• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

any suggestions on 2250 list???

anyone got any suggestions or anything on this army list this isnt geared toward fighting anyone particular army just a general list i made up tha i like.

Nechrarch count lvl 2
noble blood
forbidden lore
ring of night
barded nightmare
w/ bk

wight lord
hvy arm shield lance
barded nightmare
rod of flaming death
w/ bk

necro lvl 2
power familiar
w/ skeltons

necro lvl 2
book of arkhan
power stone
w/ skeletons

7 dire wolves
doom wolf

8 dire wolves
doom wolf

20 skelies
lt arm hw shield
standard musician

20 skelies
lt arm hw shield
standard musician

30 zombies

15 ghouls
ghast

10 black knights
barding
full command
banner of the barrows

black coach

so that gives me 10 casting dice i believe and 7 dispel dice

w/ around like 115 models or so just a rough estimate

any advice or opinions as to what works and what doesnt work is appreciated and be brutally honest if the list sucks you can tell me i have a little success with it so far but always looking for improvement
its 2250 btw

Arion

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Ok

Heros :
PS and BoA are illegal both are enchanted items.
Otherwise fine.

Core:
Split the ghoul unit into smaller units.

Split the dire wolves into smaller units of 5-6 and replace doomwolf with another wolf.

Otherwise seems fine.

It seems like quite a nice list, but I'm not very experienced.. But I wonder, what's the Count doing with the Knights? He can barely offer any killyness, they already have a Wight Lord and the Banner of the Barrows for that. I think he'd be better useful with the infantry. And I second Arion on splitting the Ghouls and Wolves into smaller units. :)

And are you sure you don't want a Necrarch Lord instead? He's a level 4 Wizard and most people seem to prefer Lords, you should ask them why. I'm sure there's a reason, myself I'd take a Lord for the added magic. And on the Wight Lord I think a Cursed Book would do better. Boring as it may be, -1 to hit while you hit them on 3+ is very powerful. And I don't think you'll be able to unleash the Rod very much either, if the Knights are just strutting around outside close combat they're begging to be shot down.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
slayer666 said:
Nechrarch count lvl 2
noble blood
forbidden lore
ring of night
barded nightmare
w/ bk
Personally I'd swap forbidden lore for Unholy Cynosure. Doesn't seem like much until you need a key spell to go off and roll a miscast. Don't put him with the black knights, leave with infantry. Either keep mounted/barded, or put on foot with a great weapon.
slayer666 said:
wight lord
hvy arm shield lance
barded nightmare
rod of flaming death
w/ bk
Drop the rod of flaming death. You want this guy in combat, not shooting a magic missile. Equip either with BSB, Sword of Kings and gem of blood for trying to take out other characters, or talon of death and enchanted shield, or any other close combat fighting combination.
slayer666 said:
necro lvl 2
power familiar
w/ skeltons

necro lvl 2
book of arkhan
power stone
w/ skeletons
Good, although you may want to drop the power stone for the black periapt.

slayer666 said:
7 dire wolves
doom wolf

8 dire wolves
doom wolf
Personally I'd drop these into 4 groups of 5.

slayer666 said:
20 skelies
lt arm hw shield
standard musician

20 skelies
lt arm hw shield
standard musician

30 zombies
Good

slayer666 said:
15 ghouls
ghast
Again smaller units do the trick. If you're going to be away from your general, use 9 if you think you'll be fighting shooty armies. 5 is a good number for myself.

10 black knights
barding
full command
banner of the barrows

black coach

Looks good. Just tinker with it and have fun. You'll find out soon enough what works and what doesn't.

ummm book of arkhan is an arcane item but the power stone is also an arcane item but they can go together because the power stone is a common magic item so the same rules apply as dispel scrolls so you can take as many as you want if you have the points and a army specific magic item. its on pg 122 of the big rulebook. i cant take the black periapt and the book of arkhan though that would rock.

yeah i see what you guys are saying about the wolves and ghouls. i used to take a nech lord and ive just been toying around with just taking a count so i could get the extra charecter slot and ive been back and forth between a wight lord and a 3rd necromancer for that because you'd actually end up having more power and dispel dice with a necrarch count and 3 necromancers than with a nechrarch lord and 2 necromancers. and putting my general with my knights is just something ive always done ive never really considered putting a nechrarch on foot because i like at least being able to have an armor save for mounted and barded but idk ive always felt more secure when he's been with my knights because ive always had the mind set that if you put him with like a skeleton or zombie unit then the opponent can just chomp through the skelies or zombies and not even touch your vamp and just whittle the unit away through combat res, but ive been playing against dogs of war lately with 3 units of pike, but now that i think about it that may not be too bad an idea.

thanks again for the advice guys :)

If you are wondering for the placement of units I generally go by the asumption while playing Vampire Counts that you should almost always put your Vampires/heroes with your weakest units, for example Zombies and Skeletons. Firstly this does not only increase the killiness of these generally weak units but it also provides you with a striegic defence which is that your enemys missle fire will not be drawn to one particular unit for examples your vampire placed in a unit of Black Knights, by removing weak points from your army you can ensure that there is strength everywhere and that your weak points are significantly reduced.
-N