• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Army Painter Sprays

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
This is a basic dumb-ass question, sorry in advance!

I lazily bought a can of Army Painter Skeleton Bone, and I just wondered can I use it directly as a primer or should I give my models a blast of black / white first? I'm a bit paranoid as I've only used Citadel spray cans for undercoating before now, and I'm suspicious of anything cheaper! ;)

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I use it as a primer myself works good spray careful as it does come out thick.

Jerek

Ghoul
You can use them as a primer. They are very fickle though, and come out very thick. If the humidity isn't right, they will 'dust' your model so be careful

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
So wait for a nice dry day and give it a go? Okay, thanks for that advice.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
The fact j live in a arid place makes me forget the humidity thing

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
was about to try those, since gw's chaos black is sh*it in a can nowadays.
had an old can, sprayed 2 models. then i took a new one, sprayed the rest....very big difference, too bad i didnt take pics.
it covers less, blends worse in can. doesnt last as much and is just worse in every way it.

need find a new primer brand:(

xFallenx

Grave Guard
I just use a cheap ($5) walmart can of flat primer & so long as the conditions are met have had great success. The AP line is a great example of marketing done right. For the price of one AP spray you'll get three different walmart ones to try out & now that I know the quick shade is nothing more than wood stain, I've picked up three different tins of those to try as well.
Now to get my hands on a decent paint stripper to bring my test models back to bare plastic...

Mr. West

Lahmian Tomb Guard
Shadespyre said:
I lazily bought a can of Army Painter Skeleton Bone, and I just wondered can I use it directly as a primer or should I give my models a blast of black / white first?

Step 1: Use black primer to achieve a thin basecoat on your miniatures.
Step 2: Carefuly use the bone spray to have only a thin 'mist' of the paint settle on the models. For example, by aiming the spray cans muzzle slightly above the models.

Tomfoolery

Grave Guard
I have been using these lately with nothing but goodie good thing to say about them. They go on smooth as silk, they are as flat as Keira Knghtlys chest, you get a lot for your money and the color selection is pretty decent. Of course no white or black but trying to find white or black primer is like missing the toilet when your wasted. It happens and it isn't hard to do.

Imgp9933.jpg

I got the idea for these after using them to camo up one of my AKs. I no longer have that weapon but as you can see here they do an excellent job. The finish is tough as nails and dead smooth, very very flat.

MulticamM4.jpg

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
The advantage of army painter over krylon is the touch up bottles army painter sells. Some of the krylons do not match directly to gw paints.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
I gave it a go today - directly onto my Mantic Skeletons without any other undercoat - and it came up fine. Now I just have to basecoat them all neatly so I don't have to touch up the bone bits (yes, I'd better go order that brush on pot now!)

I would love to use Krylon products, but the formulation contains something that makes them illegal to import to the EU! Which makes me wonder how I got the one can that I tried and loved, but that's what I'm told. I even tried contacting US wholesalers to see if someone would ship me a job lot!

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
You can definitely use it as a primer. It's the base for almost all my VC models. It is quite fickle as stated earlier.
Shame about no Krylon for you, it is top notch stuff and cheap!

I've tested Skeleton Bone and Necrotic Flesh as a primer, also their Black. Black is awesome and i find it better than GWs, the colour primers are very good too, but they needed a bit more layering (or i was too cautious applying it..).
In any case i'd recommend to watch the AP instruction video on the tube, since it's handling differs a bit from other blends - i guess the complaining you read here and there about APs primers is a result of using them in the usual way and getting therefor ugly results. I haven't had any problems so far.
I don't know how close the primers are to other colour ranges like Vallejo or GW, so maybe it's a good idea to buy a small bottle of the particular match paint, if something goes wrong during painting and you need to get the base colour back on some parts..

cheers