• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Thanks for the link Gederas!

Are we sure repackaging means new battletome? Are there precedence for this? I haven't really followed when they repackage things and just seen it as random, but that might be a wrong assumption.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Thanks for the link Gederas!

Are we sure repackaging means new battletome? Are there precedence for this? I haven't really followed when they repackage things and just seen it as random, but that might be a wrong assumption.
I don't know myself, but people at TGA seemed to think so, and with some conviction.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
We ARE NOT sure about anything until it actually happens. There has been leaked art of 3e style repackaging of some Gravelord units, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean they're coming with a battletome, nor does it mean the repackaging is happening soon. That sort of art can easily be done a year or more in advance. The current Soulblight Gravelords battletome was developed & tested alongside 3rd edition. 3rd edition branding had likely already been decided, so it's entirely possible that the art for 3rd edition style gravelord boxes has been sitting around in GW's system waiting to be leaked and or implemented since gravelords release even happened, so honestly even seeing that art now doesn't necessarily even mean that we're likely to be getting even just the repackaging any time soon.

There was a big rumor pile that said FEC and OBR are the spring death battletomes, as would be expected, but that a revised soulblight battletome will come in the fall. That rumor pile now seems to have some support making it seem somewhat credible, but the things it seems to have correctly predicted could have been lucky guesses, and even if that rumor was based on accurate information at the time, that information could also be out of date. Maybe obr and fec were intended for spring, but some production or development issue pushed one of them back and soulblight were moved up into the spring slot since their 3rd edition update doesn't really require much and might have been ready to go for a while. Or maybe obr and fec come out as expected in the spring, and soulblight don't show up at all - maybe because they got delayed for some reason, maybe because the rumors were wrong and there never was an update planned for them this year. Yes 3e style box artwork has leaked for some of their units, but again that box art could easily have been floating around GW's file systems since before 3e's release. It's a strong sign that we could be seeing soulblight this year, but it's not proof of that, and certainly isn't proof that soublight are one of the spring books specifically.

We just don't know.

To reiterate: the current strongest rumors are:

late Q2:
  • OBR 3e book with FOMO/pity hero - a new debuff-oriented mortisan - and no other new kits
  • FEC 3e book with FOMO/pity hero - a ghoul shaman / court mage - plus a dual kit of medium ghouls half way between little ghouls and horrors with one melee build and one ranged build.
Late Q3:
  • Soulblight 3e book (don't expect major changes as the current book was already designed for 3e and is doing well according to GW's metawatch metrics) with new necromancer model and new dual kit grave guard / skeletal crossbow unit

Again, though, while that is the current state of the rumors, it IS just rumors so far. We could yet see all or some or none of this prove to be true. I'm honestly kind of hoping these rumors prove to be false, since those are absolutely not the releases I want to see for these factions. I dearly want that long hoped for Mortek Archer unit for OBR, especially in this current GHB season, and if they were to be stuck with only a fomo hero then I'd much rather see an infantry liege - which the army currently lacks - rather than another small wizard when there's already three generic units and two named units competing for that role. And while FEC does need any new units they can get, IMO what they need most are models for the courtier heroes that currently are stuck with resin or that have no kits at all, plus some sort of named heroes to give them some presence in the overall game narrative, which they currently painfully lack. And the current necromancer model is fantastic - they even already fixed the sprue so it no longer comes packaged with a square base. If they were going to replace a an existing hero it should be the wight king on foot who is still pre-modeled on an on-sprue square base. And why replace existing models at all when the hero soulblight players need and deserve is vampire lord on barded nightmare? Then again, new grave guard are needed and crossbones sound neat and cool, so if these rumors prove true there's at least one release I'll still be excited for.

So yeah, I'm not attached to these rumors because I /like/ them, they're just currently the most credible.

But the only thing confirmed is that GW currently are planning to release two 3e death battletomes in the latter half of Q2 this year, and that's far enough out yet that circumstances could still cause one or both of those planned releases to be delayed. nothing else is confirmed - not what factions they are, not what (if any) new models they'll be released with. Anything is still possible - though given how packed the year is both in terms of the sheer quantity of releases and how significant some of the expected releases already are (world eaters, 40k 10th edition, fully re-imagined cities of sigmar), the odds are heavily against any sort of entirely new death faction that would require a full new model range from scratch. That's the only possibility I feel comfortable ruling out completely.

Last edited:

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
Rhode Island
I think the case has been since 40k 9e and AoS 3e, they don't do updated boxes like that without an updated Codex or Battletome. So those image leaks mean a battletome is closer, rather than later.

My issue with the "made for [next edition] in mind" from Sception is this:

People said that about Codex: Space Marines 8.5, and it was very clearly NOT the case. The Gravelords book has some aspects of 3e in it, yes, but it's still clearly a 2e tome.

Reactions: Grave Tacticus

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I do not know what battletome will come first, I hope it is FEC but everything is guesses at this point until we see something official. A new Soulblight tome would not be the worst for me either as it might reinvigorate my interest in them as I am not a fan of how the book plays currently.

Regarding if books are "made for upcoming edition": I don't think that is how it works, sure the designers of the 2e sbg book might have some insight in what is coming, but it has been proven time and time again that even the best game designers cannot predict how a new ruleset will affect the meta and the factions, so they have to go with the data that they have, and for the Soulblight tome the data they knew was from 2e.

However, I do think that there is some merit to the idea that some 3e tomes were actually made for 2e and then "translated" to 3e. The Skaven tome being a good example.

In the end there are so many variables regarding releasing new models and books that the process will never be consistent and streamlined. With so many moving parts GW has to be flexible and adaptive to circumstance which I think is also why they are so vague with release dates.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
xmas_sbgl.png

A handful of new soulblight heroes I picked up as xmas gifts to myself.

The vampire mage conversion with his carrion bird familiar makes me want to play an undead patron chainlock in D&D.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
bluh wrong thread. oh well. thank you. :p

Last edited:

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Do you have a link?

I sure don’t understand why they keep pumping out random foot heroes for armies. They must sell really well... because we reslly don’t need them from a game play perspective.

Reactions: Oppenheimer

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
Rhode Island
Do you have a link?

I sure don’t understand why they keep pumping out random foot heroes for armies. They must sell really well... because we reslly don’t need them from a game play perspective.
This article is a trailer for the new Warcry box. Based on what we've seen with the last two, it's going to be Khorne V Death, as the previous ones have been Nurgle V Chaos (Rotmire Creed, Horns of Hashut) and Tzeentch V Seraphon (Jade Obelisk, Huanchi's Hunters). Based on the silhouettes it's almost definitely Khorne V Gravelords, as the one model that's not Chaos is clearly humanoid, not bony, not spectral and not hunched over.

HOWEVER!

Warcry hasn't done a box with only heroes for one of the factions in the battle boxes, and the "new" stuff for each release is usually filling a hole in that army's roster. So if Bloodhunt is indeed Gravelords, we might see elite foot units (so possibly a squad of Vampires).

Or it's a complete fakeout and it's Khorne V Daughters of Khaine 🤣

Oppenheimer

Vargheist
May 26, 2013
Hmmm I personally don't really see vampire in that silhouette but I'll be curious to see if you're right!

Kiba

Zombie
Jun 20, 2013
Could be.

After all, there is a precedent. Cado also has a "ronin" style.

Could be a more "asian" style vamp with hair bun included

Sen2

Skeleton
Dec 17, 2021
Nulahmia
That's a very cool concept; vamps that become monastic and contemplative to subdue their bestial nature. Kudos, GW, that's different.

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
Rhode Island
So, it looks like I was the "yes, but no" correct with the Rumour Engine. Not Vampire, but vampire adjacent 😆 (the claw is from the Khorne dude on all fours)

Myself, I REALLY like these new vampires. They're pretty much Söhei (Japanese warrior monks) with a werewolf as a pal, and the werewolf guy looks like a Yokai out of a Ukiyo-e woodcut painting.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu