• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Do Age of Sigmar units which were previously Warhammer units still come with square bases to mount them on or have they been replaced by round ones? I was taking a look at such units on GW's web store pages, and it seems to suggest that they do still come with square bases, but I was wondering whether anyone who has made any recent purchases could confirm this?

For example, Grave Guard are still listed as including square infantry bases, Hexwraiths and Black Knights are still listed as coming with cavalry bases, while larger kits like the Coven Throne are still listed as including a chariot base. If anyone has purchased such units could confirm this to be the case.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
I'm not tearing any units off their square bases and it gets under my skin that so many people are doing it when the rules don't need you to do that. I put a lot of work into my basing as other people did and they should be more proud of it.

But yeah anything that doesn't have a new box has old square bases. Is the box red instead of white? Then it has square bases.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I completely agree, and this is, as you've most likely worked out, why I started this topic. I'm really keen to complete my undead forces before GW repackages the old boxed sets and gives them circular bases, so hopefully they won't make the change in a hurry, as it's going to take me a long time to do this.

Thanks for the tip about the box colour, I hadn't noticed that.

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Apr 21, 2012
Ditto on the bases. I've put more work into my basing than most people put into their entire army. I guess it's no big deal to rebase models when the basing was completely neglected in the first place. :tongue:

But yeah, the white AoS Boxes have rounds in them. There are a lot of pics on the website of models with square bases, and I don't know if GW would ship them with rounds and simply hasn't updated the photo. Models like the plastic Wight King has a modeled square base on the sprue, and it's part of the miniature, so I'm not sure what GW's solution will be for that unless they re-tool the mold.

There are some tournaments that are requiring round bases for the models to be "tournament legal" but I don't know if they specify base sizes for all the units. It seems that some units have bases that are WAY bigger than they need to be. (32mm for Skaven Plague Censors? Really?) And any chariot on an oval has an extra inch all the way around. So there's either a full chariot width between the physical models or the bases overlap (both terrible options). I'd prefer to use 20mm rounds on my infantry so I could still tray them and have the same footprint as a square unit if I wanted.

If I ever round base anything, it's going to be a completely new army, separate from my current one, or I'll pin/ magnetize them to be swappable between round and square.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
Yes there is a size difference between rounds and squares which actually allows models on squares to get more models within range for melee. Our local GW has instituted a rule that you only get 1 rank with standard infantry with 1" range rather than actually measuring because rounds only really fit one rank but squares fit two ranks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu