• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Please give the article a thumbs up if you find it useful!

Long time ago I was experimenting a lot with getting just the right combination for painting patina / verdigris on my models - and that was before Nihilakh Oxide was a thing. Eventually I got the thing right, wrote down the recipe and used it successfully on Krell. Today I was doing it one more time and decided to make a proper tutorial of it, with pictures, replacing the old version posted in my plog. I will reuse many written parts of the previous tutorial.

Stars of this session are King Zlyschko the Wight King and Nagash wink.gif

And before I start, let's clear this thing - I use old paints so if it's unavailable - use THIS CONVERSION CHART

First - I mixed paints you see below, with TinBitz:Gunmetal ratio being about 2,5:1 or maybe 2:1 - i don't really know - but the effect was as pictured:

ph8XNa6.png
Not too watery consistency - single coat was thick to paint it all and watery enough to make it thin. Effects below:

qvCwLAr.jpg

Next I made some turquoise - I don't really have turquoise paint so I mixed it - as you see below. DarkAngels+RegalBlue was 1:1 and GoblinGreen+EnchantedBlue was 1:1 - with a bit of white added to second one to get the colour pictured:

k7gV3U9.png
This time I tried to make it kinda watery - I don't know how much I added, but the final consistency was kinda like milk - it needs to flow but also be able to stay in some place when needed. I added some Vallejo Glaze Medium to both mixes to make it flow and dry better - and I don't really know how it'll turn out without it, but it should be fine - now it's not time to be completely clean wink.gif I was putting both colours on the minis, light on larger surfaces and edges and dark in the creases - both of them mixing while still wet. Before drying:

xj9ktaH.jpg

Mostly after drying:

AGv37wJ.jpg

When this dried I painted them once again - this time with light turquoise only and putting it rather on raised surfaces and edges - and being untidy and quick with it - it doesn't need to be neat and clean. Wight King and Nagash after this phase:

aki5h59.jpg

When this dried I tried stippling it with white paint - with this brush:

Aj22SQT.jpg

So I generally used some drybrush, drying the brush almost completely and then - rather than brushing - I poked the mini vertically with this brush. It leaves little, untidy points which makes it look quite weathered smile.gif

FEJEF2x.jpg

At this point it looks rather acceptable, especially if you stipple the things a little tidier and dryer (I knew the next phases will cover it up and profit from messiness). Patina Overload.

Next I took Tin Bitz [pictured earlier] and stiplled the mini with this - only this time the brush wasn't completely dry. It was leaving large spots and the brush 'hits' was leaving a rough texture on the mini, as well as colour. I left creases and dents in armor, and most was TinBitzed - roughly and unitidy. At this point you can add some gold details that will make some parts pop out after the last phase. Nagash's crown after adding Tin Bitz and Vallejo Old Gold [I tried it for the first time - Vallejo metal paints are beyond awesome]

ESw6rNG.jpg

After this I stiplled it again - using white and really dry, the same as earlier. This left on the mini a mix of points in turquoise, tin bitz and white - with turquoise in the creases, tinbitz on raised surfaces and edges and white dots as little accents. The difference is subtle, so I didn't make a photo.

And finally - I used the light turquoise paint and watered it down much more - it need's to be more flowy - it should leave most of the painted surface uncovered. And using this, I washed whole armor parts completely. And this was the point when stippling turned out to be a great discovery! You see, all this stippling left a rough texture on the mini - and wash rather than just flowing into the creases, was also leaving it's mark on the surfaces, making clots and spots - all of them quite random and very weathered. And this is how the minis on the top picture came out to be. I was surprised and very pleased with the result smile.gif
Final result on the Wight King and Nagash's crown:

aZFDf7d.jpg

And Nagash's armor:

SqwF9Lb.jpg

Even though the method is convoluted and one can use the new technical paint, one can get a really rough and weathered texture using this method. I like it very much and at this point it could be very well my trademark wink.gif

I hope someone will find it useful and/or inspiring smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, this is one of my favourite guides. It looks awesome and I always hoped one day to do a full army with this style - hopefully the new Soulblight Gravelords will be the ideal chance!

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
I can confirm this tutorial works really well with the new colours!

Speaking of which....

Old = New
  1. Tin Bitz = Warplock Bronze
  2. Boltgun Gunmetal = Leadbelcher
  3. Dark Angels Green = Caliban Green
  4. Regal Blue = Kantor Blue
  5. Goblin Green = Warboss Green
  6. Enchanted Blue = Caledor Sky
  7. Skull White = White Scar

However, the mixing for the turqoise can be skipped entirely now, as GW has a technical paint specifically for this: Nilakh Oxide, which is what I used on my Avatar of Khaine (but the method was the same as the tutorial above) here:
WuzmDpl.jpg

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
This great article was selected to be shared on our Facebook partner groups, and @Gederas, I used your picture as a fantastic representation of someone following this tutorial. Great work again 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu