• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

BattleStandard Bearer Equipment

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Hi,

I've flipped through the VC and main rulebooks looking for what equipment a BSB can use or can't use. I don't see anything at all indicating what equipment they can/can't take. What page(s) is this found? I know you can't take a GW with a BSB but where does it say this (or is it implied that you 'hold' the Battle Standard, even though you can have a standard bearer with a great weapon....)

Thanks,
Grish

On page 63, in the VC book, there is some rules about BSB:s. It says that the BSB "cannot chose any extra weapons, nor can be use a shield"

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oh thanks. was looking in a different section. Perfect. "Extra weapons" does not include magic weapons does it? Eg. a lance is a one handed weapon but I know you can't take it, it's an extra weapon. Sword of Might is a magic weapon; does it follow the same rule and can you take it? What about the Black Axe of Krell? I'm assuming not as 'no shield' means he needs his/her shield arm.

Thanks!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
You can take any magical weapon with your BSB, just not extra mundane equipment. You could give him the Black Axe or the Asp Bow to a Lahmian or a magic lance to a Bretonnian BSB etc... not exactly consistent I know.

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
I had thought that you could not take any two handed weapon as one of the restrictions (the logic being that you need one hand forthe standard), but can't find the reference. I may be thinking of a previous edition.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
That's right. Magic lance but not a normal one. You just can't take any extra equipment upgrades. And the logic being you need a free hand... maybe they're Chinese vampires and have their standards strapped to their backs.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Skaramak von Carstein said:
I had thought that you could not take any two handed weapon as one of the restrictions (the logic being that you need one hand forthe standard), but can't find the reference. I may be thinking of a previous edition.
Indeed, in 6th addition one of the many rules updates said that a BSB always needed a spare hand, but with the advent of 7th edition, this requirement was dropped and no longer applies. What was originally a dubious loophole is now fully legal...

Lots of things in the 7th edition are like that. I mean.. A unit or 100 Black Orcs need to take a panic test if 2 fleeing gobbos run through them. *deep sigh*

At my club we normally use the "logic" rules from 6th edition and mix them with the new rules, particulary the new spell lores. So at my BSB's I just go with one-handers. =)

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Angelica Von Carstein said:
Lots of things in the 7th edition are like that. I mean.. A unit or 100 Black Orcs need to take a panic test if 2 fleeing gobbos run through them. *deep sigh*
I don't think that's true; think you need a US of 5 for one, and I think O&G have a special rule where there's a hierarchy of what can panic what. Snotlings don't panic goblins, gobs don't panic, orcs, orcs don't panic black orcs, etc... But I know what you mean. Rod of flaming death is the same thing. "Oh, my unit of 25 Hammerer's lost a guy. Run for it!"

Anyways, I have long ago given up that Warhammer has any relation to logic or real life with some of these rules. One of the worst is that if you can see a unit, are in their frontal arc, but said unit is already completely engaged to the front (say by another unit of yours), you can't flank charge them. You sit there. Which is silly, and we ignore that rule.