• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

AoS Undead Army building (for every need)

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hello everyone!

Given the flexibility in army building in Age of Sigmar, and the different styles of House-ruling and restrictions each gaming group are implementing to play this game, I've come to realize that army building can no longer exist as before.

Instead, I propose here in this thread that we create "notions" of armies, or simply put, how to build the smallest, most effective combination of Warscrolls that can form a decent army, to suit every group's restrictions while having fun playing AoS.

You can name your armies if you like, and I'll be posting whatever I can come up with. Bear in mind we should include nice comboes and synergy from units, not just toss about random warscrolls, since some games will allow us to field more miniatures / wounds / warscrolls and the aim here is to provide with solid blocks and as self-sustaining concepts as possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Vlad & Isabella's Host of Conquest

The idea is simple. They are the only characters of the undead that should function together, so using both as your General/Lieutennant should be fun and fluffy.

Vlad von Carstein
Isabella von Carstein
Grave Guard or Tomb Guard
Vargheists / Varghulf / Coven Throne / Blood Knights

The idea is to couple Vlad's Slaves to Death command ability to maximize it's use with Grave Guard or Tomb Guard, to trigger those Cursed Weapon with 5+ to wound.

Then, we synergize Isabella's Blood Chalice of Bathory with any Vampire unit near her, so that she gives extra-healing to Vampires in need, however they must be very close to her (3'') so keep that in mind. A flying Varghulf could benefit from this nicely.

Now that their main synergies are covered, you should give them a decent model count to support them. I would think of the cheapest we can get:

Zombies
Corpse Cart
Wight King with the Infernal Standard

Plain and simple, with so many infantry (Grave Guard and Zombies) you really want to get that Infernal Standard to counter losses. Zombies + Corpse Cart is more than enough to keep massing reliable wounds (regardless of playing with Wound count, warscrolls or models). You can summon more of these anyways.

Finally, if your gaming system allows it, you can complement this army with a few specialized units:

Mortis Engine
Morghast Harbingers

Bat Swarm and maybe Fell Bats
Necromancers / Liche Priests to the taste (however Necromancers are better, since Liche Priests's Righteous Smiting can only affect Grave Guard, and they have no bonus To-Hit modifier, making this spell sub-par to a well placed VDM).

The idea is to cover your weaknesses. Vlad and Isabella are slow, and their army is slow as well, so you should really focus on having extra support with a centered Mortis Engine, Bat Swarms to hinder shooting a bit, and some extra characters, like Necromancers to provide with VDM. Morghast Harbingers / Archai just as support, but they are not really needed and can be summoned anyways.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Got any more ideas? :D

I'm loving Krell in AOS. Great model but I never really fielded him as himself before, just using him as a good-looking Wight King with great weapon.
In AOS his Command Ability is awesome.

Krell
Heinrich Kemmler

Skeleton Archers (I actually have some skeleton crossbowmen I made for army of Sylvania I plan on using)
Skeleton Warriors
Grave Guard
Black Knights

Or if you don't mind going off theme:
Necropolis Knights

Krell's command ability works on units with the tag "Skeleton" and grants an extra attack with each weapon (not as other similar abilities stipulate, melee weapons).
This means you can give that unit of skeleton archers an extra shot each for a total of 3 shots/model if there are enough of them.

Giving extra attacks to grave guard is always good, but black nights and Necropolis knights both gain two attacks each and can benefit from Kemmler's spell too (granting wounds back).

Krell and Kemmler naturally work well together, although I'm not sure how Krell's armor works with Kemmler's ability to displace wounds. Are the wounds handed through in 1s or do you work out wound total wounds redirected and then assign them to units within 3"? I think it should work the second way,: A unit attacks Kemmler->calculate unsaved HITS->Calculate wounds inflicted->Roll to see how many are re-directed->Assign wounds to models.

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
It works just like you said!!!

Really nice, I've tried it before, and it works wonders just with Grave Guard. Skeleton archers would be nice too!

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Note that these units naturally line up pretty well with our skeleton formation. Three skeleton warriors, one grave guard, one black knights, one wight king (for BSB). Just add Krell, Kemmler, and some archers, with kemmler hanging back with the latter and Krell moving forward to support the infantry (though he doesn't benefit from the formation rules, sadly. It really should have been 'wight king or krell', or just had krell as a 0-1 hero choice in addition to the wight king). Call in the doomed legion, and use some of the combined arms tactics described in other threads for a phalanx of grave guard in the front supported by spear skellies behind, with small detachments of sword skellies on the flanks. In bigger games, maybe throw down more archers, a couple of screaming skull catapults, and a necrotect (sandwitched between the catapults) to provide extra incentive for your opponent to come to you (the grave guard / skeleton phalanx wants to be on the receiving end of charges).

Only down side is that you're already looking at a pretty large game with just the basic formation plus kemmler, krell, and the archers. Even something like 2x10 hand wep skellies, 10 grave guard, 20 spear skellies, 5 black knights, 20 archers, krell, kemmler, and a wight king bsb is already 100 odd wounds with three hero scrolls, which puts it at a larger scale than most AoS games I've seen going around, with none of the monster or war machine shenans that I've typically seen in larger AoS games, and with only the black knights (probably out of range) and the heroes to benefit from Kemmler's spell, he's likely to be stuck falling back on default spells (which aren't amazing) and summoning (which can be touch and go without casting boosts, yet still can break games if you get lucky).

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
This is a great thread! I approve :)

I also love that Krell is awesome now :) I always loved that guy!

Also, the following formation is a bit mental:

Front line of zombies, wrapping around the back.

Just over an inch behind the front of this line you have a line of grave guards with great weapons including Krell
Immediately behind them you have Skeleton Spearmen.
Behind them you have Kemmler, a corpse cart and about 30 skeleton archers....

Finally, make a banner for the the Zombie unit that says "Come and get some!"

Zombies form a regenerating bubble wrap ensuring an effective "Counter-charge" situation, while the formation makes good use of the strengths of the other units.
Anything charging this gets enveloped by zombies and devoured.

I've been using the Deathrattle Horde Battle Formation as a template. Similar to @Hmmmokaythen's list:

Krell
Wight King w Infernal Standard
Necromancer
1 x Skeleton Archers
2-3 x Skelton Warriors (1 spears, 1 sword & shield)
1 x Grave Guard
1 x Black Knights

I have the Kemmler model, but the Necromancer's Spell (Vanhel's Danse Macarbe) works so much better as a synergy with Krell's command ability. So I will use him as a Necromancer.

I'm not certain that the Skeleton Archers will count towards the Deathrattle Horde's minimum of 3 units, so I can leave them out for a unit of warriors just in case, or add them as an extra if required.

This is forming the basis for my initial AOS Undead army. Long Live the Doomed Legion!

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The archers do not count. 'skeleton warrios' is a particular unit, 'skeleton archers' is another. I recommend one large unit of spears backing up the grave guard, and two small units of swords watching the flanks, with the archers as extra, and if you have room for more stuff maybe a pair of catapults and a necrotec, to motivate your opponents to come to you, throwing themselves on your formation's blades.

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
I've used Skeletons in a non-formation and they all still own!!

You'd need:

1. General whose command ability outperforms that of a more generic Hero (like Vampires, who can affect any DEATH unit). Tomb Kings or Krell can fill this post.

2. Your core units that are Skeleton and/or Deathrattle. You can take a pick here, between Skeleton Warriors, Archers, Black Knights, Grave Guard, Necropolis Knights*, Khemrian Warsphinx (not Royal). As many as you like or can afford. I've seen a block of 40 Skeleton Warriors with spears stop 3 charging cavalry... with a little Etheral wall to absorb the first impact, of course.

3. Your backup. This is whatever synergizes well with the above. Necromancers for VDM. Liche Priests if you chose a +1 To Hit General, like a Tomb King, to get some extra aid from Righteous Smiting, works specially well with Archers. A Wight King with the Infernal Standard if your army contains many infantry (1-wound models) so that they have a "ward" save when they are bout to die. Necrotects to help Melee units to score a few more points (works best with Grave Guard / Tomb Guard / Necropolis Knights, to help them score those 6+ effects) plus a Catapult with a Necrotect is never wrong!. Krell + the Khemrian Warsphinx means double Fiery Breath!. Tomb Herald's Standard helps you replenish those Skeletons, more so with multi-wound models such as Necropolis Knights.

4. What you lack: mobility. You have the long range with Archers, and solid blocks of infantry that you will most likely take in order to maximize your Command Ability. Some fast-moving troops should be nice, in order to counter your opponent's long range. This can be Vargheists, Varghulf, Sepulchral Stalkers, Carrion and Prince Apophas can do the trick. If you are taking a Necrotect and a Catapult, you may as well capitalize on those -2 to Bravery in the shooting phase, so fielding Banshees and Terrorgheists is not a bad idea. Not Mortis Engines though, since the Wail of the Damned is triggered in the Hero phase, not allowing you to debuff enemies with the Screaming Skulls.

5. Summoning: suit to taste. 3 Vargheists can take out an enemy Hero if you let them strike first, another Terrorgheist is always juicy, adding Necropolis Knights is never a bad idea,