• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Ben's VC painting log

Hi all,

I just made an intro post in the intro section and wanted to start a log of my army here and see what everyone thinks. This first post is really mostly a test to see if I can post pictures properly.

Here's a shot of my banshee. I bought and painted this at a GW store in England while on a business trip there about 10 years ago.

Thanks for looking,

Ben

Love it! Certainly looks ethereal with that color scheme. I'm a huge fan of that mini, one of the first metal models I ever owned.

And I certainly approve of the name of your plog! Us Bens have to stick together, as we're few and far between.

Thanks for the comments! I once posted that picture somewhere else and it didn't get a peep.

Here's a unit of skeletons. I like these better than the current "falling forward" kit that is out. Good thing I have 80 more stocked up to assemble and paint sometime! When I first started I tried to paint skeletons white with black shading. After a while I realized that I didn't much care for the dull gray result. I now paint bone a kind of cream color shaded with brown and black for between the bones and like it a lot better.

And here's a spirit host. I originally painted these a ghostly white but wasn't happy so I stripped them and went with ethereal blue-green instead. I'm considering redoing the hair purple but haven't made up my mind yet. Maybe I'll do 1 and see how I like it since it wouldn't be too hard to change back. I've got a couple more bases of these I need to paint. I've heard a few people say they don't like these models but I always really liked them.

So once again, comments welcome and thanks for looking. More tomorrow, maybe.

Ben

Here's a unit of Wraiths. Can you even field these as a unit now? I'm not sure. But anyway.

Another example of older models that I really like. In fact, when these were available I chased all over trying to find them and no retailer ever had them in stock. Every time I went out of town I'd check in the local game stores without luck. I finally mail-ordered them. For me, a fantasy army should be colorful and cartoony. I know it's not everyone's taste, but that's what I like.

I painted some of them just like the GW examples, and some different, depending on how I liked them. I remember they had one painted red and I never thought it looked good. I'm often torn when I see a paint job I really like as to whether I should go ahead and copy it or try to be original. I end up doing some of both.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I love the crisp clean colors. I myself believe a vampire count army should be dingy and dark, but your creative use of colors is wonderful!

Thanks for the comments! Up next is my Black Coach. This sat around about 80% done for years while I went through a long inactive period. I finally went back and finished it up a few months ago.

More comments welcome...

Ben

This is my zombie unit. I love these old zombie figs with all their character and wish they'd do more like these. I figured zombies are a pretty rag-tag lot, so I painted them with different skin tones and clothes with the hope that the painting style would tie them together as a unit. I've got some more of these on the docket to paint next and finish up and expand the unit.

And here are some of the individual models:

This one (above) is among my favorites of the paint jobs I've done.

Hope everyone enjoys them.

Ben

Very cool work all around! I love your color schemes, and I agree with you about the more characterful older models. Those zombies are amazing. I'm still sad that GW decided not to redo zombies for the new army book.

I feel the same way about the latest skeleton kit as well... the variety of poses you could make with the older one was great. With the new kit I had to keep bending the models upward so they wouldn't all look like they were about to take a nosedive into the dirt. Proportions and details are nice on the newer models, but still.

I like the colors on the skeletons as well. Makes sense that gray bones wouldn't work out well. You certainly seem willing to adjust tactics if something isn't working... do you usually complete a test model before you start on a whole unit? If not it's something to consider. I know that a lot of the time what looks good on one model might not necessarily translate to the whole unit when it's done, but troubleshooting one test model is a lot easier!

Keep up the great work,

Ben

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I'd have to say this one is my personal favorite of your painted zombies.

The black coach looks spectacular! Again, the crisp colors are different from my style, but they translate nicely in your paint style. Thanks for sharing, keep up the great work!

Thanks again for the comments. I will do a test model sometimes, and other times I just wing it for the unit.

That zombie is a fun one too. I was happy with how the guts came out on him.

Here’s a bat swarm. It’s a reaper model that I likea LOT better than the GW ones. It was sad they didn’t come up with something better for those with all the new VC stuff:

The close up photo isn’t particularly flattering on this one, but oh well. I can also use this as a unit filler in a unit of zombies or skeletons if I’m not going to take a bat swarm. I need to get a few more of these models.

More in the next few days…

Ben

sea.man

Grave Guard
remember: "there is no school, like the old school" :D
With such whole army even Nagash will look good ;)

Regards,
sea.man :konrad:

Goggalor

Necromancer
The colours are very clean and the colours work well. I especially like the black coach, it really stands out. The models are old school cool too! nice

Ha, I actually have that old Nagash model. Haven't painted it though. I think I got it in some kind of bulk deal. I didn't think it was so bad at first until I heard others complain, but then I could see why they were complaining.

I was thinking about the old school models and wondering if I was somehow stuck in the past with what figs I like, but then realized there are some older models I really like and some I don't, and some new models I like and some I don't, so I think it's just a question of taste overall. I'm a really slow painter and decided some time ago it wasn't worth it for me to paint figs I don't like. I'm just trying to get into playing actual games now. I'll try to find substitutes for units I want to take on the field but don't like well enough to paint.

Thanks for the comments on the coach. The blue-green on the drapes is one of my favorite colors lately and I'll try to work it into some more stuff.

Here are my black knights:

I think the models are not bad but not great. I was hoping the new ones would be really cool but I actually like them less than these. I do like the hexwraiths, though, and want to get some. I still need to paint the command for the knights.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I agree not bad not great the new ones are ok.

Yours look well painted and another reminder I need to finish mine.

Here are some (once again old) carrion models that I plan to proxy for fell bats. I don't care much for the current piggy-nose fell bats, even though it seems some bats actually do look like that.

After looking at the other threads I think I need a better name for mine...

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Loving the little wraiths on the carrion models, problem is they look far too awesome to be mere fell bats! Loving the general old school feel of the models here, got to agree with you that a fantasy army should be comedic rather than try to be realistic

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
I have the same idea I have alot of the older carrion to as my second unit of fell bats. Good job so so whats on the plate next

On the plate next - some ghouls. They're purple. It could happen!

I have 10 of these and 10 of the new plastic models. I like both even though they're so different. I've painted one of the plastic ones as a test but haven't shot a photo of it yet. I'm going to put the newer ones in front, with the fluff that they have degenerated further and are more feral than the ones standing tall in back. I hope it looks reasonable. I have some models older than these too, similar to the tall ones but more chubby. I don't really care for them and doubt I'll end up painting them. I'd rather get some more of the ones I like.

My ghouls (same models, just fewer of them) were painted the same way for Mordheim. So there you go; it HAS been known to happen, as far back as 2003!

Brahm