• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Ard Boyz Results

3000 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster - Ghouls in the shadows

Vampire Lord (1#, 390 pts)
. . 1 Vampire Lord @ 390 pts (General; Vampire; Level 3 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead)
. . . . 1 Charmed Shield
. . . . 1 Talisman of Preservation
. . . . 1 Forbidden Lore (Shadow)
. . . . 1 Master of the Black Arts

Vampire Lord (1#, 360 pts)
. . 1 Vampire Lord @ 360 pts (Vampire; Level 3 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Undead)
. . . . 1 Power Stone
. . . . 1 Master of the Black Arts
. . . . 1 Forbidden Lore (Shadow)

Vampire (1#, 195 pts)
. . 1 Vampire @ 195 pts (Vampire; Hand Weapon; Lance; Undead)
. . . . 1 Channeling Staff
. . . . 1 Helm of Commandment
. . . . 1 Ghoulkin
. . . . 1 Dread Knight (Barding)
. . . . . . 1 Nightmare

Dire Wolves (10#, 80 pts)
. . 10 Dire Wolves @ 80 pts (Undead)

Lord of the Barrows (1#, 235 pts)
. . 1 ~[(^One or more selected options present a potential usage conflict]×~[(#]Wight King (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 235 pts (Always Strikes Last; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer; Undead)
. . . . 1 The Drakenhof Banner

Crypt Ghouls (60#, 488 pts)
. . 59 Crypt Ghouls @ 488 pts (Causes Fear; Poisoned Attacks; Undead)
. . . . 1 Crypt Ghast

Skeleton Warriors (27#, 251 pts)
. . 26 Skeleton Warriors @ 251 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Undead)
. . . . 1 Lichebone Pennant
. . . . 1 Skeleton Champion (Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield)

Necromancer (1#, 95 pts)
. . 1 Necromancer @ 95 pts (Hand Weapon; Undead)
. . . . 1 Nightmare
. . . . 1 Dispel Scroll
. . . . 1 2. Vanhel's Danse Macabre

Crypt Ghouls (25#, 208 pts)
. . 24 Crypt Ghouls @ 208 pts (Causes Fear; Poisoned Attacks; Undead)
. . . . 1 Crypt Ghast

Varghulf (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Varghulf @ 175 pts (Vampire; Causes Terror; Hatred; Regenerate; Undead)

Varghulf (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Varghulf @ 175 pts (Vampire; Causes Terror; Hatred; Regenerate; Undead)

Zombie Horde (60#, 252 pts)
. . 60 Zombie Horde @ 252 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Undead)

Necromancer (1#, 95 pts)
. . 1 Necromancer @ 95 pts (Hand Weapon; Undead)
. . . . 1 Forbidden Rod
. . . . 1 Ironcurse Icon

Validation Report:
Edition: 8th Edition; Game Type: Normal Game; Army Subtype: Vampire Counts Army
Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Total Roster Cost: 2999

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com

Sorry that I don't have pictures (my wife had my cell phone), so I'm going to have to do quick summaries.

Game 1 VS Dark elves

Most of his army deployed on my left flank, and in the center. Most of mine deployed on the right flank and the center.

Most of the game was maneuvering, but I charged his black Guard with my 60 ghouls. They eventually destroyed the black guard (WS 6 ghoul were amazing!). They were flank charged by a chariot on the next round, and one of my Vargulf counter-counter-charged.

After 3 rounds of combat, they overran into a unit of crossbowmen, which broke and were run down.

His magic and shooting killed my Vampire hero, the mounted necro, and the direwolves which despite their best efforts could not re-join the army fast enough. He did get a couple of round of WS 6 goodness however, which made all the difference.

One weird thing was the he thought the Ring of Hoeth made miscasts for spells whose effects were within 12" of the bearer, instead of the caster being within 12".

Minor victory, had the largest unit within 6" of the center.

Round 2 vs Lizardmen.

He had 4 units of skinks, 2 razordons, a stegadon, 2 salamanders a Slann in Temple Guard, 2 unit of saurus, a unit of 4 Kroxigor, and a skink priest.

I marched forward with my ghouls before the game. He moved forward with his entire army, and shot the ghouls up badly, and cast a Heavens spell which made them take a Strength test or die (no ward). This killed 1/2 the unit, and eventually they were shot to death.

I managed to charge his Stegadon, the Kroxigor, and a Salamander with the zombies. I moved my Helm vampire into position, to join the generals unit which was within 12" of the zombie unit. I then successfully cast Okkams Mindrazor on the zombies.

Because my general could "potentially" get charged by his SMP (would have had to roll a 9, along with a charge from the skins) I decided to use the Lore attribute to switch away out of his unit and out of the way with one of the necromancers on the other side of the board.

One might note here, that now the general was NOT within 12" of the zombies. And they are <drum roll please> Leadership 2!!!!!

I would have had 45 WS 6 S10 attack. But, he rolled his attacks and was hitting on 3's because I was so despondent from having been so stupid, that I forgot to tell him that the zombies were WS6..... <sigh> This would have been enough to probably kill everything in BtB.

The rest of the game continued with my making mistakes and being overly aggressive, resulting in giving him a massacre and my getting zero points.

I was stupid, stupid, stupid. Had I not moved my general, I would have been probably 1000 points in the lead, turned to face with the zombies, and potentially gotten a massacre. If I was watching the game, the magnitude of my mistakes would have looked like I was throwing it purposefully. <sigh>

:slapface:

Third game was against a dwarf player.

He had 2 cannons (1 flaming), a gyrocopter, 1 bolt thrower, a unit of hammerers, 2 units of 10 thunderers, a unit of 10 quarrelers, a Volley-gun, a unit of 15 miners, and a slayer.

The ghouls multi-charged the warriors and the hammerers on the first turn (after a pre-game march). Despite not getting Okkams off on the ghouls the entire game, they eventually ran both units down, with the eventual help of the 2 Vargulf in the flank after polishing off the Dragon Slayer.

The small unit of ghoul and skeletons picking up various warmachines. After the miners came in I successfully cast Pit of Shades on them, which killed 10, the paniced and ran off the table.

The unit of zombies came in on the table edge, and on 2 charged a unit of thunderers which ran off the board. They then charged a cannon, running them off the board.

End result was a massacre with 2-3 extra battle points.

Summary.

I came in 4th over-all out of 10 (lots of ties in the final round), and still have a chance at going to the regionals since the #1 player (the Lizardmen player) doesn't have a lot of time off, and often has to work weekends.

The DE player that I beat came in 3rd, and I was only 5 points behind him. Even a minor loss would have put me in 3rd!

The entire army concept was that VC models are tremendously over-costed and pathetic. However, if you make the WS 6 and S10, they will beat EVERYTHING in the game in HtH. The pre-game march is brutally effective, and I should have not tried to be tricky and cast a bunch of small spells, and instead went for Okkams first thing every time.

The synergy was amazing, and had I not been incredibly stupid, I might have been able to come in first place.

A key was the HUGE unit of Ghouls, because they could take a tremendous amount of damage and still get maximum number of attacks. Even the zombies were brutally effective using this strategy.

So, I have to say that with lots of power dice and being aggressive the standard troops buffed with Shadow are total game winners.

Well done, main thing for any game even tournys in my opinion is to have fun ( i know some people won't agree and think its all about winning but anyway). 1 thing i will say tho is the Ring of Hotek is within 12" of the person wearing the ring not the caster.

Other than that well done on getting 4th place shame you couldn't make the semi's :(
Did you not take any GG or cavalry for a particular reason or just not a fan?

Cheers for the post :)

Good to hear you had some fun, I got 1st at mine with a masacure evey round with all the battle point modifiers. 2nd was lizardmen and 3rd was Tomb Kings, we had 16 people at my event

I absolutely did have fun with all my games.

@ Borak, I started to argue with you, but then I read it again, and you appear to be correct. It was the last spell of the turn, and it did not succeed, and I had a 3+ ward against magic, so it's unlikely it would have changed the game. But I'll have to tell him that he was correct.

@TobinRoss89 Congratulations! I would love to hear about your games and what you had in your army list, and of course what opponents you drew. Well done, and I'm going to have to pay more attention to what you say given your reported win ratio!

As for lack of cavalry and Grave Guard, my theory is that every unit in the VC army is inferior to my opponents. A keeper of Secrets will annihilate Blood Knights, and when there were only 4 people signed up, I assumed that I'd be playing against it. Steam tanks are equally the problem. Unsurprisingly I didn't face either of them! Again, outsmarted myself! The wraiths would have been very useful.

With dramatically more attacks, these deficiencies are even more pronounced. WoC destroy Grave Guard in a single round of combat (at least my opponents are able to) with 3 hell-cannons shooting at them for a round.

So, with Grave Guard dying as quickly as Zombies, why not field zombies, and make them WS 6 and S 10? Zombies are pretty good that way, and my opponent couldn't deny combat to 2 60 model blocks.

TobinRoss89 said:
Good to hear you had some fun, I got 1st at mine with a masacure evey round with all the battle point modifiers. 2nd was lizardmen and 3rd was Tomb Kings, we had 16 people at my event
Congratulations TobinRoss89 and thanks for the reports Zanthor. I also took 1st, with all massacres and nearly all battle points, in a field of 12. Game 1 was vs Lizardmen, Game 2 vs Teclis Death sniper High Elves, and Game 3 vs Dwarves. Grave Guard horde FTW!! :vampire3:

Actually, I'm going back again...

FAQ for the Ring of Hotek reads "Change to “Any Wizard (friend or foe) attempting to cast a
spell within 12" of the wearer must roll on the Miscast table on
any roll of a double, but will only cast a spell with irresistible
force on a roll of double 6.”"

The PREVIOUS FAQ said that it was the effect of the spell. The current FAQ only changes the wording to that above. So, I stand by the ruling, which isays that the wizard must be within 12", and the placement of the spell is not relevant.

So guys, share your lists! Let's see what worked and what didn't!

I will for sure post my list later on after the tournaments are over. Im hoping to place somewhere in the top 20 in the nation this year so my list is under raps.

I will share this. omg double slaan wall and darkelf casters with the reverse ward save and sacrificail dagger are intence.

So far it looks like both Gabriel von Drack and myself advanced and Zanthor was first alternate, that cant be all of us? Who else made it and plans to go to the next round?

Well, as I predicted, I will be going to the semi-finals. I've since improved my list, and have played a lot of games, and while it's going to be tough, I think I've got a chance at winning some/all of my games.

So it looks like the next round of ard boys is a little farther away than expected. I dont know yet if I am willing to make the drive since I can do this or a few gt tournaments and since the goal for me this next year or so is to make the american ECT team I may go the gt route.

Thanks, but I'd rather that they simply lose concentration. Miscast means IF now! :) And I'm bringing a dispel scroll for the first big one! Though I don't have a lot of faith going in. I got tabled by an empire player last Thursday night. Granted I wrote the list for him, with my list in mind, but it was his first bleeping game of 8th edition!
Coyote said:
Keep us in the loop, 'migo. Well fought! And may your opponents roll Miscasts...

wow good luck guys I would diffidently like to see your lists after Ard boyz. So the vampires seem to still kick ass I see :thumbsup:
Make Nagash proud! xD

Well the scenarios are out, and it looks like they tried to bone Vampire Counts errr... I mean magic heavy armies.

Isn't that just wonderful! I mean we have pathetic, over-costed troops, our characters are not as good in combat as most other books, we have virtually no shooting, and now they do this to us? Nice.

Well, at this point, there's nothing to do but go completely overboard with magic, and that's what I'm going to do. The Purple Sun and I are going to be very familiar by the end of the day tomorrow!

Well, I'm back from Ard Boyz. I finished 6th.

First game against empire. He deployed way forward, and I got first turn. You should have seen the shock on his face when I charged his big knight unit with 53 ghouls, and 2 cannons with Hellsteed vampires on turn 1! He wanted to concede, but I talked him into continuing the game and try to get points away from me. Major victory about 100 points short of a Massacre.

Second game against Daemons (Charos, and Skulltaker) I got a flank charge off first turn against a block of Daemonettes with a unit of ghouls, as well as purple-sun off against Charos (who made his Initiative 1 save... <sigh>) He then proceeded to pummel me with magic, until his Purple Sun misfired, and sucked Charos back to the warp. He killed 5-dog direwolf unit and a 30 GG unit. I killed the Daemonettes and 2 Heralds, and Charos (well technically anyway!). Major victory

Third game against Dark Elves. His Black Guard survived a second turn charge from my ghouls and stayed in combat the entire rest of the game with only 1 champion holding up a vampire, ghouls and Grave-Guard. He killed my General on turn 1 with my having failed a 2+ Charmed Shield, and 3 4+ Ward saves. He also got a single magic phase with between 26 and 26 magic dice between Purple Sun and the stupid, stupid dagger.

I finished 5th of 16 at our semi's.

Game 1 vs Teclis led High Elves, one huge horde of sea guard, one block of SM, and one block of PG. Massacre for the VC

Game 2 vs Dwarfs, one huge horde of LBs, one min unit of warriors, one min unit of thunderers, one medium unit of hammerers, and 12-15 warmachines. I botched deployment and couldn't maneuver my hordes quickly enough. Massacre for the Dwarves

Game 3 vs Dark Elves, huge horde of warriors, hydra, dark riders, etc. Massacre for the VC

Forge

Crypt Horror
I saw the first mission of the semi finals and called to cancel my hotel reservations and let the tournament organizer know I wasnt coming. I like how GW made it so certain armies shouldnt win Ard boys and some should win it, IE Dwarfs, O&G, Deamons and empire win GG!

at least i saved 150 bucks + gas

hi Zanthor,../
very helpful information placed ,..these are the result occurs about Ard Boyz,...its very good experience from this discussion,..

@Forge,

Surprisingly, the first mission didn't do anything to me. I figured I might as well "go big or go home" and I was correct. The short deployment zone meant that I was able to slam into my opponent early, and the the improved ability to cast with IF meant that I knew that it wasn't worth throwing the "small" spells. Just concentrate on either Okkams or Purple Sun.