• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Banshees

Mr Saturday

Vampire Count
True Blood
like on the first turn of the game declearing that you infantry is charging a warplightning canon techincly it has to flee although they are the entire board away
Exactly. A certain amount of sportsmanship and common sense is expected when you play this game to get the full enjoyment out of it.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Declaring a charge you know to be out of range is explicitly cheating however (As is using a permissions-only special character without checking with your opponent first). Using Shadowblade to impersonate a Banshee is nasty, but then his best use is impersonating an Anvil of Doom crew member and killing the Runelord...

EvC said:
Dark Templar said:
However it states that shadowblade replaces a 'rank and file" model in a infantry unit. A banshee is not rank and file and is not part of a infantry unit.
We've already established that a Banshee is an infantry unit (If she's not, then she can't enter buildings. And oh yes she can!!!). It seems that you've invented the part about 'rank and file' - those speech marks mean you're quoting something, yet those words never appear in Shadowblade's rules. Where did you get them from?
'Rank and file' does not appear in Shadowblade's rules, but the following does (go and look at Danceman's post at the end of page 1 of this thread and click on the link to the uk version of the rules if you don't believe me):-

"remove one ordinary unit member (not a Command model or Character)"

So EVC, what would you call an 'ordinary unit member' then? If you quizzed ten people on what an ordinary unit member, that is not a command model or character, was, I'm pretty sure the majority of them would say it was 'rank and file'. o.o The only thing established is that the opponent was an abuser of the rules, if not an outright cheat.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
No need to say "if you don't believe me", I was only replying because I'd already read the link from danceman's post and the quoted phrase was not there! In a unit of one model, which is neither a command model nor a character, a Banshee would absolutely qualify as an ordinary unit member, unfortunately.

Thanks, so it seems to be legal but dodgy.

As far as I know, the UK Shadowblade does not need opponent's permission any more than any other Named Character does in 7th edition, unless specifically stated otherwise.

I LIKE the idea of him slaughtering Thorek!

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Ridiculous. I'd just say no, if anyone wanted to field Shadowblade just to pull something like that.

I asked a mate today that plays Dark Elves about this and what his opinion was. He thought it was a crock. Firstly that the guy fielded Shadowblade without asking permission to do so, and secondly that Shadowblade could replace a Banshee like that.

Arch, tell your opponent to try that sort of thing in a tournament. I love a good lynching :D

Sad news, according to our local Dwarfs, Thorek is a Special Character, and so part of him cannot be replaced by Shadowblade, but there's still the Cauldron of Blood or a normal Anvil.

Raziel

Crypt Horror
Come 7th, he won't be able to pull that one anymore, as banshees are champions in wraith units. I personally would find it amusing if he tried pulling something like that then, shadowblade caught in a unit he can't hurt, but can tear him apart, nice and fun. And shadowblade isn't official, so he can't be used without your say-so