• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Are therre alternative Hexwraiths minis?

Hello!!

Does anyone know of decent alternatives for Hexwraiths?? I may be alone in thinking the new miniatures are a bit poo...

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Your alone. :ghost:

You could always just make the black knights and give them scythes instead by converting the lance and paint them differently.
Sorted.

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
I don't care for the models either. My idea was that if I ever decide to get some, I'll just get the Tomb Kings horsemen, for naked skeletons on naked skeleton horses, and greenstuff fire onto them. Maybe give them the scythes from the zombie sprue.

I like the minis for the most part, but it's a matter of scale for me. My blood knights and black knights are from other lines and is like to get something of similar scale. I like the idea of the naked skeleton horsemen and may do something similar.. Maybe I can find something in a comparable scale from a different manufacturer and just add zombie scythes.

ProperGoffic

Bringing Sixy Back
True Blood
I was going to do undead Pistoliers. Y'know, since I run an ex-Imperial army and all. A few spare screaming skulls, a lot of putty, maybe a few Tomb King horses, job done?

After doing a bit of searching I found this on Black Tree Design

http://www.blacktreedesign.com/uk/product.php?printable=Y&productid=23824&cat=0&page=142

It's only about £4.00 too.

Not a fan of all the flames etc on the Hexwratihs, great idea, but in actuallity for me it fails. Especially the one with the flaming bucket on his head, and why would you have things dangling off the end of a scythe????!!!! G.W should know less is sometimes more...

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Your paying only slightly less for them before postage and they look like they are riding camels....
Have to be honest mate, light is not their friend. :thumbsdown:

Trim the bits you don't like off and use normal skulls.

Aye I'm begining to think so too, I may end up just getting the Hexwraith box set. there seems to be a strange lack of mounted wraiths out there!!

Most of my stuff is now from Mantic with some stuff from G.W. I prefer the undead look sans bat motif. I just don't like the way that in the Old world as soon as you're resurrected all of a sudden you have a bat wing fetish.

Still, at least most of the range is not sculpted by Gary Morley now!!

Zhatan

Necromancer
I am with you in not liking the hexwraiths but after looking at some sprues I think they would look ok if you get rid of all the weird bits hanging of them, for example the guy with the brazier attached to the shoulder.... wth was the sculptor rhinking.

Zhatan,

I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! Things like that SHOULD be optional extras, that you put on if you want to, I don't want to buy the box and then have to start cutting them up!!

I do wish that G.W realised that less is more....

alternatively I wish I could find some decent mounted wraiths out there......... somewhere..... up where sky's are blue.... Ahem, sorry about that!!

Gombol

Skeleton
I quite like the models for Hexwraiths, but they are soooooo delicate, it's akward to transport. =/

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Having looked at alternative options, I opted for GW's Hexwraiths. I'm hoping to be able to cut off some of the excess bits. I'll report back about how I get on if anyone is interested.

I have opted to use the LoTR Ringwraiths as my Hexwraiths, and I have to say they look damn good as them. If only I could get them as plastic instead of metal, I would be so much happier.

Fenriswulf said:
I have opted to use the LoTR Ringwraiths as my Hexwraiths, and I have to say they look damn good as them. If only I could get them as plastic instead of metal, I would be so much happier.
I've been looking for the mounted ones both on GW's site & on eBay, without a lot of success so far, but the scale is PERFECT for my mostly Mantic army!!

I don't blame you at all for using them! Good man!!

Elzanith

Grave Guard
Lord Elpus said:
Hello!!

Does anyone know of decent alternatives for Hexwraiths?? I may be alone in thinking the new miniatures are a bit poo...
Yes, yes you are....

But the Mordor Knights (i forgot there names) are the perfect size but more expensive....

At last!!! My search is over!!!

Going through my bits crate #2(yes,seriously,crate (not box) #2) today, (finally my stuff was delivered last week by removal firm form Scotland to Norway for me) I have found 5 old plastic skeleton horsemen that I'll use!!:happy:(from the old big red box of skeletons, circa early 90's)

Happy, happy joy, joy!!!!

I'm a bit meh on our newest mounties, it's not that I dislike them just don't particularly like them either. Personally just going to do my ethereal paint job on some Mantic figures. You get twice for the price too.

well they're big enough, I'm 5' 9" and when they're on the floor the crates come up to my knee and they're over a meter long by about the same wide. So far I've got 4 and a half of them full of bits.xD