• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

best way to take out archaon?

Any opinions on this...... I was thinking a menagerie. Terrorgheists and zombie dragons. .... maybe a couple of zombie hordes.... ?

I have encountered the new Archaon too, so I have a few ideas.
Terrorgeists and zombo dragons (ridden, preferably) are not bad. My vampire lord dragonrider survived for 4 close combat rounds against Archy while dealing a good number of wounds in return.
Do not ever let you 1-wound infantry be anywhere near Archy, he eats them with his Nurgle head and heals a lot. So, zombies are a terrible choice.
I find that softening him from range before charging helps. Death has little quality shooting, however. Screaming Skull catapults and bow ushebti can rend a bit, at least, so you can try them. Bonus points for bringing along a necrotect for buffs.
Banshee and t-gheist screams are effective, but short-ranged, so if you use them, you should charge the same turn. Zombo dragon breath can add to your firepower, too, especially the flesh-eaters variant (rend -3!).
Finally, spirit hosts buffed by mystic shield can ve a problem for Archy, with their unrendable save and ability to deal mortal wounds in melee.

Last edited:
I was thinking spirit hosts but it has an ability were the player gets to pick a number on hit rolls... eg 6 and they have to be rerolled..

Demian

Vampire Count
True Blood
The Eye of Sheeran is not a reliable effect, because it requires him to roll a dice and depending on the result then those successful To-Hit results must be re-rolled.

I'd Say Catapult + Summoneable Terrorgheist (3d6 scream) can do the most damage to him.

Anoyther thing to try is Neferata + Cursed Book + Mournghul on him and well, everything else. Our Queen can execute him with enough luck should he drop below a D6 wounds, and negating most of his Hits is the way to avoid his insta-kill with his sword.

Mournghul alone + Shield, really.

Necrosphynx with Righteous Smiting / Blood Feast / Who Dares Disturb my Slumber / And He did say War and the World Trembled. One well placed Decapitating Strike and Archaon is done for.

EDIT: Red Fury Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon!! or Tomb King on Royal Sphynx

I'd suggest Morghast Archai-- They have 3 attacks with -2 rend and each wound that gets through inflicts 3 damage. They have a 4+ save, with Mystic Shield becomes 3+. Put a buff on them for an extra attack or extra pile-in and attack.

Wight Kings with Black Axes can also be effective character killers. They dish multiple wounds per attack, their armor halves wounds suffered, and if they wound a model and it doesn't die, roll a dice: If the result is higher than the number of remaining wounds, the model is slain. Only useful when it's down below 6 wounds, so Archaon will need some softening up first, but a couple Wight Kings can certainly finish him off.

I'd suggest Morghast Archai-- They have 3 attacks with -2 rend and each wound that gets through inflicts 3 damage. They have a 4+ save, with Mystic Shield becomes 3+. Put a buff on them for an extra attack or extra pile-in and attack.

Wight Kings with Black Axes can also be effective character killers. They dish multiple wounds per attack, their armor halves wounds suffered, and if they wound a model and it doesn't die, roll a dice: If the result is higher than the number of remaining wounds, the model is slain. Only useful when it's down below 6 wounds, so Archaon will need some softening up first, but a couple Wight Kings can certainly finish him off.
I'm sure that Morghasts can't be buffed by Vanhels, they are not deathrattle/deadwalkers/mordants.

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
Anoyther thing to try is Neferata + Cursed Book + Mournghul on him and well, everything else. Our Queen can execute him with enough luck should he drop below a D6 wounds, and negating most of his Hits is the way to avoid his insta-kill with his sword.
Neferata can't equip artefacts because she is a named hero.