• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Time to review the crazed Necrarchs.

Same as before, changes only permitted by change to 8th edition or valid feedback.

Necrarch Stat Changes

-2WS
-1I
May not wear mundane armour
Cannot take mundane weapon options with the exception of an additional HW ( I can see daggers).
+1 to casting roll

Powers

Bloodline of W'soran - 100pts
So ancient is the vampire its teacher might have been the dread lord W'soran himself. Manipulating the flow of magic comes as naturally to the vampire as breathing does to a living human.
Whilst the vampire is still in play all enemy wizards suffer a -1 modifier to casting spells, this can be combined with other negative modifiers such as Balefire. The vampire also ignores miscasts and does not have to roll on the miscast table - however the spell still fails as normal. In addition the vampire adds 6" to all his spells when checking if in range.

- One per army
- Vampire is level 4 wizard. He may choose to purchase an additional level as per the army list entry, in which case he will count as a level 5, giving him +5 to cast / dispel and 5 spells.
- The vampire may choose his spells (in addition to IoN) from the Lore of Vampires and/or one other Lore from the main rulebook with the exception of Life.
- Anytime this Vampire rolls a miscast, roll a D6, on a 4+ the negative affects of the miscast are ignored although the spell is still caste with IF.
- Any time the vampire loses focus it will be ignored on a d6 roll of 4+
- This Vampire successfully channels PD/DD on a roll of 4+
- This Vampire can not take or be affected by any items/powers/abilities which modify its casting/dispel rolls, casting/dispel levels, miscasts, IFs, or his/her channelling ability

Master of the Black Arts - 50pts
As per the VC AB

Complete Focus - 40pts
Ignoring those around him, the vampire opens his mind to the winds of Shyish, controlling them with unparalleled skill
A vampire with this power treats all spells in the Lore of Vampire as if they were Necromancy spells, and as such may be recast.
All necromancy spells cast by this vampire are cast at +6" range.It also enables the vampire to cast a RiP spell and continue casting without negating the RiP spell. The vampire may cast an additional RiP and run both together, however they may not cast any more spells until one of the RiP spells is stopped. This ability only works if the vampire is not in combat and has not moved in his previous movement phase.

Forbidden Lore - 35pts
As per the VC AB

Dark Acolyte - 30pts
As per the VC AB

Experimentation - 30pts
The Necrarch has experimented on his own troops, producing potent is sometimes unexpected results.
At the start of the battle pick one core unit and roll 1D6, then consult the following table. The results only affect troops, not any characters in the unit.

1 - Failure! - The experiment has gone wrong. The unit suffers from stupidity for the duration of the battle.
2/3 - Vigour - The unit does not need a vampire within 6" to march for the duration of the battle.
4/5 - Disdain - The unit gains the hatred rule for the duration of the battle.
6 - Amazing Success! - The unit becomes subject to Frenzy which is can never lose,hatred for the duration of the battle, and may march move as per the BRB. The experiment is a little too perfect and the unit cannot capture table quarters as it will disintegrate as soon as the battle is over.

Warrior Familiar - 30pts
This diminutive warrior darts around his master, stopping those who would dare hurt its creator
The Necrarch does not class as being a character for issuing or accepting challenges. Any models wishing to allocate their attacks against the Necrarch in CC must roll a 4+ on 1D6. If they fail the roll they may select another target as normal.

Spirit Link - 20pts
Jealously do the Necrach's horde their power, even from those of their own line.
A vampire with this power may use PD from any friendly vampire on the board. However for every PD used from another vampire, the "donor" vampire takes a S2 hit, no armour save of any kind allowed.

Spirit Link - 15pts
With monumental effort this vampire focuses his will, forcing his spirit into another to steal arcane knowledge. However this knowledge fades fast and must be used instantly before it is lost.
A vampire with this power may decide to use it at any point during his magic phase. Choose any other wizard (friend or foe) within 18” If the target is an enemy model, then both players roll D6 and add the magic levels of their wizard in question. If the vampire player rolls equal or over to the opposing players' roll he may immediately cast one spell from that wizard’s repertoire (the enemy player must reveal all available spells if applicable). If the vampire players' roll is less than the opposing players', the vampire is subject to the same rules as if he had lost focus. If the target is a friendly model of lesser magic level then the power works automatically. This power cannot be used against a friendly model of equal or higher magic level. Any spells cast with via this power may not be used to create models unless those models are Undead. This power may be used once per friendly magic phase.

Optional Army List

Characters
Same as VC except all heroes can ride an Abyssal Terror, paying the same points as a lord would. See new Abyssal Terror upgrades.

Core
Skeletons
1+ Zombies
Corpse Carts (doesn't count towards core)
0-1 Experiments
~See New Units entry for details.

Special
Ghouls
Dire Wolves
Fell Bats
Grave Guard
Wraiths
Spirit Hosts

Rare
0-1 Varghulf (Experimentation)
Black Knights
Unridden Zombie Dragon or Abyssal Terror
~ Do not count as hero choices, no need for monster reaction tests. Cost same as Lord mount. See new Abyssal Terror upgrades.

New Units
Experiments - 35pts
Unit Size: 5+
At the start of the game after deployment roll using the below table for the units stats. The roll is for the whole unit excluding characters:

M - D3+3
WS - D3+1
BS - 0
S - D3+3
T - D3+2
W - D3
I - D6 -1 (if 1 or less rolled suffers from stupidity for the battle)
A- D3
Ld - D3+4

Once the stats have been rolled, roll another D6 for the unit's special rule:
1 - Pickled Skin - has the flammable special rule
2 - Explosive - When an Experiment is killed, every model in base contact takes an immediate Strength 2 hit.
3 - Tough Hide - has 4+ armour save
4 - Relentless Blows - Has ASF
5 - Unstoppable - Has regeneration
6 - Assimilation -For every enemy model that was killed by an Experiment with a 6 on the To Wound roll, another Experiment may be added to the unit. This model may not fight in the Close Combat it was raised in and has the same stat line and Special Rule.

The Experiment unit also has the Undead special rule.

Abyssal Terror Upgrades
The line of W'soran like to experiment with all their undead creations. Their favoured creatures however, are always the monsters they create by melding parts of other creatures together. Be it Wyvren, Dragon, Manticore or other hellish creature, the sum of the parts can prove to be much deadlier.

You may choose to increase the statistics of one Abyssal Terror in your army. If this is a mount, it must be the mount of the general.

+1 S: 25pts per increase. Can only be taken a maximum of twice.
+1 WS: 5pts per increase upto max WS6. Each increase over the first doubles the points costs, so +2WS will be 10pts, +3WS, 20pts and so forth
+1 T: 35pts per increase can only be taken once
+1 A: 15pts per increase, Can be taken a maximum of three times.
+1 W: 50pts, max total 7 wounds.
+1 I: 5pts. Each increase over the first doubles the points costs, so +2I will be 10pts, +3I, 20pts and so forth

Special Rule Options
Scaly Skin / Tough Hide: +1 to the creatures armour save upto a max of 2+ armour save. 5pts per increase, each increase over the first doubles the points costs, so +2 to save will be 10pts, +3 to save will be 20pts and so forth.
Devastating Charge - Causes D6+1 impact hits in the charge: 35pts basic, add an additional 10pts for each strength upgrade.
Guardian - All ranged shots must be allocated against the AT. Any attacks in close combat must be randomised as per shooting, the rider cannot be specifically targeted. 50pts

[mod]Initial Playtesting Review[/mod]​

The below comments are a roundup of previous made comments. If a power or item is not noted below, it is either not been commented on, or it received positive comments. I have only noted the things which have been noted that need changing, or players have asked questions.

• Experiments – Performed well, but only down to good rolls. No complaints about OP, but worries about what could happen if poor rolls were made?
  • +1 to cast combined with other possible bonuses from Master Powers and Skull Staff was possibly OP. Suggestion to reduce casting roll required by -1, as it would make dispelling a little easier?
  • No sure if Experimentation power would be effective on cores other than Experiments. No playtesting results to confirm though.
  • Bloodline of W’soran is not very good / fits the fluff. It’s -1 to cast combined with Balefire Carts can shut down enemies magic, the caster is only a level 3 wizard which doesn’t make sense, player also felt ignoring miscasts completely was too much. Like the +6” to range though. Recommends rethinking this power entirely.
  • Wraiths as special can be abused.
  • Upgrades on AT could be OP, but not definite.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Ok, so looking at things I think:

Bloodline of W'soran - Yes could do with a rethink. Looking at the feedback and the other high powers this one is bit meh. How about instead of lots of little powers we simply say the vampire is classed as a level 5 caster, and as such may roll for 5 spells, and gains +5 (+6 with Necrach power) to cast, +5 to dispel. However his vanity etc does not allow him to use any items which gain increasing the casting bonus? I would also suggest he can ignore the first failed spell and can continue to cast

Experimentation - Not sure on this one. The concept its good, I am just not sure how much use it is?

Spirit Link - Needs a total rethink. Anyone any ideas?

Montesque

Ghoul
Nov 17, 2010
Great state of Texas
Hmm...this one's a bit trickier than the last.

Bloodline of W'Soran: I don't know that the "failed spell" thing will really be that much of a problem with a +5 to cast. At least not in most lores, unless you roll really abysmally. I might recommend instead something along the lines of "once per game, the necrarch may choose to ignore 1 miscast, and simply have the spell function with Irresistable Force" I like the other two parts as is.

Experiments: Possibly we could make a table out of the Abyssal terror upgrades and have the player roll on that. I mean, personally, I'd much rather have zombies with +1 S or T than with Hatred. Possibly replace +1 I with the Vigor rule. Essentially, something like this:
1 - +1 WS
2 - +2 WS
3 - Vigour
4 - +1 A
5 - +1 T
6 - +1 S
If we go with the above chart, I would say that it shouldn't be applicable at all to Experiments, as they already have their own possible set of upgrades, and double laying the experimation should...I dunno, make them explode or something?

The only thing that springs to mind on Spirit Link would be something that would ease channeling. I.e., "for every Necrarch in the army, add +1 to the channeling rolls made for Power and Dispel Dice, to a maximum of +2 (so that a 4+ is enough for channeling) This rule cannot be used to go over the maximum PD of 12."

This one looks like it should be interesting!

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well.. let's start with the 2 obvious problems.

I'd suggest the following for Bloodline of W'soran. Magic is much more powerful in 8th then it was in 7th. This would create a powerful caster, without being stupid powerful (*cough* Teclis *cough*)

- One per army
- Vampire gains +2 ML and may choose the appropriate number of spells from the Lore of Vampires (can combine with Vampire ability of +1 ML to grant a total of ML5)
- Anytime this Vampire rolls a miscast or loses focus it will be ignored on a d6 roll of 4+
- This Vampire has a minimum to cast number of 2 (instead of the usual 3)
- This Vampire can not take or be affected by any items/powers/abilities which modify its casting/dispel rolls, casting/dispel levels, miscasts, IFs, or his/her channelling ability

(did I miss anything in the restrictions list? :D )

Spirit Link - needs to go... Replace with the following:

Initiate of the Dark Arts - 25 pts
Wording as per MotBA, but only generates +1 PD.

Experiments and AT upgrades should be reviewed.. but I'll have to look that over later.

I agree that Wraiths as Special could be abusive. It should have a restriction of some kind... I don't wanna even consider 1,250 points of Wraiths in a list... ooops! Too late.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I like the some of the ideas there Bishop, but I some of it doesn’t make sense. For example:

- Vampire gains +2 ML and may choose the appropriate number of spells from the Lore of Vampires (can combine with Vampire ability of +1 ML to grant a total of ML5)

How is this possible? The 100pts uses up the full power allowance, so there is no chance of him taking the additional vampire ability. I suggest a revision to the following:

- One per army
- Vampire is ML4 and knows 5 spells in addition to IoN. He may choose to roll for these spells from any Lore excluding life, so for example he may choose to roll for two spells from Fire, and three from Heaven.
- Gains an additional 6” range to all spells.
- Anytime this Vampire rolls a miscast or loses focus it will be ignored on a d6 roll of 4+

I think the reducing the min cast to 2 is a bad idea, as combined with the ability to ignore failed spells on 4+ it would make one spamtastic vampire.

As for Spirit Link / Initiate of the Dark Arts – I don’t like the idea of another PD generation power. With the PD cap and the MotBA I don’t think it is needed. I think the ability to ignore failed spells is much more useful such as:

A vampire with this power who loses focus will ignore it on a result of 6 on a roll of D6 + the vampires ML.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I was speaking of the Vampire's "ability" to purchase +1ML (from the army listing, not from Dark Acolyte) :tongue:

The reason I was going for "choose" spells from the Lore of Vampires was to allow duplicate spells, since they are not "randomly" generated. However, I do like the idea of using other Lores better. I think it should be limited to Lore of Vampires and any ONE other Lore excluding Life.

Yeah, min cast of 2 might be a bit much... with the other abilities.

I think that the +6" Range could be a bit much. I'd be inclined to drop that ability from the high end power. On a normal caster, it might be okay.

If you wanted to replace Spirit Link with a power that adds +6" range that'd be okay, though might need to restrict it slightly. The spells that have a range of one unit within X" and the augment version of ALL units within X" might get broken!

Initiate of the Dark Arts. Personally, I never take MotBA twice, because it's too many points to use on a Thrall. I thought that adding in a usable option for a Thrall would be a good idea. Guess we'll see what the others think... if any others get in here :D

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Right, so reading from the above:

- One per army
- Vampire is level 4 wizard. He may choose to purchase an additional level as per the army list entry, in which case he will count as a level 5, giving him +5 to cast / dispel and 5 spells.
- The vampire may choose his spells (in addition to IoN) from the Lore of Vampires and/or one other Lore from the main rulebook with the exception of Life.

I think that looks pretty good for 100pts.

For Spirit Link – I have thought of something entirely different:

With monumental effort this vampire focuses his will, forcing his spirit into another to steal arcane knowledge. However this knowledge fades fast and must be used instantly before it is lost
A vampire with this power may decide to take a leadership test at any point during his magic phase. If passed the player may choose any other wizard (friendly or foe) within 18” that the vampire can draw line of sight to. The vampire can must then cast one spell from that wizard’s repertoire (the enemy player must reveal all available spells if applicable). If the leadership test is failed the vampire is subject to the same rules as if he had lost focus.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Disciple of Nagash said:
Right, so reading from the above:

- One per army

I think that looks pretty good for 100pts.

:thumbsup:
For Spirit Link – I have thought of something entirely different:

With monumental effort this vampire focuses his will, forcing his spirit into another to steal arcane knowledge. However this knowledge fades fast and must be used instantly before it is lost
A vampire with this power may decide to take a leadership test at any point during his magic phase. If passed the player may choose any other wizard (friendly or foe) within 18” that the vampire can draw line of sight to. The vampire can must then cast one spell from that wizard’s repertoire (the enemy player must reveal all available spells if applicable). If the leadership test is failed the vampire is subject to the same rules as if he had lost focus.

Hmmm. It's an interesting idea. I'd be more inclined to see some kind of opposed test, or modification based on the models Leadership scores. It's should be easier for a Vampire Lord to use this on a human hero-lvl caster then a Thrall using it on say Teclis!.

Montesque

Ghoul
Nov 17, 2010
Great state of Texas
Just for clarification, with the proposed change to W'Soran regarding miscasts being discounted, would that include the IF portion of the miscast, or would it make it dispellable normally if the miscast is negated?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'd say that the IF still goes off... with a 50% chance of ignoring the miscast portion. It is a 100 pts. And there are FAR worse things out there.

Caleb Astar

Zombie
Jan 30, 2011
Like the Spirit Link idea.

Bloodline of W'soran is damn powerful (+6 to casting max). Just one thing: As I read this power, does it mean that a vampire with this power can choose two spells in the lore of vampires, then a buff in Light, a blast in Fire and the 6th spell in Death? :zombie:

If I get wrong, it's a really good power, but I can understand it, cause their stat line is worse than other vampires' one for the same price. If I'm right, it's way too crazy.

Lvl 5 in magic is a bit strange too: are the necrarchs good enough in magic to have one more level than the most powerfull elves/slanns/sorcerer of tzeentch (god of magic after all)? I would have said that lvl 5 in magic could not exist, but it seems that there is such a character in the new TK book, so I suppose it's not that strange xD

It just makes the badassery level of the game raising up.

For this two reasons, I'd better say something like:

- One per army
- Vampire is level 3 wizard. He may choose to purchase an additional level as per the army list entry, in which case he will count as a level 4, giving him +4 to cast / dispel.
- The vampire knows all spells from the Lore of Vampires and one other Lore from the main rulebook with the exception of Life.

We have a lvl 4 vampire (without the "I'm such a badass that I've a level that is not in the rulebook" effect) which got the Mannfred's power, which is pretty good. It's really a new playstyle, instead of piling up numeric effects.

Just a suggestion though, the current power seems good (if I'm wrong about his effects).

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The Vampire would be restricted to the Lore of Vampire and any other ONE lore (excluding Life). So, he would have at most spells from TWO different lores.

I'd be okay with level 4, if the caster gained the normal bloodline +1 to cast/dispel that would be fine giving him the +5. The Necrachs are suppose to be the most magically powerful of the bloodlines. So, there should be a way to make them "better" then any of the other Vampire Bloodlines.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Well it seems with Arkhan, level 5 is indeed an option out there. So I think a level 5 works. I still think the followings (amended wording for miscasts):

- One per army
- Anytime this Vampire rolls a miscast, roll a D6, on a 4+ the negative affects of the miscast are ignored although the spell is still caste with IF.

As for Bishop's suggestion on Spirit Link, I do agree that the wizards level should affect it, so here is a revised version:

A vampire with this power may decide to use it at any point during his magic phase. Choose any other wizard (friendly or foe) within 18” that the vampire can draw line of sight to. Both players roll D3 and add the magical levels of their wizard in question. If the vampire rolls equal or over to the enemy wizards roll he must then cast one spell from that wizard’s repertoire (the enemy player must reveal all available spells if applicable). If the vampires roll is less than the enemy wizards, the vampire is subject to the same rules as if he had lost focus.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
How many point are we "targetting" for the Spirit Link power? I'd say change it to a d6 to give enough variation that a Lord could fail to use it on a level 1 caster then we could keep it at the lower end of the power spectrum.

As it stands right now, a level 4 will always be able to use this on a hero level caster.. without fail. You are only getting one spell... but it's one additional spell of your choice.

Third Eye of Tzeentch (the only similar thing I can think of) is 25 pts. It always works, but you gain ALL of the targets spells and lose all of your own for that entire phase.

I'd say if we use the d3 version, then it should probably be around 25 pts.

If you wanted to try out the d6 version, I'd try testing it out at say 15 pts.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I say we go for the 15pts version then, a low pointed option which they don't yet have. So, the final version:

Spirit Link - 15pts
A vampire with this power may decide to use it at any point during his magic phase. Choose any other wizard (friendly or foe) within 18” that the vampire can draw line of sight to. Both players roll D6 and add the magical levels of their wizard in question. If the vampire rolls equal or over to the enemy wizards roll he must then cast one spell from that wizard’s repertoire (the enemy player must reveal all available spells if applicable). If the vampires roll is less than the enemy wizards, the vampire is subject to the same rules as if he had lost focus. This power may be used once per friendly magic phase.

Are you happy with the Bloodline of W'soran?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I am... just one small change, below.... Not sure how many others are checking these threads lately. Interest seems to be waning.

- One per army
- Vampire is level 4 wizard (the Necrach +1 ML bonus is already included) He may choose to purchase an additional level as per the army list entry, in which case he will count as a level 5, giving him +5 to cast / dispel and 5 spells.

I'd make a small change Spirit Link so that it works automatically if used on a friendly model of lesser magic level. I also think that the LoS restriction should be removed, otherwise it will be rarely used on a friendly model. Also cleaned up some wording I didn't like :D See revised suggestion below.

Spirit Link - 15pts
With monumental effort this vampire focuses his will, forcing his spirit into another to steal arcane knowledge. However this knowledge fades fast and must be used instantly before it is lost.
A vampire with this power may decide to use it at any point during his magic phase. Choose any other wizard (friend or foe) within 18” that the vampire can draw line of sight to. If the target is an enemy model, then both players roll D6 and add the magic levels of their wizard in question. If the vampire player rolls equal or over to the enemy wizards opposing players' roll he must may immediately cast one spell from that wizard’s repertoire (the enemy player must reveal all available spells if applicable). If the vampire players' roll is less than the enemy wizards opposing players', the vampire is subject to the same rules as if he had lost focus. If the target is a friendly model of lesser magic level then the power works automatically. This power cannot be used against a friendly model of equal or higher magic level. Any spells cast with via this power may not be used to create models unless those models are Undead. This power may be used once per friendly magic phase.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I am not sure by what you mean here:

- Vampire is level 4 wizard (the Necrach +1 ML bonus is already included)

What Necrarch +1ML? Assuming you mean Magic Level, they don't get that as innate, and they can't purchase any more powers?

I'm happy with the Spirit Link re-wording if you want to update the first post.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Disciple of Nagash said:
I am not sure by what you mean here:

- Vampire is level 4 wizard (the Necrach +1 ML bonus is already included)

What Necrarch +1ML? Assuming you mean Magic Level, they don't get that as innate, and they can't purchase any more powers?

My bad.. I read +1 to cast as +1 ML.

just ignore that then :D

I'll update this tonight at home.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Great, then we carry on with the army list as well. Sad that we seem to be the only two in here. Still if we can finish these off come the WFO I know for one I will look forward to testing them xd

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, it'd be nice for more interest.

There was a lot of interest in some of the other bloodlines. I guess this one is not as popular as I thought.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If there's not up by the time I get home, then I'll put that on the list...

Announcement has been posted... hopefully that brings some traffic.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Changes ammended to the first post.

The only other "power" that we might still wanna look at, is the Experimentation power. Any changes wanted/needed?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Okay, well ... I guess that no one else is paying attention :D

I suggest the follow change for Complete Focus:

Ignoring those around him, the vampire opens his mind to the winds of Shyish, controlling them with unparalleled skill.
A vampire with this power treats all spells in the Lore of Vampire as if they were Necromancy spells, and as such may be recast.
It also enables the vampire to cast a RiP spell and continue casting without negating the RiP spell. The vampire may cast an additional RiP and run both together, however they may not cast any more spells until one of the RiP spells is stopped. This ability only works if the vampire is not in combat and has not moved did not march in his previous movement phase.

This change would allow the caster to move minimally.

Also, we do need to look at Experiments. Do we even want to keep experiments? I know that most other things like this have been removed from the game.

Perhaps slot in the +6" range power in it's place?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu