• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Banat's Barrow - updated 7th may

Banat

Varghulf
So, now I'm actually making reasonable progress painting my hordes of models I figured it's about time I started a plog. It should also serve to further boost my willpower in slogging it through the models I still have yet to paint.

After having spent lots (too much) money on building my forces up, now I have the long arduous journey of painting them. Still haven't quite got everything I want, but then I don't think we ever have, THERE'S ALWAYS MORE TO WANT!

So yesterday I finished painting up my Dire Wolves. Last week I finished 20 zombies and the first things I got painted were the Crypt Horrors.

This is the first mini that I truly consider painted to a tabletop standard, with my mature adult understanding of painting and how washes etc work. The last things I painted were Spacewolves when I was 15-16, blue, drybrush grey was about the extent of it. This is Barry and his little friend up on top is Cecil.

Apologies for my amateur photography, hopefully I'll improve as I take more images, but this current batch are a bit flash-lit. Getting Cecil's rotting corpse done with the washes really gave me the confidence boost I needed that actually I could be a decent painter. Cheers Cecil.

Close up of some of the zombies from the first cohort to get finished. Really pleased how these turned out. You can't quite see it with the flash, but I've gone for a patchwork quilt look with blotches of purple, crimson, blue and green washes. I've got a fairly terrifying picture taken looking down the ranks of the unit with their dead eyes staring out... makes the GW zombies look much less cartoony, will try and get that up when I can.

A final one for now of my painted forces so far. The bases on the Dire Wolves and Crypt Horrors still need doing but I'm planning on leaving basing everything till much later when I've got more done, to help give the army some coherency.

Currently working on a second unit of 20 zombies (19... one's gone walkies... if there's a zombie outbreak near you, we know who to blame).

The next units to get done after that will be either
10 Black Knights
6 Vargheists
5 Hexwraiths
3 Spirit Hosts.

Might do the Hexes and spirits next because they won't be too difficult to bash out quickly, mostly white with purple washes.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Nice start and I like the name of your plog :thumbsup: If the flash is an issue try photos using natural light, I.e. daylight...hssssss blasphemy :vampire3:

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
If you find that the light is too sharp, try to dampen it down a bit for the photos. Even sheets of paper work well or you could create your own light-box. The biggest error I see around is that people take bad photos of their minis so the lighting doesn't too credit to the paintwork. Long exposure time and no flash ever are good tips to begin with.

Banat

Varghulf
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1289.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb513%2Fdwfm%2F20140914_235949_zpseed25474.jpg&hash=10a72f79395004639292e07d9b5c8ad4

The first of my new zombie fillers. I though it only appropriate Vlad himself should be present given his namesake. This single base too most of the evening but now I've done it once, I should be able to replicate the effects more swiftly with each attempt. Got another 5 to go! Have had the idea for a while and really been looking forward to doing them but only just reached an appropriate point where I actually could execute them.

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
That is a very cool filler idea! I might just borrow that when/if a zombie filler is needed!

Looking good so far.! Can't wait to see the ethereal scheme sounds killer!

Banat

Varghulf
Onto the third base atm. It looks more and more grim the more bases that get set beside each other.

Banat

Varghulf
So begins the repaint. Firstly i only had about 500pts painted and the ethereals ended up in this horrible lime green colour. Was a rush job to get as much as possible in for armies on parade.

So I've been getting into my airbrushing and will be attempting a moonlit effect.

Will be spraying black (will experiment with incubi darkness) then zenith highlighting with white, details, then varnishing and drakenhoff nightshade over the top (coelia over the incubi).This should allow me to blast out large units pretty quickly. Am really excited to see how this turns out. Will be doing some test models this evening up at the store so should have some photos on the results later tonight.

If anybody has any more tips then they're greatly appreciated. I did see the moonlit tutorial over on cmon but it was way too detailed as one of my priorities is to be able to blast these out quickly.

Over and out... for now!