• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

All Cav VC army challenge

Ok, so I've got LOTS of Black Knights (Lances and Barding), 5 Blood knights, 40+ Direwolves, and 10 Hex Wraiths.

2200 points with a Cursed Bretonnian army feel to it. I don't have the book yet, and I'm dying to come up with an army to field for a tournament in 2-3 weeks.

No new 8th ed models except the Hex Wraiths, but I've got a very large supply of everything else. Sure, I won't have any practice with it, but it'll be fun. Competetive/OP is good.

Suggestions?

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
You want all cav or mostly cav? Here's an all-cav list for you:

Vampire Lord
Level 4 Wizard
Barded Nightmare
Heavy Armor
Red Fury
Quickblood
Ogre Blade
Dragonhelm
Talisman of Endurance
Potion of Foolhardiness

Wight King
Battle Standard
Barded Skeletal Steed
Shield
Great Weapon
The Other Trickster's Shard

Dire Wolves x20
Doom Wolf

Dire Wolves x20
Doom Wolf

Dire Wolves x20
Doom Wolf

Dire Wolves x5

Black Knights x9
Full Command
Banner of the Barrows
Barding
Lances

Black Knights x10
Full Command
Screaming Banner
Barding
Lances

Blood Knights x5

Not sure if it'll win any games with all-wolf core. But it'll sure look cool. If you want to actually be competitive, you may wish to swap out a bunch of the Wolves for Zombies and Skeletons.

Cobra7

Grave Guard
Very good list Bravo, I like it, and one day I will play it. On top of that, I have no list idea's that are better.

Suggestions: Break up one of the units of 20 dire wolves into groups of 5. Use the 5 units of 5 as redirectors and speed bumps to keep opponents other units busy while the cav do their thing. Correctly done vs an unwary opponent, this can keep half of an army tied up with over runs while your in the flank for a couple turns.

Drop a Doom Wolf and get Summon Creatures of the Knight. Thats +5 wolves every casting of IoN for every unit in range!

Corrections:
Wight King: Drop either the shield or switch the great weapon to a lance, both can not be used. I suggest dropping the shield.

Blood Knights x5
Standard
Musician
Banner of the Blood Keep

Strategy: Deployment will be key with this list. Need to put down the small units of wolves first and see where your opponent is putting things then put knights on flank. I would suggest running your knights head first into units and the large wolves in the flanks to negate ranks. Reason for this is wolves will die faster in the front than the knights.

Bring extra zombies for raise dead for more speed bumps/redirects.

Do not put Hexwraiths in this list, they will only hamper what the list can do. You will need every heavy cav model you can get.

Thanks!

Zombies/skeletons are fair game. After all brets have men at arms. Are the blood knights worth it now, or would I be better off with more black knights or something else?

Ugh, book still hasn't arrived from my FLGS... <sigh>

So, I hear that bumping up the vamp to level 4 is 105 points? Any chance of dropping those points and getting a "Prophetess of Death" (ie 4th level Necro on a steed)?

I'm also considering dropping most of the direwolves for a unit of 50 zombies.

One of our top regional players brings Skaven, and the Flaming Rod needs to make it's way into the list.

Once my book arrives (can't believe he didn't order for me!) I'll write up the list, but until then, I'd be grateful if anyone else could throw ideas around into a list :thumbsup:

The army list is solid enough for me to throw a cav list together for fun. The black knights are going to be your power hitter, and they survive through a lot. I have never lost that unit in any game I've played.

Ashurei said:
The army list is solid enough for me to throw a cav list together for fun. The black knights are going to be your power hitter, and they survive through a lot. I have never lost that unit in any game I've played.
Uhhg I'm jealous of this army, I really want to use blood knights but buying 120 CAD for five models is just obnoxious and silly. Might end up just using my questing knights for blood knights.

coal1o1 said:
Ashurei said:
Uhhg I'm jealous of this army, I really want to use blood knights but buying 120 CAD for five models is just obnoxious and silly. Might end up just using my questing knights for blood knights.
Or use High Elf Dragon Princes? I intend to!

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
I use lightly converted Chaos Knights models as my Blood Knights. I put Bretonnian KotR heads on them (I had some left over from my Black Knights of Mousillion project), added a few GG shoulder pads, and painted them up in traditional Blood Keep fashion. I even invented some fluff for them, like how they're Vampire knights who have turned to Khorne worship in the never-ending quest for greater power.

/edit: Oh, and on a more relevant note with regards to the thread, both Black and Blood Knights can be extremely durable. Remember that, with the Banner of the Blood Keep, you should save half of your ranged wounds, which doubles the effective toughness of the unit.

I'd like to follow up with some thank-you's.

I took a force based on the above with 5x units of 5 wolves, 10x black knights, 10x black knights, 5x blood knights (flag, musician), 20 zombies, banner & musician, 50 skeletons w/ full command & flaming banner, 1 unit of 2 spirit hosts, & red-fury vampire with the blood knights.

Out of a 38 player tournament I won best overall!

My first game was vs Skaven, second game was vs Chaos Warriors, third game against Ogres.

The Combination of blocking with wolves, and the damage output of the vamp & blood knights was really powerful. Every unit in the army performed well at some point in the tournament. I think I got very lucky in HtH with the vampire in combat because he didn't have a ward save. All three players chose to put attacks against the blood-knights instead of the Lord, and there were a few times where a couple more wounds against skeletons in a multi-combat would have popped the knights and the vampire because he was wounded.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments!

Tim

Grave Guard
I like the idea, I had a similar idea but it was more based around a Mannfred theme, lots of wolves and units of fell bats and bat swarms supported with black knights or blood knights.
It will be something I'm doing when I got most of my unpainted stuff done.

I think it could work against some armies, if you get first turn you have so many wolves in the face of your opponent he might forget to look what your knights are doing. You could mix it up a bit with a varghulf, black coach or terrrorgheist, or go the CotN way and get some fell bats in there too.
As for core you could throw in a unit of ghouls with a necromancer with the book of arkhan so it can keep up.