• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Best units for taking down Lizardmen Terradons?

Banat

Varghulf
Got a guy I am probably rematching tomorrow and he has a penchant for taking two units of Terradons. So I need something fast and aggressive enough to take them down...

So far I'm thinking either a unit of unit of Chariots... with their decent armour save, decent toughness and impact hits they should be able to take down the scaled birds. Assuming they don't run that is, which they almost certainly will do. I'm hoping the Chariots swiftstride will stand a decent chance of catching up to the Terradons.

Alternatively, 2 units of Skelly Cav. As fast cav they'd have more menueverability...

Opinions? Both will be able to go on to go skink hunting with their superior range/speed.

My immediate thought is hexwraiths. Unless your opponent runs characters with magic weapons in the terradons, he can't strike back. With their fairly low Ld, Terrorgheists are another good option with screaming.

Banat

Varghulf
I haven't settled on a set force that i take every time. hexwraiths sound like a good option at lower points cost. Im looking at an arkhan mortarch summoning dominance list at 2k. Arkhan himself would be good at going after skinks and terradons, easy wound recovery, keeps him out of dangerous combats.

Demian

Vampire Count
Terrorgheists can melt everything in a Lizzardmen army, except for the fact that they are going to be the sole targets of Skinks, which is pretty bad.

Hexwraiths are a good counter, specially against their WS and T and can catch up with them, or at least stand in guard duty if they attempt to flank.

Others you might consider are Vargheists and Morghasts. Vargheists can match their speed upright, but are vulnerable to some return attacks, although not the case of the rest of that army. Morghasts are much more stable, but you'd probably need to camp them first instead of just chasing after them. The good thing is, they have very low Ld, and can easily fail fear tests, even with cold blood.

Magic Missiles will hurt them like hell, due to low T and poor armor. Hell, even Banshees can scream them to death, and you may consider having a hero Banshee just for countering. Also, Mortis Engines's screams.

Last, since I'm still getting acustomed to having our mummy brothers playing alongside, I'd say... fast cav archers? they could do the trick. Or regular skelly archers too. They'd have nowhere to hide!

Terrorgheists can melt everything in a Lizzardmen army, except for the fact that they are going to be the sole targets of Skinks, which is pretty bad...

...The good thing is, they have very low Ld, and can easily fail fear tests, even with cold blood...

...Magic Missiles will hurt them like hell, due to low T and poor armor
Another key point of using a Terrorgheist is that you can fly over and scream without charging to deny that flee reaction.

I believe the Terradon Riders cause fear, so you'll need Terror if you want to force a fear test on them.

Gaze of Nagash will definitely be a go to against these and the Skinks with their low T.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
Hexwraiths and vargheists all the way or feed them a spirit host base if you have one floating around.

I haven't been doing well using the archers lol keep forgetting line of site.
Just make a mental note of checking where each unit needs to be in the movement phase. It's a really good habit to have. Vargheists need to be pointed at what they're going to charge next turn. Bunker needs to be pointed at what his direct damage / magic missiles will hit. Combat units need to be placed where they won't take bad charges.

And archers need to be able to actually see something. Though with TK archers you're really spoiled, as if they can see ANYTHING they just hit on their 5+ for BS2 and undead models are pretty skinny and easy to see through. I ran my archer bunker in behind two massive infantry hordes all the time and I could shoot past them no problem as the bricks are porous as a sieve and super easy to see through. Unlike Bretonnian knights or Empire halberdiers, for instance.

As for terradons, you want to either shoot them or catch them. Archers are good at the first, vargheists at the second. Magic missiles are good too (light councils, gaze, etc.).

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Hexwraiths and vargheists all the way or feed them a spirit host base if you have one floating around.
+1 lack of magical attacks is an issue for Lizzies. Even most of their characters don't tend to be kitted with weapons as they are decent in attack already and probably swinging last no matter what so a GW is pretty common.

Banat

Varghulf
He knows how irritating my hexes can be and has gotten vastly better in his use of tactics (that and figuring out searing doom against my black knights...). Currently in the 2k list I've put together for tomorrow I've got 3 chariots, 3 necroknights and mortarch arkhan, which should be enough to run down his skinks and terradons i think. Especially with arkhan able to summon double points values behind his skinks so if they stand and shoot they die, if they flee they die. I think the hexwraiths would be easy points for his slan.

Terradons are pretty brittle for their points cost. Scream attacks work well, as do any magic missile. Vargheists should be able to handle a group of Terradons of approximately the same size but they won't emerge unscathed. Fell Bats are a just a speed bump, but most VC non-chaff units should be able to handle Terradons in close combat with a minimum of fuss.

If he takes Ripperdactlyls, target those instead. They are about as brittle as Terradons but they hit much harder (meaning taking them down at range is extra important). Rippers have Frenzy and relatively poor Ld so they aren't too hard to pull out of position with dire wolves or some other distracting chaff.

If you see a Skink Chief riding a Terradon or Ripper, that should be a priority target with ranged attacks. Most flying Skink characters are equipped as grenade characters, given one use magic items (Egg of Quango or Potion of Strength) to let them have one potent CC round and then die gracelessly. Flying characters are your top priority to kill with ranged attacks. Fortunately, Skink Chiefs aren't too tough. A lot of them have the Charmed Shield, but while it's great against cannonballs and the like, it does very little against most VC attacks.

Demian

Vampire Count
The problem with them is they can fly, and can't be redirected as easily (they can just charge/move above your redirectors).
Also.. don't Ripperdactyls have killing blow? D:

Cheap solution: Flyers of your own, with a Banshee/Mortis Engine to support
Costly solution: Terrorgheists, but you have to take care of them, sweeping the Skinks first by deploying wide on the table and moving the army at the same pace, denying them free movement between your Units OR get your Terrorgheist(s) behind your army line, in guard duty, just looking menacing at anything that would dare come close to your tarpits, removing flankers as they attempt to outmaneouver you. Hexwraiths can do this as well, although not as effectively as a 28'' range attack with guaranteed wounds.

HERO

Wight King
Cheap Ethereal is the best way. Sure, they can drop and kill some stuff, but you run a Ghost they can't touch down their throat and they get extremely sad.