• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

blender lord vs 5 morghast.

Let assume we play roughly 2000-2500 pst games. Let assume that these are about same prised (rf qb 2str sword 4/+4++ 1 lvl). with morghasts you can have 2 lvl 4 magicians. with blender you could have 1 or make your vamp to lvl4. They have different role but still bit similar (killing stuff)

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Note that if you include those 2 level 4s along with your morghasts, then you're no longer looking at equivalent points. Assuming an End Times format, overall points limits, and not points limit per unit category, are the primary concern. The only category which keeps a tight points limit is rare, which is a problem with morghasts, assuming you're talking about archai.

In general, I'd say the blender is more favorable, though it will require deliver. Assuming a decent delivery option, it's faster, less targetable, and I would expect should deliver more reliable damage.

I am no expert, though, and the morghasts do look pretty amazing.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
8th edition with 50% Lords and 50% heroes is a far cry from hero-hammer. I lived through the 5th edition. We had characters with stats and special rules that single handedly hit, killed and broke whole units on their own.

Now days, with steadfast, step up, hordes and supporting attacks, regiments are far more durable and able to easily keep the characters in check. Plus, those extra character points come from somewhere and you still need 25%+ in core. So, you lose Special and Rare units to get them. That's a huge tradeoff!

End Times is not Hero-hammer.

Oh, and we played Warhammer in the snow, uphill, both ways too!

Demian

Vampire Count
Our characters suffered from two things back in 25% Lords 8th edition:

- Too costly for using their full potential, being excellent warriors and lvl 4 wizards at the same time (plus they needed to use Lore of the Vampires mandatory, although it is not a bad lore, now that I'm accustomed to it!)
- If they died, because of such a silly thing as a miscast, then the whole army suffered gradually until we lost.

With 50% Lords, and Nagash, we can "abuse" their prime advantages now, and there is no reason we should not take a blendy lord along with it being a lvl 4 wizard, but that's just me. I like it that it's much cheaper than including an extra lvl 4 necromancer that can't be near the fight, specially speaking of lore of Unedath, where it's max range is 12''.

Anyways, since in 8th ed you can't field an army without a lvl 4 caster, you can play VC anyway you like now!

- The classic Fighter lord with his faithfull casty wizard as separate characters!
- The Lord + Heroes as support (necromancers, wight kings, tomb princes, necrotects, etc) with a killer Rare/Special fighty Unit or two.
- The Vampire Way (lvl 4 blendy with a delivery bus) with chaff, attrition and possibly now, summoning!

Note that you may go all-out offensive magic now, with Vampire Lords using Master of the Black Arts and Forbidden Lore + Black Periapt, to wreack havoc with any spell lore you want (save Life). Since we have archers now to cover our ranged weakness, and may now use our fast flanking units while baiting the trap from the far of the table, just casting/shooting at stuff without moving forward to engage, and having reliable tarpits (which other armies don't have). Plus the Hierotitan. Never field a casty army without a Hierotitan and a Casket.

In my experience, I like playing the Vampire Way, since this is not Empire, or Elves. I vote for BlenderLord with magical awesomeness!

Well even so we are still using 25% lords and heroes and that's fine by me. Next question, do we need vampirelore anymore at all? I know it depend how you build rest army, but generally, is it better to rely other lores now when we can? Is undead lore worth taking lvl 4 or is lvl 2 enough?

I know, shadow synergies very well with heavy shooting, as nehekhara (that doubleshoot could change a lot) and after all we have access to lightlore easily now.

I also love to try beasts + nehekhara + lots of skeletons str + t 4 skellies with ws 5-6 sound pretty good for core, possibility with killing blows.

How much magic is just insanely too much? and yep I will add that hierotitan for helping my casters.

It's just we have so many viablesounding options that I don't know where to start :D

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
From my experience with the new rules, lore of undeath is not all that unless ran on Nagash our Arkhan. Lore of vampires is still the strongest option with its power, versatility, lore attribute and tools like raise dead, curse of years and gaze of Nagash. Then the option to easily take shadow lore is amazing. You can easily field a fully loaded shadow army now with blenders, powerful shadow magic, smoke and mirror tricks with ethereal heroes and skeleton spear hordes with mindrazor. Terrifying!

After that, I'd actually put nehekharan, death and light lore over undeath if being totally honest. Undeath is overhyped except in the right circumstances or using it as a alternative raise dead with no commitment to vampire lore.

As for magic, I think level 4, level 2 and a level 1 or 2 plus black periapt and heirotitan is reasonable for string magic.

Alastor

Black Knight
I agree with Najo, LoV still seems the best option, followed by shadow then death. Undeath doesn't seem worth it without Nagash or Arkhan.