• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Zanthor

Ghoul
Jun 22, 2010
So, I've got 3 of these beauties modeled up with glowing LED eyes, and some of my best conversion and painting work. What would be the best use for them? Are the just flat out bad anymore? One has a lance BTW. Anyone come up with cool combos with the new items or magic lores?

Wiggins

Ghoul
Jun 23, 2010
Pros.
They can now join units of knights, or gain a lookout sir by being within 3" of a unit of knights.

Cons.
The knights they hang out with are now more likely to take casualties, so need spell support to keep them tough enough to keep fighting.

So, why not get the Lore of Beasts or Lore of Metal on him, and power up some Black Knights to accompany him.

Of the new magic items, I really like combining +2 or +3 attacks with Red Fury, especially as this can be increased a further 3 attacks with Lore of Beasts.

Then get rerolls to hit from a Vanhels or a Corpse Cart or a Hatred banner. Wow. Whole enemy units just... gone.

Strahd

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
I kitted mine out for mostly a mobile caster with lore of death. His main duty was character assassination but he was also there to support his units once they get in combat. My build was:

Vamp lord lv3 MoBA, Forbidden Lore, Summon Ghouls, Crown of the Damned, Obsidian Amulet, Helm of Command on a hellsteed. 4+ ward vs shooting 2+ vs DD spells..... This build worked well for me and he pretty much wiped out all of my opponents characters in 4 turns plus a ton of his troops.

My other reasons for taking him out of units is due to the damage that can happen during a miscast. One bad roll on the chart and the unit he is in can be dusted. I dont think this build is great against every army obviously but it served me well against the less shooty armies.

Zanthor

Ghoul
Jun 22, 2010
Two good ideas. I like the idea of the caster lord supporting the army and being able to get in range to kill enemy characters. I've had 2 games with a suicide Purple Sun vamp and Count Mannfred, and in both cases death magic has let me down due to it's range and the fact that I miscast and lose all my power dice. Part of it is because of the short range and LOS issues, and part of it is just due to horrible luck. Having him more mobile and outside of a unit would be a huge benefit. I'd be a little concerned about cannon fire (a primary opponent is Empire for me) .

The red fury +3 attack vamp is a good combination and one that I'll be taking to Ard Boyz I think. I fit a caster lord and a fighting lord into 3000 points it (at least on paper) it looks pretty effective.

Now, how about trying to fit all 3 into a 2250 list??? :) Somewhere between fluffy and effective.

Strahd

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
Well like I said the vamp lord I built I used in 2250. I had a wight king bsb with the sword of kings and gem of blood as well as support vamp and necro. I had necro there for VDM and support vamp had staff of damnation, which btw I use to never take but has been a nice addition with the new supporting attack rules :vampire3: Necro would take Black periapt and dispell scroll. These character set ups worked well for me. Another good build is vamp with the glittering scales armour, sword of battle( I think thats the one that gives the extra attack) and the potion that gives you devestating charge. He has 5 attacks on the charge with infinite hate, and if he is being "helmed by the vamp lord most things will be hitting him on 5's maybe even 6's. Nice little set up IMO.

Strahd

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmm you are right. Army builder didnt throw up any flags for it though but you are right I dont know what I was thinking. I will have to find a spot for the BP somewhere else :swear:

Strahd

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
Ive only recently started using it on a regular basis but its been pretty accurate thus far. Thats the first time Ive seen it allow a restricted combo. Anyway again, thanks for pointing it out:redface:

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 24, 2008
'Naki, New Zealand
Back on topic - I've had some decent luck with this hero build :
AoD (HW/Shield) IH
CotD, and SoM

He sticks relatively close to the lord or BSB until there's a war machine/solo caster lurking about, then gallumphs off to take them out.

He also does well against shooty skirmishers.

After a tactical wheel, he's usually lined up pretty well to go from one war machine to the next, depending on deployment

GhoulKing505

Grave Guard
Mar 21, 2011
I've often used this:

Dread Knight
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Blood Drinker
Trickster's Helm
Dragon Bane Gem

Stick that in a unit with the Drakenof Banner and you have a near invincible general who can dish out some major damage.

Uthiliano

Black Knight
Mar 10, 2009
Aarhus
@Ghoulking505: Decent combo but dont you think the points in Trickster's helm would be better spend on a wardsave? - It's just that you have a high armor save and then adding reroll to wound kinda "counters" the same thing... i.e. vs low strength hits (where your helm would be really effective) should be taken by your armor whilst anything str7+ is dangerous for both the reroll and armor...

Coyote

Black Knight
Aug 8, 2009
Uthiliano said:
@Ghoulking505: Decent combo but dont you think the points in Trickster's helm would be better spend on a wardsave? - It's just that you have a high armor save and then adding reroll to wound kinda "counters" the same thing... i.e. vs low strength hits (where your helm would be really effective) should be taken by your armor whilst anything str7+ is dangerous for both the reroll and armor...

Normally, your advice would be sound. Except that GhoulKing also recommended the Hasselhoff banner. Since WS no longer stacks with Regen, it's an all or nothing choice. And many lists now include Other Trickster's Shard specifically for those nasty WSs.

In spite of the threat of OTS (above), I'd recommend considering Fodderboy's cheaper variant, add the WS for when he goes solo, and sub GhoulKing's Hasselhoff banner for Blood Keep. Blood Keep has equal effect on shooting, works in spite of flaming attacks, and saves 75pts. Not that we don't love The 'Hoff. But he's old and not what he used to be... :O

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu