study the art of war at his feet.

Please, this guy isn´t more poweful than either Nagash, Gotrek, Malekith or Archaon from a fluff standpoint, but yet you made him the most powerful character in warhammer, ever!

My suggestion would be to tone him down just a little bit:

Stats: Better stats than a dragon?? I can see him having stats that match a dragon, but not better, I´d suggest:

M6 WS10 BS8 S7 T6 W6 I10 A8 LD10

Red Fury is unfluffy, he has mastered his thirst, why is it there, I might be wrong here, but it feels like you just added it since it is the most powerful Vampiric Power.

Blademaster could be changed to Always hit on 2+ no matter any modifiers.

Heroic Killing Blow is fluffy, but I don´t see a reason why it should be 5+, keep it as normal HKB.

Death Incarnate is better represented by the HKB so I would just remove it.

Remove Master of War, it doesn´t belong to Abhorash, he might be a great hero, even a great general, but this rule seems to be more about him having powerful necromancy, which I can´t see.

Change armour to be a 2+ armour which works like normal armour. Give him a 3+ ward, a 2+ is just op.

Change Impact hits to D3 hits, I can´t see it being more devastating than a chariot drawn by a pair of lions!

Serpentine has the weirdest rule ever, ward saves are NEVER modified, they can be re-rolled or ignored, but never modified, I would just make it force opponents to re-roll succesful wardsaves

Mounts: Let them cost the proper amount of Points, giving him a dragon for free is unbalanced & I see no reason whatsoever for him to have it.

With these changes he would end up somewhere around 650-700 Points & still beat 99% of the characters out there

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
@El Syf Here is my take on your idea. I liked your vision and just reeled him in and polished him up. I would say Nagash is WAY more powerful than Abhorash. It's not that Nagash is master of necromancy and Abhorash is master of war. Its that Nagash has transcended his mortal limits and is on par with being godlike while Abhorash is a very old and powerful vampire that has overcome the hunger while retaining his vampiric powers.

Also, its this last part that I kept Red Fury on him. He has that ability (especially as the founder of the Blood Dragon bloodline) but he no longer is over taken by his vampiric hunger.

Abhorash - Lord Of Blood

M:6 WS:10 BS:7 S:6 T:6 W:5 I:9 A:6 LD:10

Magic:
Abhoarsh is a Level 1 wizard who knows a spell from Lore Of Vampires.

Vampiric Powers:
Dreadknight, Quickblood, Red Fury

Special Rules:
Heroic Killing Blow, Unbreakable, Vampiric. Abhorash never suffers the effects of unstable. Abhorash can join friendly undead units.

Blade Master:
So proficient is Abhorash with the sword that none can match him. Abhorash rerolls all failed to-hit rolls in close combat and all successful close combat hits against him must be rerolled.

Death Incarnate:
Abhorash knows every opponents weakness, their skill and armour mean little. May reroll all failed to wound rolls in close combat. Successful armor saves against wounds caused by Abhorash in close combat must be rerolled.

Master Of War:
The presence of the Lord Of Blood is a boon beyond compare for his mind for war is second to none.All friendly undead units within 12" can march and reduce any wounds suffered from unstable by 1. In addition, any friendly undead unit that Abhorash joins can use his WS in place of their own.

Dragons Blood:
Draining an Emperor Red Dragon of blood did more then cure Abhorash of his thirst, and invigorated him still further. At the end of a phase in which Abhorash has suffered one or more Wounds, roll a d6 for each Wound suffered. For each roll of 6, Abhorash regains a Wound. In addition, any friendly undead unit within 12" with frenzy can re-roll failed Leadership tests when attempting to restrain.

Eternal Warrior:
Like a shadow over the world, none can halt Abhorash. Abhorash has a 5+ Ward save normally and a 3+ Ward save against close combat attacks.

Hellish Onslaught:
To be charged by this Vampire is to face a whirlwind of fury and death. On a turn Abhorash charges he has +2 Strength and Impact Hits (d3).

Equipment.

Serpentine:
A great black blade that none save Abhorash could hope to wield. Requires two hands. Confers devastating charge and ignores enemy Ward saves. Enemy in base contact with its wielder suffer Always Strikes Last.

The Scorched Armour:
The flames of the great beast only served to strengthen this suit of armour. Grants a 3+ armour save and can re-roll failed armour saves.

Master Of Arms:
Although Serpentine is his favoured weapon Abhorash has amassed quite an armoury from slain foes and is adept at improvising and using weapons found on the battlefield. Abhorash can choose at the start of close combat phase to use either Serpentine or any mundane close combat weapon in brb in place of Serpentine. If this ability is used, Abhorash loses the benefits from Serpentine until the start of the next close combat phase when he chooses again.

Mounts:
Abhorash may take any mount available to a Vampire Lord for the points cost listed.

Army Selection:
If Abhorash is the army's General Grave Guard and Black Knights become Core Units while Zombies and Ghouls become Special. Blood Knights become Special Units while Crypt Horrors and Hex Wraiths become Rare.

GDD

Grave Guard
snyggejygge Has the most believable one yet I think. Quickblood, or rerolls (aka the Strigoi) might be ok though. He did kill a dragon, and raid the bloodfort alone though, so he should be looking close to a greater dragon stat wise.

Najo yours is still waaay under costed tbh. I agree that he should either have Martial honor, or dreadknight.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
@El Syf Here is my take on your idea. I liked your vision and just reeled him in and polished him up. I would say Nagash is WAY more powerful than Abhorash. It's not that Nagash is master of necromancy and Abhorash is master of war. Its that Nagash has transcended his mortal limits and is on par with being godlike while Abhorash is a very old and powerful vampire that has overcome the hunger while retaining his vampiric powers.

Also, its this last part that I kept Red Fury on him. He has that ability (especially as the founder of the Blood Dragon bloodline) but he no longer is over taken by his vampiric hunger.

Abhorash - Lord Of Blood

M:6 WS:10 BS:7 S:6 T:6 W:5 I:9 A:6 LD:10

Magic:
Abhoarsh is a Level 1 wizard who knows a spell from Lore Of Vampires.

Vampiric Powers:
Dreadknight, Quickblood, Red Fury

Special Rules:
Heroic Killing Blow, Unbreakable, Vampiric. Abhorash never suffers the effects of unstable. Abhorash can join friendly undead units.

Blade Master:
So proficient is Abhorash with the sword that none can match him. Abhorash rerolls all failed to-hit rolls in close combat and all successful close combat hits against him must be rerolled.

Death Incarnate:
Abhorash knows every opponents weakness, their skill and armour mean little. May reroll all failed to wound rolls in close combat. Successful armor saves against wounds caused by Abhorash in close combat must be rerolled.

Master Of War:
The presence of the Lord Of Blood is a boon beyond compare for his mind for war is second to none.All friendly undead units within 12" can march and reduce any wounds suffered from unstable by 1. In addition, any friendly undead unit that Abhorash joins can use his WS in place of their own.

Dragons Blood:
Draining an Emperor Red Dragon of blood did more then cure Abhorash of his thirst, and invigorated him still further. At the end of a phase in which Abhorash has suffered one or more Wounds, roll a d6 for each Wound suffered. For each roll of 6, Abhorash regains a Wound. In addition, any friendly undead unit within 12" with frenzy can re-roll failed Leadership tests when attempting to restrain.

Eternal Warrior:
Like a shadow over the world, none can halt Abhorash. Abhorash has a 5+ Ward save normally and a 3+ Ward save against close combat attacks.

Hellish Onslaught:
To be charged by this Vampire is to face a whirlwind of fury and death. On a turn Abhorash charges he has +2 Strength and Impact Hits (d3).

Equipment.

Serpentine:
A great black blade that none save Abhorash could hope to wield. Requires two hands. Confers devastating charge and ignores enemy Ward saves. Enemy in base contact with its wielder suffer Always Strikes Last.

The Scorched Armour:
The flames of the great beast only served to strengthen this suit of armour. Grants a 3+ armour save and can re-roll failed armour saves.

Master Of Arms:
Although Serpentine is his favoured weapon Abhorash has amassed quite an armoury from slain foes and is adept at improvising and using weapons found on the battlefield. Abhorash can choose at the start of close combat phase to use either Serpentine or any mundane close combat weapon in brb in place of Serpentine. If this ability is used, Abhorash loses the benefits from Serpentine until the start of the next close combat phase when he chooses again.

Mounts:
Abhorash may take any mount available to a Vampire Lord for the points cost listed.

Army Selection:
If Abhorash is the army's General Grave Guard and Black Knights become Core Units while Zombies and Ghouls become Special. Blood Knights become Special Units while Crypt Horrors and Hex Wraiths become Rare.

Dread knight is useless because he is already ws10. Martial Honor wouldn't cost any extra. I don'tthink that he should have to issue/accept challenges because he is already aware of his prowess and as the great strategist that he is would rarely see a challenge as strategically beneficial.

GDD

Grave Guard
@Alabaster427 Good point about dreadknight, but because he knows his strength is exactly why he would accept challenges.

In his fluff he only spared those who would fight with honor amongst the blood knights. He is not hell bent on winning at all costs, nor is he the master strategist you make him out to be. I think he would always want to fight the strongest around because no one else would be "worth his time". And if some champion challenges him he would want to put that guy in his place.

Atrophus

Grave Guard
I thought I'd have a go at making what I see is a realistic Abhorash (hopefully) :tongue: if it's alright with you @El Syf, I borrowed some of your ideas too (I'll happily delete post if not :))

Abhorash, Lord of Blood.

M:5 WS:10 BS:6 S:6 T:5 W:5 I:9 A:7 Ld:10

Red Fury, Quickblood, First of the Blood Dragons, Combat Master, Heart Piercing, Vampiric,

Level 1 wizard, LoV

Serpentine:
A great black blade that none save Abhorash could hope to wield.
+2 strength, requires two hands, mundane weapon.

Armour of the Queens Captain:
The armour worn by the captain of the Lahmian royal guard and given to Abhorash by Neferata herself.
3+ armour save.

Combat Master:
Abhorash epitomises the ultimate warrior and is near on impossible to best in close combat.
3++ in close combat.

First of the Blood Dragons:
Having drunk the blood of a dragon Abhorash cured his need for blood and greatly increased his prowess in battle.
Re-rolls all to hit and to wound rolls in close combat. Also Abhorash loses the Unstable special rule.

Heart Piercing:
Abhorash has studied and mastered nearly every fighting style and stance there is, he knows exactly how and where to strike to deliver the fatal blow.
Abhorash has Heroic Killing blow and enemy models cannot take a parry save against his attacks.

He may take a barded nightmare for:
24 points

625points

El Syf

Crypt Horror
Hey guys really liking the reworkings you lot have done.
I just went into it with how he should be if fluff was key with no real thought given to how ridiculous he'd be in game.
Hopefully we might see a GW version soon, what with Neferata and Nagash although they have had mini's and rules before and Abby hasn't so perhaps not. Can't see him siding with Nagash this time round :)

LOL.... LOL.....

ROFL

Does he cost 2000 points?, id gladly field him on his own in a unit of 100 zombies and wreck everything the opponent brings hahaha

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Atrophos version makes more sense(though it is not how I'd describe him). Remember, he isn't some warpstone fuelled monster like Nagash, he is "just" an exceptionally skilled and powerful vampire lord. You always have to consider when and where the fluff was written. Most of the accounts of Abhorash is from the time he was mortal or when he was turned, and faced mortal warriors. Any vampire world would prove to be extremely tough to face for a mortal champion, add in the combat prowess of Abhorash and you do have proper beast. In many ways, Blood Dragons do hinder themselves into becoming these super powerful world enders as they restrict themselves to martial skill, and have a code of honour.

When making special characters, I think it very important to have perspective and show restraint. I believe you will realise you did not do the latter when reviewing your creation but no one is THAT good, no matter how much you practice.

Indeed, if we look at Abhorash, and what he has achieved, who has he gone up against? To me, judging by the fluff I'm aware of, he seems more of a warrior monk. In essence, similiar to a Jedi. He trained to perfect his martial abilities, fell to anger, yet was able to find peace and withdrew from the world. I see him fighting with the wisdom of the ages, calm and deliberate, minimalistic in the sense every blow or strike would be aimed to be a killing blow(not wasting a single movement). Definitely not as some bloodthirst wirlwind of death, as to me, that would be Abhorash during the wars, not after having drunk the blood of a dragon. I back this up further with how the Blood Knights are described as being parodies of the noble knights Abhorash trained.