• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

banshee

Tal Rasha

Grave Guard
No, oddly enough it's not magical (even though her melee attacks are...). And yes, it's totally worth it. I've taken out a whole unit of chosen knights and pegasus knights with it, not to mention war machine crew.

Tal Rasha

Grave Guard
Disciple of Nagash said:
Based on the wording, I would agree that the Banshee Scream would not be affected be the Doom and Darkness spell as the Scream is not a Leadership Test, but a leadership based attack.
It's a LD test, so it works. You can also use your general's LD to defend against it. Check out the TK FAQ - the Casket of Souls works the same way, and they consider it a LD test.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
No, they do not consider it a test in the FAQ, or anywhere else. Being able to use the general's Leadership has nothing to do with whether it's a test. Nowhere is the Banshee's scream (Or Casket's attack) described as being a leadership test, so it is only a leadership-based attack. Unfortunately.

N1AK

Vampire Count
True Blood
I think EvC is right regarding the Scream. Although it works similiarily to a LD test there is nothing in the rules saying it is. I think a good comparison is the Slaanesh magic spells that work by causing LD tests, and specifically call them LD tests.
If the Banshee's Scream was "Target must take Leadership Test at -2LD, and suffers a number of wounds equal to how much they fail by with no armour saves allowed" then it would of course be a LD test.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Tests are taken by the owner of the models; the banshee owner rolls the dice in this case. Banshee screams are definitely an attack.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Yep. I argued long and hard in the past that the banshee scream was a test of some sort, but I had to acknowledge that it was only an attack eventually.

Tal Rasha

Grave Guard
I'm sorry, I hate to argue this, but you're wrong. Here's a quote from the TK Faq:

"Q. Can you use the general’s Ld (if in 12" range) when
determining the number of wounds from the Casket?
A. Yes. For all purposes, a unit’s Ld is equal to the
general’s if he’s in 12" range."

This would obviously apply to banshees as well. It doesn't matter whether the scream is an attack, a special form of LD test, or whatever. They get to use the general's LD.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
We're not disputing that. We're saying it's an attack rather than a leadership based test; thus, Doom and Darkness does not apply. That is the only point of contention.

Leadership based test and leadership based attack are different; for Doom and Darkness (possibly others I'm not aware of.

They definitely can use the Generals leadership when 'defending' from the banshees attack.

They're not wrong at all! They've agreed all along that you can use general's leadership. But stop letting it confuse into thinking it's a "leadership test" just because it uses a leadership value. Like they said, it's an attack based off of the opponents leadership, and has nothing to do with psychology or panic or break tests or anything... it just kills low leadership stuff better