• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Black Coach Rules

I played against an opponent the other day whose reading of the black coach levelling rules was quite different that I'd ever thought of, but couldn't see anything against it. Our short discussion hinged on the following two sections of text:

All of the increases listed are cumulative.
Total number of power dice siphoned

He argued that the number of dice from the last round was not mentioned in the rules, and that the total number of dice was just from each individual round. Therefore, you only get the benefit from an individual entry, not all the ones down the chart to the number of dice rolled, and you reset the 'total' after each magic phase and reroll on subsequent turns. However, you might roll the same number of 6s on subsequent turns and those additions would be cumulative. I gave up arguing against him after a minute or so as it seemed to me (playing 8th, not End Times magic) that his interpretation was in my favour and I was happy to move on. By the end of the game my coach had +2 strength and +1 impact hit from once rolling one 6 and twice rolling two 6s, but therefore never gained other abilities.

It didn't occur to me at the time but I guess the key is the word "total." Why would you total one turn? There is clearly an number to be siphoned and that's that. Therefore "total" implies "total during the game."

Does anyone else see it differently? What do you guys think? When I play him again in End Times magic, I don't want to cumulatively be gaining flying several times during the game.

It doesn't say not to count 1's 2 's 3 's 4 's or 5 's as siphoned power dice. So does that mean I can count them?

Not saying the dice from the last turn count doesn't mean it says you lose them. It says rolls of 6 are siphoned and the effects are cumulative, it DOES NOT say to do ANYTHING else regarding that rule.

This is a game about what the rules say you do, not what they don't say you can't do.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
It says total siphoned dice and effects are cumulative. The Black Coach builds up and keeps all of its effects.

@LordTobiothan Yeah that's the thing with double negatives.. I doesn't say you don't instantly get 12 power dice per turn if you have an avatar on this forum named Eternal Salvation either.

I know how everyone plays it but was looking for a clear way to argue against his interpretation. I suppose the "siphoning" term implies the dice are sent to the coach, which strengthens the intention/assumption that the total carries over from round to round.

@LordTobiothan Yeah that's the thing with double negatives.. I doesn't say you don't instantly get 12 power dice per turn if you have an avatar on this forum named Eternal Salvation either.

I know how everyone plays it but was looking for a clear way to argue against his interpretation. I suppose the "siphoning" term implies the dice are sent to the coach, which strengthens the intention/assumption that the total carries over from round to round.
Easy argument for simplicity to your friend: It says to siphon the dice, it doesn't say anything happens to the siphoned dice after that.