• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Hermes Conrad

Zombie
Jan 1, 2008
Hello everyone this is my first post:grin:!

Anyways last night in my gaming group it was dwarfs vs WE, I sat out and watched the game. Before the game started the WE player told him to check his list for multiple runes, turns out he did double up. This is where it got ugly... He had thorek ironbow(who i REALLY HATE) bugman, and a runesmith. He had the same master rune of gromil on his rune and thorek, so he put a master rune of stone on him insted.. ok fine no biggie... but it got real bad when it came to bugman and thorek both having rune of fury.

His main argument was that since Thorek and Bugman were should be allowed to double up on the runes since they "as is", and that multiples of those should be allowed since he can't change them. He even threw a stink cuz the king has rune of stone, and that there was someone else with that or the fact that if he took him he couldn't give that rune to say a thane... (This tantrum went on for just under two hours... I'm sure you've all seen that guy who just has to have it his way when a rule is called out on him..)

So was the WE player right in saying that rules are rules no double runes or was the Dwarf player correct in saying that he should be able to have those special characters out there with some of the same runes? (He called the GW store and said that in a tournament they wouldn't allow it but if it was a for fun game, maybe once in a while.)

the WE player ended up getting 1700+VP to the dwarf's 300VP at the end of the match...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Don't know about the rules for doubling up runes, but how on earth did Thorek not annihilate the Wood Elves? Up to 3 units taking 2D6 S4 hits per turn should kill most the army by turn 3...

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Dwarves can double up runes, that's allowed.

How it works (I believe, don't have the book on me) is that for each piece of dwarf equipment (weapon, armour, etc) you select a combination of runes, and no two dwarf items can have that exact combination. So, if you have a weapon that has Rune of A and Rune of B on it, then no other weapon can have that EXACT combination. They can have another hero with a Rune of A, another with the Rune of B, or have a weapon with the Rune of A, Rune of B, and Rune of C. These are all considered different and therefore legal.

These limitations only apply to dwarf heroes I believe, not characters; going by memory so don't have a page number. Characters are fielded as is and can't have additional equipment or be denied it.

Edit: I should also say there are Master Runes, of which there can only be one per army.

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Dec 23, 2007
Eire
Dwarfs can have up to 3 runes per item, i.e. weapon, armour, talisman, and if a dwarf is being really "smart" he can pick some (not all) runes, and use them three times. I can't remember which few runes you can tripple up on, but you can, unfortunatly, do it

Aeschere

Grave Guard
Jan 5, 2008
Utrecht
As a dwarf player I have to agree with grishnakh99. You can put a rune on as many items as you want just as long as you make unique combinations. So you can put rune of stone on char a and rune of stone and rune of fury on char b. This is clearly stated in the rule book. I have no idea why the dwarven player didn't just picked up the army book and let the WE player see that he was wrong.

This rule indeed applies only to lord and heroes since special characters are fielded as they are. I think this is specified above every special character sheet. The rules about the runes can be found on page 43 of the dwarven army book and is called the "Rule of Pride".

ArchMagosAlchemys

Necromancer
Oct 16, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Master Runes on the Named Characters cannot be duplicated in the rest of the army, just like some Named Characters carry magic items that cannot be duplicated. If you play with Krell and Kemmler, then the CoMaS and Black Axe are already taken.

Aeschere

Grave Guard
Jan 5, 2008
Utrecht
Ah yes, true. Forgot to mention that. Just to clarify all I quote the different rune rules:

"Rules of the Runes
You may inscribe up to three runes on a runic magic item, subject to the following restrictions:

1) No item can have more than three runes. It is virtually impossible to forge items able to bear the strain of carrying so much power. Runesmiths call this the Rule of Three.

2) Weapon runes can only be inscribed on weapons, armour runes can only be inscribed on armour, runic standards can only be inscribed on standards, engineering runes can only be inscribed on war machines, and talismanic runes can only be inscribed on talismans (of which more later). This is called the Rule of Form by Runesmiths.

3) No more than one item may carry the same combination of magic runes. You could not have two rune weapons both engraved with a Rune of Speed and a Rune of Fire, for example. This restriction also applies to the use of single runes, so you could not have two characters in your army wearing armour engraved with a single Rune of Resistance, for example. Creating runic items takes a great deal of effort and Runesmiths don't like repeating themselves. Nor do they copy other Runesmiths' work, except during their apprenticeship . This is know among Runsmiths as the Rule of Pride.

4) No master rune may be used more than once per army, and no more that one master rune can be inscribed on an item. Master runes are so powerful that they cannot be combined together on the same item or used together on the same battlefield. For this reason, Runesmiths describe these runes as Jealous Runes.

5) Apart from the master runes (which can only be used once) other runes can be combined as you wish to produce varied or cumulative effects. For example, you might inscribe a weapon with the Master Rune of Swiftness (always strikes first), the Rune of Striking (+1 weapon skill) and the Rune of Fury (+1 attack). With the exception of master runes, runes can be used in multiples, in which case their effects are added together. For example, you could inscribe a weapon with the Rune of Fury (+1 attack) three times to give you +3 attacks."

I hope this clarifies the whole problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu