• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Awesome creepy spirit hosts.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hi all,

Just been browsing the web and I came across this guys mean paint job on the new spirits. Take a look here:

http://bloodybeast.com/2014/10/spirit-hosts/

This guy has created a beautifully spooky appearance so that the spirits are giving off an unnatural light by reversing layers, it seems. I'm wandering how everyone would achieve this appearance?

I think I'd layer up from...

White > nihilakh or bahharoth blue > Lothern blue > altdorf blue > incubi darkness then maybe even a bit of black.

Let me know how you'd score this appearance and drop this guy a comment, his work is the bomb!

M

EDIT: Lothern blue, not loggers blue (Damn phone auto correct).

Last edited:

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Love em! Very cool work. Just spent an hour looking through all their work :tongue:

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
That is one sexy model and I love how its been ddone to give a darker feel.
Honestly though i don't know how they have done it so I may need to try and recreate it myself so as to get a good feel.
Finally it seesm i have a use for Necron Abyss.

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
Id reckon you can follow most tutorial for painting fire, just swapping yellow/reds for blues in a multitude of hues.

Think of the model as blue fire and it might make sense

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
I love the theory you've suggested here @Melle

There's a cool tutorial with images for painting fire on taleofpainters.

I'll be doing a cairn wraith in these colours within the next 4 or 5 weeks and will post some pics and painting steps when I finish it.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Like other have said, these are painted just like you would do fire, white in the deepest parts, and darker on the outside. Only you use a blue color for that.

I did pretty much the exact same color for my magical flame on my Hierotitan (picture). All you need to use is white, hawk turquoise, and black. Mix the turquoise with white and black for however many layers you want, pretty simple :)

They look great. Seeing them I also thought, that one could use Wood Elf Dryads as spirit host. Paint them ghostly and clump them together on monster bases, and they would make great spirit hosts.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Wow they are awesome xD that bloody beast has some pretty awesome models especially the pumpkin crypt horrors it's also where I got the idea for my palanquin of Nurgle

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Damn, again I missed something great. But early enough to get the scheme for the ME banshees. Thanks for posting!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
This March I finally got around to doing a spirit host and have recently completed the other two:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwx1.sinaimg.cn%2Fmw690%2F006UXiSwly1fiftb7z1lrj31040n2k52.jpg&hash=2a3b8fe66ea742b6fc999a4c67f2f121

If anyone's still interested in replicating this scheme you can find a tutorial for them right HERE in my PLOG. @Eyeless

Eyeless

Wight King
@Farmer7574 Amazing spirits! Unfortunately i have already settled with a theme for mine and i won't repaint them anytime soon :tongue: however i'll still have a look at your tutorial and thanks for the tag. Great work man.