• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Adepticon 2015

Anyone else notice that Fantasy Sales for the Adepticon 2015 tournament (I think all their events) are lagging? Last year they all sold out in less than 35 minutes. This year they are still up for sale more than 12 hours after they went on sale.

Currently there are 80 seats open for the 200 seat 2 day GT. Last year they had around 130 seats and the event was on wait list.

I wonder if their stance on the end times rules had anything to do with it, or if maybe the introduction of end times has pretty much soured the community as a whole on tournaments.

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Anyone else notice that Fantasy Sales for the Adepticon 2015 tournament (I think all their events) are lagging? Last year they all sold out in less than 35 minutes. This year they are still up for sale more than 12 hours after they went on sale.

Currently there are 80 seats open for the 200 seat 2 day GT. Last year they had around 130 seats and the event was on wait list.

I wonder if their stance on the end times rules had anything to do with it, or if maybe the introduction of end times has pretty much soured the community as a whole on tournaments.
Lot of people unhappy with new content. It is anti-competitive Warhammer.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
In my community End Times haven't affected tournaments negatively and players are enjoying the new books. I know myself, that Adepticon ruling how they did on End Times hurts my perception of them and their ability to make rulings. It would be enough to keep me from going. Unfortunately, they lost credibility in my book.

In my community End Times haven't affected tournaments negatively and players are enjoying the new books. I know myself, that Adepticon ruling how they did on End Times hurts my perception of them and their ability to make rulings. It would be enough to keep me from going. Unfortunately, they lost credibility in my book.
Just curious if you were considering going before the ruling came out?

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Just curious if you were considering going before the ruling came out?
I wasn't going this year, but I did look to them as a valuable aspect of our hobby and would consider going to their events. When I read the ruling and reason, and that there is no phrase that supports their reason, plus that they are mostly likely wrong, it really bothered me that something so trivial and blown out of porportion like this magic item debate was giving the appearance of validity by what is scene as an industry leader. They have a responsibility to do the right thing and not fuel the flames. Regardless of one's interpretation of the end times rules, the safe position until there is a FAQ is to rule to allow magic items from the books. That majority seem to agree with that position. It's the one that is the most logical. For Adepticon to rule the other way just shows their disconnect from the fantasy rules and that they are placing themselves at the head of a controversy that they should be helping quell down, not fan up. I care about the community and spirit of our game/hobby and I find their action to be contrary to those things I care about. That would cause them to lose my support if I was going to go. They have lost any authority they had in my eyes.

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
That initial rules pack was just a draft. Could be changed at any time. I do agree, though, that their stance is a strange one-for now. The Fantasy team at Adepticon is top notch, I have a blast there every year and will be playing in many of the Fantasy events, including the Championships!

Well, bigbadbat is right, it IS just a draft, and with the new Khaine book on the horizon, changes may be in the air; it'll just take time to update. Rest assured though, that our End Times event was already going to be running it weapons-free, so if the other events do it too so much the better. All the more reason to join your favorite podcast crew for a fun day at the tables! ;)

They ruled End Times "Legion Armies" (e.g. Undead Legions and Chaos Legions) may not use magic items from their parent army lists.
It wasn't even this clean. They chose to allow DoC and WoC their army-specific items, but not BM, VC, or TK. Couldn't even be consistent with that idea. :D

As for why things aren't sold out, you must also take 40k into account. When I checked last night, NO warhammer event was sold out, including 40k. I think this is a combination of new location and new rules (both games are in flux), and people coming to terms with things.

Last edited:

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
That initial rules pack was just a draft. Could be changed at any time. I do agree, though, that their stance is a strange one-for now. The Fantasy team at Adepticon is top notch, I have a blast there every year and will be playing in many of the Fantasy events, including the Championships!
I agree that they run a tight ship. I have fun when I go (not attending this year) but I am also pretty bemused by their ruling in this case.

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Frankly guys I can see the majority of U.S. Tournaments just banning any and all things End of Times. First there was the 50% Lords change...ok we can work with that. Might handicap some armies to even consider more characters. Then there was the new legion lists combing two-three armies in one. Ok...we can work with that. Players will be heavily comped for min/maxing. But now these new magic rules? I think the camel's back has broken.:slapface: These changes are just too 'game changing' to work in the tournament scene in my humble opinion. They will overwhelm Tournament Organizers. Especially the ones who do comp their tournaments.

I expect the trend to be "Warhammer per last year" guys. You know darn well the ETC isn't going to stand for any of this new stuff. ;)

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Frankly guys I can see the majority of U.S. Tournaments just banning any and all things End of Times. First there was the 50% Lords change...ok we can work with that. Might handicap some armies to even consider more characters. Then there was the new legion lists combing two-three armies in one. Ok...we can work with that. Players will be heavily comped for min/maxing. But now these new magic rules? I think the camel's back has broken.:slapface: These changes are just too 'game changing' to work in the tournament scene in my humble opinion. They will overwhelm Tournament Organizers. Especially the ones who do comp their tournaments.

I expect the trend to be "Warhammer per last year" guys. You know darn well the ETC isn't going to stand for any of this new stuff. ;)
I agree for the most part. The more worrying thing is what this means for 9th ed. though...

Some of the new rules i.e. combined profiles make a lot of sense and tighten up rules and speed up the game. Others like the similar to 40k allies stuff and legion rules is not good news.

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
I'm running an "uncomped" tournament in March. The only rulings I've made are: No Chaos Ascendant rules, No End Times Magic and no Folding Fortress. It'll be exciting to see how it goes :)

Last edited:

Archamedius

Grave Guard
I'm running an "uncomped" tournament in March. The only rulings I've made is: No Chaos Ascendant rules, No End Times Magic and no Folding Fortress. It'll be exciting to see how it goes :)
In the mid west somewhere? I am looking for some practice leading up to Adepticon.

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
I'm running an "uncomped" tournament in March. The only rulings I've made are: No Chaos Ascendant rules, No End Times Magic and no Folding Fortress. It'll be exciting to see how it goes :)

But the no End of Times magic is exactly what I mean. Legions are not in and of themselves bad. It is the new magic that broke the camel's back.

See, I don't think so in the slightest. I've played a few games with it already, and I'm strongly of the opinion that you should play it before you nay it. When playing against a competent opponent, even when I used Nagash + Hierotitan + Casket, I was only getting off half or less of my spells. Sure, that's about 33% more spells than I was casting before, but it's far less than the internet thinks will happen.

Frankly, it makes the magic phase feel equally important, instead of a throwaway phase compared to other phases.

If I were a TO I would strongly consider comping out the Army of the Eternity King. I think the other two lists are wonderful and fluffy, but are so objectively outmatched by the third that there's really no reason to ever take them.