• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Black Coach versus Giant

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Greetings one and all!

I am currently having indecision over whether or not I should include the Black Coack or a Zombie Giant in my force. Which is tactically better?

To elaborate, thematically, I am stuck between having the Coach because its a VC only unit whereas the Giant is a DoW. Inversely though, if I include a Giant I can go with the theme of an undead zoo for my Vampire Counts.

Thanks all!

- V

Casting aside my stubborn preference for all things Vampire Counts, the Giant is probably the better choice.

It is more flexible in both tactical useage and as a model in your collection. You can throw the Giant at most things you opponent has (just stay away from poison e.g skinks and ghouls!) and have a reasonable chance of doing damage or at least holding the unit still for reinforcements to tip the balance. As a model, you can use it for your other armies (heresy! ;)) and comes with all sorts of extra goodies.

The coach, on the other hand, requires careful movement and charges. A fluffed turn of combat and the Coach is in trouble of falling apart, while the Giant will more than likely shrugg it off thanks to stubborn.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
The Black Coach requires more effort to be used skilfully. A good rule of thumb is to never use it on its own and expect to win (Although that can be done with a bit of luck), although you shouldn't use the Giant on its own either. Always assume you'll roll a 1 for Impact Hits with the Coach, but things are a bit different with the Giant, who will usually do something useful. Either makes a worthy addition to the army, although I never call them Zombie Giants as they are in fatc Alive! ;)

The Inspector said:
Casting aside my stubborn preference for all things Vampire Counts, the Giant is probably the better choice.

It is more flexible in both tactical useage and as a model in your collection. You can throw the Giant at most things you opponent has (just stay away from poison e.g skinks and ghouls!) and have a reasonable chance of doing damage or at least holding the unit still for reinforcements to tip the balance. As a model, you can use it for your other armies (heresy! ;)) and comes with all sorts of extra goodies.

The coach, on the other hand, requires careful movement and charges. A fluffed turn of combat and the Coach is in trouble of falling apart, while the Giant will more than likely shrugg it off thanks to stubborn.
You can poison a chariot as well...

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Yeah but having a 4+ save followed by 5+ ward save means it's not quite as scary...

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Nikolaj-Knude said:
You can poison a chariot as well...
I just checked up on this rule and I couldn't believe it. A Black Coach with a Wraith on it should be immune to poison. The only things poisonable would be the Nightmards pulling it!

I would go for the Giant too. I think he's pretty balanced in our list. Just zombifie him and you got a near-VC unit. ;)

Bah, everyone does a zombie giant when they want to include one in a VC army.
A Giant Ghoul would be much cooler, and actually more appropriate.

Count Guillaume said:
I just checked up on this rule and I couldn't believe it. A Black Coach with a Wraith on it should be immune to poison. The only things poisonable would be the Nightmards pulling it!
Not really, remember the way the BrB looks at poison vs undead is that it is holy water, that sort of thing.

As for me apart from seeing EvC totally own a game with his black coach, I would plump for the giant every time. Gives you a 12" marching terror causing creature that does not need to be any where near your general and can survive a cannonball (or other S7 hit).
But the Coach is a damm fine model though (have i said that a few times before? :mrgreen:)

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
The Inspector said:
Bah, everyone does a zombie giant when they want to include one in a VC army.
A Giant Ghoul would be much cooler, and actually more appropriate.
Heh, exactly what I use my Giant to represent, the big belly fits in with my older Ghoul models quite nicely as well :D

My personal preference is to never use DoW in my VC army, because I cannot justify any place for it in VC background. Regarding the use of BC, I find it too vulnerable to cannonballs while being very expensive, so I learned the hard way to stop using it after 6th edition came into being.

I think there's more chance for conversion with the Black Coach, but in game terms, the Giant would probably work out better.