• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Are Vampires only human?

Magpie

Skeleton
Simple question, can Vampires be only derived from humans.

i.e. can the blood kiss be giving to an Elf or Ork or Skaven etc ?

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
It has happpened.
Orc's and Giants have to my Knowledge.

In the old Genevieve books when she is on the island with a Vampire sanctuary there is a Vampire Giant there among other rarity's.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Not impossible, never heard of eleven vampires but in regards to magic and and lifespan it would be pointless as they are beings of magic as well, you will just have really strong elves.

Bounce

Varghulf
I think elven and dwarven vampires are possible. But they would never go for it willingly like a human might as there is no advantage for them

Magpie

Skeleton
My thought was if they were injured or disgraced or seeking inhum.... err inelven strength they might want the blood kiss

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
It depends on whether you take into account the older fluff(Night's Dark Masters and Liber Necris, to be more specific) or simply ignore it. IIRC, either or both of the abovementioned titles states that WHFB Elves cannot become vampires, because the magic inherent in Elven blood would react adversely with the vampiric curse. If I'm not wrong, the consequence was that the Elf in question would literally self-destruct by exploding or something like that.

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Personally I actually think only humans can be vamps!

Besides vampire genieve books, has there been any other fluff that states there can be...say orc vampires? The said books are ancient x)

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
The Liber Necris is probs the best source book and it would make it hard for an elf to become a vampire but not impossible.
What it comes down to though is old Lore VS old Novels or do you just want to do what you think is cool?

Magpie

Skeleton
It's about being cool more than anything else.

I want to use female Dragon Princes(ses) as my Blood Knights Cavalry to fit in with my "All Female Vampires" army. It also help explain why I use the Dragon princes kit and not the uber expensive Blood Knights kit which for the price is a bit ho hum to me.

I found an obscure reference to Dragon Princesses in the War of the Beard and went from there.

Lord_Mortis

Crying Dude
Bounce said:
I think elven and dwarven vampires are possible. But they would never go for it willingly like a human might as there is no advantage for them
Except vampires wouldn't feed on dwarven blood, too much rock in their blood.

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Lord_Mortis said:
Bounce said:
If in a bad situation, they might try still!

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sainna said:
Lord_Mortis said:
Bounce said:
If in a bad situation, they might try still!
Read Nefrata, they drink it and they are fine, they are not keen on the taste but no issue, same as beastmen blood.
Elf Blood though makes them Drunk..... Its like a fine wine, Go figure. :rolleyes:

Magpie

Skeleton
You get stonked on Elf Blood ! Even better, all the girls around the fire, share a bit o' blood and ...... well you can guess the rest ;)

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Drunk is putting it lightly, elven blood ( at least druchii) seemingly can knock a careless vampire cold x)

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I think that it would be very implausible for an Elf to become a vampire, not only for the reasons given, but also because of their lifespan. Having such a long life, and a completely different view of life compared to humans, I doubt that many Elves would expose themselves to vampirism willingly.

There are other races which could be more vulnerable to the temptations of vampirism, but again, not so much as humans. I certainly don't see Orcs as being a prime vampirism candidate, for example.

Magpie

Skeleton
Irisado said:
I think that it would be very implausible for an Elf to become a vampire, not only for the reasons given, but also because of their lifespan. Having such a long life, and a completely different view of life compared to humans, I doubt that many Elves would expose themselves to vampirism willingly.
Do you think they might if they were crippled and offered the chance to be fully able, indeed stronger than before?

That's kind of what I am wondering, if they faced 2000+ years disabled would they accept vampirism then?

Or are they just too "good"

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Magpie said:
Do you think they might if they were crippled and offered the chance to be fully able, indeed stronger than before?

That's kind of what I am wondering, if they faced 2000+ years disabled would they accept vampirism then?

Or are they just too "good"
It's not a question of 'good' versus 'evil', it's far more complicated than that.

Elves have completely different ways of dealing with any obstacles which may come their way. It has been a long time since I've read any Elf background for Warhammer, so someone else can fill in the details which my memory can't recall, but essentially, while humans may look to various dark powers (chaos, necromancy, or the lure of vampirism) to 'rejuvenate' themselves, Elves are simply far less likely to.

Magpie

Skeleton
Irisado said:
.... while humans may look to various dark powers (chaos, necromancy, or the lure of vampirism) to 'rejuvenate' themselves, Elves are simply far less likely to.

OK but why tho'?

The Dark Elves show that there are lures that can lead elves to the Dark Powers so why not succumb to other temptations?

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
There are less elves, they have other means to achieve such goals (hell Teclis is crippled but fuels his body with magic) and because they live for tens of thousands of years they don't care about living so long.

Its stated that Men form the vast majority of those who go to necromancy as they are the shorter lived of races where as elves, dwarfs etc can live for hundred and even thousands of years.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
:siren:Thread Moved:siren:

I think this had evolved into a more 'fluffy' conversation. That's not to say it was in the wrong place to start with.

Cheers,

u_m

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Magpie said:
Irisado said:
.... while humans may look to various dark powers (chaos, necromancy, or the lure of vampirism) to 'rejuvenate' themselves, Elves are simply far less likely to.

OK but why tho'?

The Dark Elves show that there are lures that can lead elves to the Dark Powers so why not succumb to other temptations?
One must also remember that Dark Elves might hunger for power but there are certain limits how far most of them are willing to go.
As it was pointed out, elven blood is quite nasty to Vampires and it might be quite a pain to even try to turn a elf and the chance of success is tiny. So I still believe the vamp herself would be reluctant to take the risk and so would the elf be.

What about halflings, from what i can tell this problem uses old background so halflings would have to be included in this somewhere.

@sainna, what about a newly blooded vampire who didn't know the consequences of blooding an elf? and what if the elf in question was a dark elf?

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
Chaos Zombie said:
What about halflings, from what i can tell this problem uses old background so halflings would have to be included in this somewhere.

@sainna, what about a newly blooded vampire who didn't know the consequences of blooding an elf? and what if the elf in question was a dark elf?
The Dark elf would probably try to kill the vampire. But let us say for some reason he does not, then the newly blooded vampire would already screw herself over by carelessly feeding from the elf.
Even if she does somehow not carelessly feed, she is far too weak to turn a elf that -probably- ( no lore to confirm really ) requires a lot of work/power already.

Even then. Where will a dark elf vampire go? Back to his society? will not work, he will be butchered by his kin who probably will be far more effective snooping out vampires among them then humans are.
Go live with humans? Will not really work as well for many obvious reasons.

I just strongly feel that even if it might somehow be possible, it would not be done as it's not useful for the vampire or the elf-vampire-to-be.

Magpie

Skeleton
Sainna said:
I just strongly feel that even if it might somehow be possible, it would not be done as it's not useful for the vampire or the elf-vampire-to-be.
I'm working on the premise that it does work to a mutual benefit to both.

We seem to have established that the only thing stopping it is the point of view of the Elf and well everyone has their price.