• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

An odd thing I saw...

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Yesterday on my way home from college I saw a bat. Not terribly unusual in itself, but.... it was daytime, in the middle of a city. A bat flapping about above a river surrounded by high buildings at 5 in the afternoon. Most surprising.

No great significance here, just thought I'd share.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Here on Okinawa we have fruit bats that are freakin' huge. Well, remember the 'Vampire Bats' on Indiana Jones? We actually have that species, or something really close to it, nesting in trees all around my dorms. I'll get some pics sometime for ya.

They're kinda cool. Scary as all hell when you're doing a night run and they get in your face though.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
You think bats are scary? Wait to you have a bunch of dingos staring at you. Especially when they howl, it is so eerie.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Bats aren't 'Scary', they're only even remotely that way when they literally dive and smack you in the face when you're running at night.

Vampire bat in the grill doesn't taste as good as shrimp on the barbie.

Goggalor

Necromancer
An odd thing i saw the other day was when i was driving home at night and when there was no other drivers around I, calm down now, turned on my high beams and where there was only darkness before for a second i saw a huge owl flying accross the road. Scared the crap out of. One minute nothing but black then Massive white owl. Just odd. I have however never seen a bat in the daytime. only at dusk.

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
My back-garden backs onto a cemetery so we get loads of bats about, but not usually during the day.. sometimes it'll be still daylight like during the summer but it'll still be pretty late in the evening. Bats are cool, and kinda cute when you see them up close.

I love bats too. They are amazing little things, the way their sonar works is kinda mind boggling.

I also had an encounter with these nifty little creatures. When out camping last summer, we heard this weird squiqing sounds that turned out to be lots of bats hunting in the woods around us. Most awesome was that if you threw a pebble into the air, they would mistake it for a tasy snack and spiral downwards after it before banking away as the neared the ground^^

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Vampire bat in the grill doesn't taste as good as shrimp on the barbie.
LOL Oni, you made my morning! My co-workers are now looking at me very strange as I almost choked on my coffee laughing!

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Glad I could help, Dreadgrass. :)

I'm seriously gonna get a picture of those bats in that tree outside sometime....

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
I had a bad get into my old apartment once, after I had joked about having a pet bat. I only discovered it when I went to the bathroom, with very little light, and it dive bombed me. That freaked me out. Especially since I had been hearing rustling and thought I was hearing things.

I did the catch and release thing. It came back though. That time I was so pissed I ended up killing it in my attempts to capture it (not intentionally). It's a good thing I hadn't adopted my dog yet, or she would have shredded the bat (being a puppy and all) I suspect.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
It's either a sign of the apocalypse or a sign that you should play with VC more...

I love bats, they're cool little critters. I owned fruit bats for a long time and they were great pets except for the room they needed(bye bye attic) and the sheer amount of poop they produce.:|

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
I want a fruit bat but I bet my wife will NEVER let me get one. Why the F@#$ did I get married?
An odd thing i saw the other day was when i was driving home at night and when there was no other drivers around I, calm down now, turned on my high beams and where there was only darkness before for a second i saw a huge owl flying accross the road. Scared the crap out of. One minute nothing but black then Massive white owl. Just odd. I have however never seen a bat in the daytime. only at dusk.
Couldn't stop laughing.:zombie1:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Owls are just pure awesome. They are the avian ninjas of the night. Utterly silent flyers.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Master Vampire said:
Sanai said:
Owls are just pure awesome. They are the avian ninjas of the night. Utterly silent flyers.
One of their kind flew against my pop's window the other day.
Yes but he was flying silently until he hit the window xD He was just a short sighted avian ninja of the night.

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Disciple of Nagash said:
Master Vampire said:
Sanai said:
One of their kind flew against my pop's window the other day.
Yes but he was flying silently until he hit the window xD He was just a short sighted avian ninja of the night.
to be honest, it was a ninja. The only argument I have is that there is a faceprint on the window, no body on the ground. The poor bugger just didn't have a ninja mask on.