• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

All Round General

I am making a Lord and I want him to be able to support any part the army by just appearing. So far this is what I got.

Equipment- The Flayed Hauberk, Crown of the Damned, Sword of Kings (or tomb blade) and Black Periapt.
Magic- Level 4
Powers- Dark Acolyte, Forbidden Lore, Infinite Hatred.
Mount- Abbysal Terror (or a Zombie Dragon, I cant pick >.<)

He's role is to provide power where its needed, I want to fly because it gets him to where he needs to go quicker.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Well, I'd definately recommend you to stay away from the Tomb Blade on a character like that, since he can't even join a unit of Skeletons when he's on a flying mount. :)

Anyway, I think that a Lance would be the most suitable piece of equipment for a flying character since the odds of landing a charge will be on your side. The Balefire Spike will let him aid his minions in the hunt for dangerous regenerating enemies which would otherwise be quite a hassle for your army to deal with. The Helm of Commandment is also very useful on a flying Lord due to his great mobility, enabling him to reach out to practically any point on the battlefield to lend out his WS characteristic.

As for a mount, I'd go with either a Hellsteed (cheaper and a lot easier to hide and play safe with) or the Zombie Dragon (pure punching power).

I already have a charging powerhouse, in the form of a hero who uses lots of fire attacks (He has the lore of Fire) and just keeps using the Flaming sword of Rhuin to hit his opponets.

Flaming Sword of Rhuin is quite risky - it can be dispelled and Lore of the Vampires is better IMO. I like Sword of Might with the Lord on Abyssal Terror/Newbie Dragon. Now the Lord can deal with enemies with great toughness all the time, not just in the first round of combat.

For example, if you charge the enemy's Dragon or unit with big toughness, you're not always going through it, and after the first round of combat, you have only lame Str5, which sucks against enemies with T4 or bigger. AND Balefire Spike has it's downsides too - especially when fighting against High Elves. :slapface: It's good weapon, but I prefer SoM, but I guess it's about the taste.

And about the mounts: I recommend taking Abyssal Terror, it inflicts almost as much damage on the enemy as Zombie Dragon, and it's 140 points (or so) cheaper than the Dragon! In my experience I've learned one thing about these two beasts: If a Zombie Dragon can beat the unit, an Abyssal Terror can beat it too!

Hope that helped. :thumbsup:

I'd drop the mount as it makes him a target and take either the flying bloodline power or the lycni talisman. If on foot sword of might or mounted maybe go with the dreadlance, immune to KB and gem of blood

If you want him to hepl in all aspect try and add in a raise power somewhere

Have you seen the list of new Common Magic in 8th? I was wondering about a Lord with the +2 Attacks +2 Strength sword. Together with Infinite Hatred seems like it would be a good choice? You can also get a 4+ Ward Save without being Stupid! There is also enough points left over to buy Lord of the Dead or another Master Power.

455 Points - Lord Lvl 3 Wizard on Hellstead with
Powers: Infinite Hatred, Forbidden Lore, Avatar of Death
Wargear: Magic Sword (+2 Attacks or +2 Strength), Talisman of preservation (4+ Ward), New Enchanted Shield (reduced cost)

This is of course assuming we get access to all the new stuff. ;)