• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Army-Specific Tactics - Skaven

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Hello,

This thread is for archiving the various tips, builds and strategies that can be of use when fighting the Skaven. This first post will periodically be updated to include the input that has been given in the thread. The categorization is the same as with the earlier threads,

Effective Tactics / Units to Use

Tactics / Units Not Recommended to Use

Enemy Items / Units / Tactics to Watch Out For

:siren:Note that this is not the place for in-depth discussion in regards to the advice that is shared. If you wish to debate on any specific topic, you're free to start up an independent thread in the main section of The Teachings of Abhorash instead.:siren:

Thank you. :)

Inspiring presence from your general also doesn't get used in strength in numbers. Strength in numbers only modifies the unit's unmodified, base leadership.

Long time skaven player here, so I'd be more than happy to give anyone helpful tips on how to beat them/what to watch out for and how to counter it.

One of the biggest mistakes you run into when facing skaven is that people underestimate their spells. They're always looking out for the dreaded 13th, plague, or wither and don't pay any attention to warp lightning, death frenzy, crack's call, or even a well timed howling warpgale.

Ghouls are FANTASTIC against them, just be careful with placement and don't get flank charged by a doomwheel and/or a HPA. Wolves are amazing as they can be controlled, where as the doomwheel and HPA are random. If you can charge the doomwheel then charge it, do not wait for it to come to you. Same with the HPA, because it gets impact hits (this is unless you plan on putting speed bumps in front of it).

Don't ever charge into the bell's unit expecting to challenge the grey seer off of it. He can decline the challenge and will not go to the back. He simply climbs back up on the bell and completely ignores it. On the same note, try and control the middle if the opponent is running a bus unit with the bell. He will go into the middle and turn around so you have to chew threw around 60-70 unbreakable clanrats before you even start hitting the bell. This was and still is my favorite strategy to this date. I would march it forward 10 inches, then ring it with 1 dice to go an additional d6 inches and then turn it around the next turn.

Be careful for storm vermin against your ghouls. If he gets death frenzy off then you can might as well kiss your ghouls good-bye. Especially when he uses Queek.

Amarll said:
Inspiring presence from your general also doesn't get used in strength in numbers. Strength in numbers only modifies the unit's unmodified, base leadership.
Can you explain where you read that please because it's not the way it is played here.

I checked the skaven errata but didnt find anything that conclude that.

I found the following:
"Units with the Strength in Numbers special rule add their current rank bonus to their Leadership value for any Leadership test.”

And

“Any bonus from the ranks of the General's unit is not passed on to units within his Inspiring Presence range.”

The way it's understood here that the unit get the base leadership of the general then add it's own rank bonus.

For exemple, 20 clanrats take leadership 7 from the general within 12" then have +3 (unit own rank bonus) for a total of leadership 10.

Are you saying that they have only leadership 8? Their leadership 5 (if I remember correctly) plus 3 rank for a total of leadership 8? (or 7 if they don't have any rank bonus and use the general leadership instead ?)

you're right, you can use the leadership of inspiring presence to be added onto. I haven't looked in the skaven codex for awhile since my shop has been completely devoid of fantasy players so I've picked up 40k.

I got it confused with strength in numbers adding into the inspiring presence's leadership bonus.

My bad.

badfox7

Black Knight
I have been told that death sniping characters and things like aura of dark majesty to mess with ld to make them break easier. I have never really done well against skaven.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
A block or two of CHs works particularly nicely against skaven. Template spells are usually good at dealing with them too.

I would imagine banshees, TGs and scabscrath shrieks and screams would be effective against masses of low leadership units.