• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Anyone play both undead?

Now, I love my Tomb Kings. The models, the fluff, the rules (even if they are a bit on the weaker side). However lately I've also found myself being drawn to vampires (every time I look at vampire models I get a twinge of guilt, like a cheating lover!). I don't want to stop my Tomb Kings, so I was wondering if any of you play both undead armies? Are they different enough that it isn't boring or obsolete? And as I was planning to use VC skellies for TK core, would they work in both (Khemri themed VC)? Thanks guys.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
There's a few people around these parts that play both armies, and there's definitely people that have done Khemri themed VC (and with the content in the Nagash trilogy and Neferata+Master of Death you should have no shortage of inspiration on top of the older material).

They can both be played quite similar if the army that you lean towards is the monster mash, essentially all you would be doing is swapping out sphinxes for TGs and Vargulfs, but there's considerable room for you to make very different feeling armies out of the two forces.

Thanks for the reply :) I'll have a look in the modelling section for some inspiration, and I'm planning to read those books soon anyway. I quite like the idea of monster mash, and the kinda savage VC (ghoulking, terrogheists, crypt horrors etc) but there aren't many units I don't like I'm either so I'm pretty fluid build wise. How viable is a VC army with no zombies?

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
VC is perfectly viable without zombies, they serve a tactical purpose in being a cheap banner on the table that can just be munched on in a battle without worry, but they aren't necessary and you could easily make an army with just skeletons and/or ghouls (although sticking to just one of the two might not be a great plan)

Okay cool thank you. I think I will stick to skellies and ghouls, partially because I don't like zombies and also it'll make it easier to use them with TK too.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Check out Mioum. Has both TK and VC plogs on this site. Amazing conversions and painting.
https://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Tale-of-Painters-Tomb-Kings

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
I really like that TK painters log, really makes me want to get back into collecting Tomb Kings. If only I didnt have my Vampires and Dark Elves to finish off first and no money to even do them :tongue:

Okay yeah screw it im doing both. I love them both, and the fact I have too many armies hasn't stopped me before... (I think that's 4 now for WF and 2 for 40k...)

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
There's definitely no problem with doing both. I've seen both armies played, and I used to play Vampire Counts a lot myself in previous editions of the game. The two armies function differently in a number of respects to give you a varied experience. I think that you'll have a lot of fun playing both :).

I've been playing Tomb Kings for a year, and just too made the switch to Vampires. I'm porting over my skeletons, and maintaining the TK style with my vampires, but otherwise found that basically none of my models could port over. Oh well. It's great fun for conversion.

As a TK player it's truly amazing how much more dynamic the VC army is. You've got stuff that can fly (and actually fly, not this bullshit "fly that's actually hover" crap). Everything can march. Everything isn't ridiculously fragile. You're bringing models back left and right. It's amazing.

I've got my painting log up on the TK and Warseer forums if you look (same username). I have yet to update my pictures with my terrorgheist conversion (giant cobra dragon!), but hopefully there's something in there to inspire you. The conversion possibilities are endless, though I'll caution you that I'm actually spending more money on this army than I would have if I'd just started a whole new one (since I'm essentially paying for VC models and TK models both).

Since most of my stuff are from before the split of Undead into 2 armies I guess I could make a legal TK army, but tbh I don´t like the imagery of Tomb Kings so I haven´t considered building a TK army despite having Skeletons Archers, Undead Horsemen, Mummies, Skull Chuckas & Undead Chariots as well as Arkhan´s Chariot!

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
I have been tempted but the basic skeletons are horrible and i just keep getting tempted by the Tomb Guard, For what I would use out of the army I unfortunately see little point to starting the force.

If I was to do another army (again) I feel i would lean towards a entirely new force all together which has little similarities to my other armies.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I was tempted myself, I think a TK army done right can look really good. They do work quite differently together, I think a TK army needs to work much more synergistically (dammit Google, I am sure that's a word!) compared to VC.

But yes, you are a harlot for coming over to the night, but what the hell - harlots have fun!! :perv:

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Miss the days when they were the prefect double army to Vampire Counts back when they were just standard undead and not this new Nekarian undead rubbish.

Who said fun was just for Harlots Don? :perv:

I have been tempted but the basic skeletons are horrible and i just keep getting tempted by the Tomb Guard, For what I would use out of the army I unfortunately see little point to starting the force.

If I was to do another army (again) I feel i would lean towards a entirely new force all together which has little similarities to my other armies.
I use VC and Wargames Factory skeletons for my TK skittles. It works quite well. TK core definitely needs an upgrade.