• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Basing, basing, basing

At the moment I have 125 models painted but I haven't done any basing yet. Truly I think that basing improves the look of models even with moderate painting skills.

I have been thinking of how to do the basing on my models having in mind my color theme and the colors I am using in general. To be honest I was looking on GW basing products and I am not satisfied with the variety of the ground styles offered (sand, rocks, etc) still the grasses are nice such as scorched grass, dead grass and burnt grass. The GW sand is so thin and I would like to have more options for a more "rocky" terrain.

How would you base my models?

LINK

I would like to read your suggestions about how to do it, and which materials would you use?

Thanks in advance

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
I dont know about sand materials but colour wise I would go for dark grey almost black painted sand highlighted with lighter grey, then maybe a tiny bit of the scorched grass. Definatley no green , I think that would jar with the nice purple theme of your army.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
With models that bright you'll want a neutral-dark tonr for your bases so they don't overpower the models, & given that your ghouls are purple you could get a very dramatic effect from using yellow ochre shades.

For texture, sand is the best thing, but GW's sand bags are a flat out waste of money. You can find sand for free in many places but if you really want to spend money you can buy bird sand from pet shops. A 1kg bag will cover an entire army with some left over.

Glue it on with PVA then when it's dried mix more PVA with black paint & water, apply that over the top of the sand, which will seal the sand so it won't fall off, and the black means you don't have to paint over it to fill in all the sand-coloured gaps. Then apply a heavy drybrush of a dark colour, for your models I'd recommend Charadon Granite, then drybrush again with Tausept Ochre (speculation, as I don't own that one) & finally with a bit of Fortress Grey.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
My most common way of basing sounds like what you want.

Two places I would reccomend you check out for basing supplies...

http://www.skullcrafts.com/store.htm
Skullcrafts has a couple awesome static grasses, and leaf scatter. (I come from WY and I don't have birch trees near by to make leaf scatter myself.)

http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=36
Gforce 9 carries a wealth of basing supplies too. I reccomend using the Basing Grit: Rocky.

Here is how I base things.
I tend to paint the base scorched brown. It's a natural color that won't detract from most painting styles. (Wait until the paint is dry to base. LOL)

I lay down a layer of PVC glue on the base. Then I sprinkle Basing Grit: Rocky over the pvc glue. I then use the citadel sand over top that. Let it dry. When it's dry I do a few spots of pvc glue placed randomly. I sprinkle Scorched Grass over it and let it dry. After that I might use some of the skullcrafts winter leaves placed strategically. Then spray it with a sealer. Et voila! LOL

Thanks for all the opinions :D

Skullcraft products are great and Gale force provides a nice variety too. I have found also LINK
which has also enough products to choose from.

One idea I had is to use cinders ballast (mixed fine & medium) drybrushed with fortress grey

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg155.imageshack.us%2Fimg155%2F1514%2Fbalcf1.jpg&hash=aed436c88a8b6e4a7fb795a59a3b0b89

and add here and there a mix of burnt and dead grass from GW

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg199.imageshack.us%2Fimg199%2F5229%2Fm340142a99229999105burn.jpg&hash=6852aad20566007c2e1fb8ad88504d88

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg411.imageshack.us%2Fimg411%2F1932%2Fm340147a99229999106dead.jpg&hash=82efb43c2ac322ee5dd4f5cb04acf84e

or even just the flock autumn of gale

As Ophidicus said I have light colors in my army so a dark basing theme would be great. So I was thinking that maybe I could give the feeling of burnt land in the bases using the above materials.

What do you think?

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I think i'd like to see that...It could be very good looking. I use cinder ballast for several of my other armies. :)

Maybe ballast does not even need drybrush because I see it has natural variations of black and grey by itself.xD That is going to save me some time probably.

I personally would not use the GW grass stuff, as its a major rip-off compared to what other companies offer. ( Which is basicly the exact same stuff, just 50% cheaper and 50% more! )

And the cans in which the GW stuff comes are a pain to open/close.

Dry Grass

Railway modelling stuff works well,. its cheap and you get tonnes. I cant remember the exact brand, but i got mine from hobby craft for £5 and it cam in a big bag, enough for several armies or 1 army and a few bits of scenery.

at least thats what I used for mine. GW grass isnt great and is way too expensive.
most hobby stores have a good selection.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I use sand, not the finest stuff, mixed in with gravel, paint it Brown and dry brush with lighter brown. Then I use static grass and on some bases I add some snow by first painting the base white where I want the flock and then adding it in layers to get a good coverage. The snow flock is from Gale Force nine (I think its called) the static grass is from GW.

Something like this:

or this:

Hope it helps. :)