• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Bloodline Special Characters

This first post will be updated with the designed character rules as and when we agree them - DoN
[hr]

Lahmian

Mistress Lesa - ???pts - Lord

M 6 / WS 5 / BS 5 / S 5 (6) / T 5 / W 3 / I10 / A 4 (5) / Ld 10

Equipment
The Master Sword

The Master Sword
Created many years ago at the founding of colleges of magic this was a gift to the colleges from a master dwarf runesmith, the first of its kind it combined the abilities of all the lesser swords. However not long after it was stolen and its creator slain, the secret of its creation lost with him
Hand Weapon. The Master Sword combines the abilties of the Sword of Might, Striking and Battle. The gives Lesa +1S. +1A (both noted in her profile) and +1 to hit on combat.

Magic
Lesa is a level 4 wizard and knows 7 spells. One of the spells is always IoN. The remaining 6 spells can be chosen in the following ways:
- She may choose to know the full lore of Vampires or any lore from the BRB with the exception of Life.
- She may roll for her spells. In this case she can choose to roll on different Lores for each spell if she so chooses, and can substitute any rolled spell for the first spell of the lore it was rolled on. An duplicated spells must be rolled again.

Bloodline Powers
Divine Beauty
Midnight Dancer
Aura of Dark Majesty
Innocence Lost

Requarah

[hr]

Blood Dragon

The Red Duke - ???pts - Lord Level

M 6 / WS 9 / BS 5 / S 5(6) / T 5 / W 3 / I 7 / A 5 / Ld 10

Equipment
Master Forged Blade
Master Forged Armour
Shield

Master Forged Blade
Made by the Duke himself, this swords edge will never blunt. With the Duke’s skill it can pierce armour or hide, the perfect balancing allowing him move with surprising speed.
Hand Weapon. The Duke gains +1 to his strength. Note this is not a magical weapon.

Master Forged Armour
As with his sword, the Duke’s armour has been forged by his own hand. Made of gomril, it is immensely resistant, deflecting all but the most powerful of blows.
Full Plate Armour. The Duke may re-roll any failed armour saves. Note this is not magical armour.

Mount
Barded Nightmare

Magic
See the Magical Distaste special rule.

Options
The Duke’s may take a retinue as per the Blood Dragon Optional Army List, he may do this even if the optional list is not being used. In addition his retinue may upgrade their Heavy Armour to Full Plate for +8pts per model. The Duke’s retinue may not be larger than a total of 10 models (inc the Red Duke).

Bloodline Powers
Unliving Legend
Master Strike
Honour or Death
Horse Master
Red Fury

Special Rules

The Bane of Bretonnia
For many years the Red Duke was the terror of Bretonnia, and even today parents still scare their children with his name. Likewise the Duke has never forgotten is defeat at the hands of the Bretonnian knights, and has vowed to destroy all that would oppose him, whether they be man, elf or beast.
The Duke hates all the opposing army, regardless of race. Such is his determination he may reroll to hit in every round of combat, not just the first. The Duke and his retinue may also used the lance formation as per the Bretonnian Army Book. All models in the Bretonnian army also hate the Duke and his retinue.

Magical Distaste
The Duke loathes magic in all its forms, and woe betide any who would use it’s cowardly nature against him, though he cannot deny the necromantic nature of his armies.
The Duke is a level 2 wizard, however he cannot cast any spells of any kind. Instead of generating his PD, he instead generates 2DD in the appropriate magic phase. Any casters in his army can only use the Necromancy Spells.

Hero - ???

[hr]

Necrarch

Lord - Zacharias

Hero - Madame Kalfon

[hr]

Carstein

Lord - Vlad von Carstein

Hero - Konrad von Carstein or Isabella?

[hr]

Strigoi

Lord - Vorag

Hero - ???

[hr]

Necromancer

Lord - Kemmler

Hero - Krell

Here is my take on special characters that fits in the bloodline armies. Each bloodline should get at least one, and maybe even some necromancer characters.

Lahmia
Neferata 690 Pts
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 6 5 5 5 3 10 4 10

Magic: Neferata is a level 4 wizard, she can use spells from the lore of vampires.

Bloodline powers
Divine Beauty
Innocence Lost
Behind the scenes
Midnight Dancer

Magic Items
Dagger of Jet
Inflicts poisoned attacks

Ruby of Lahima
Counts as a crimson gem of Lahmia. In addition it restores one lost wound on the wearer in the beginning of each own magic phase.

Bastet
Neferatas black cat Bastet count as a separate unit from neferata. Bastet looks just like an ordinary black cat and are therefore ignored by all other models, they may pass through it as open terrain and it may not charge or be charged. However all enemy models within 6" of Bastet must reroll all succesfull rolls, to hit, to wound and all succesfull saves, including regeneration. Bastet has a movement value of 6. Bastet is removed if Neferata is slain.

Special rules
Heavenly creature
Enemy models in base contact with Neferata suffers -2 to their Ld instead of the -1 from normal Lahmian vampires.
Vampire
Lahmian

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
I think that Flaming Hand is right in that special character should be included, The Red Duke should be one for certain which I looked at a good while ago now in the Necrach Workshop
Link https://www.vampirecounts.net/showthread.php?tid=4067

I think others should include Heinrich Kemmler and Krell for Necromancers,
The lesser Von Carsteins such as Jerek, Hans, Fritz and Pieter as well as maybe Jon Skellan and Herman Posner from "Vampire Wars"
Zacharias for Nechrach
and what ever famous Strigoi we can think of

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I do agree that perhaps we can should create a special character per Bloodline. The only thing at the moment is that I think we should finish the army lists and the powers / stats first.

If it's alright with you Disciple of Nagash, I'm going to take a crack at writing out the Necromancer army list and some rules for Bloodline-specific special characters.

If we shall not master vampires as special characters. can anyone come up with another lahmian character in place of Neferata?

Here is some ideas for the other bloodlines.

Blood dragons
Walach of the blood keep.
The Red Duke

Necrarch
Melkhior
Zacharias

Strigoi
Vorag

Von Carstein
Vlad
Mannfred
Konrad
(If it shall be versions of these characters using the new bloodline powers)
+ some other famous von carsteins

Necromancers
Heinrich Kemmler
Krell

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
No comments on that?

Anyway, considering we have not just about reached the end of the Optional Army List creation, it is now time to have a look at SC.

Personally I think we should limit it to 1 / 2 at max per bloodline. The question is should be create the masters which I imagine would be quite fun, or "lesser" characters?

I've read all of TVC without actually participating so I'm not the best person to comment, but I think Lesa would make a very fun character to see on the field of battle.

I think maybe a lord and a hero for each bloodline? Vorag the Ghoul King has always appealed to me, I'm even thinking of making a model of him to use as a stand-in Varghulf/ghoul unit filler based on a OK Gorger.

I think Lesa is fine as a lahmian special character. One lord and one hero per bloodline you say. Fine for me:mrgreen:

So what do we got, heres my suggestions

Lahmia
Lord
Lesa

Hero
?

Blood dragon
Lord
Walach or the Red Duke

Hero
?

Strigoi
Vorag (Lord or hero?)

Von Carstein
Way to many, need to choose one.

Necrarch
Lord
Melkhior or Zacharias

Hero
Madame Kalfon?

Necromancers
Lord
Heinrich Kemmler

Hero
Krell

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
I shall build on Flaming Hands post, if thats all right with him.
For the Blood Dragon Lord, it has to be the Red Duke. He's immense.

For the Von Carsteins, I would say leave it as it is in the VC book, thats plenty of options.

For the Strigoi:
Lord should be Vorag
Hero could be Gashnag maybe?

For Necrarch, I think Zacharias would be the better option. At least we know he's 'alive'.

For the rest, im in the same boat as Flaming Hand, either I agree or I don't know.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Marcus Von Drac said:
For the Blood Dragon Lord, it has to be the Red Duke. He's immense.
I'd prefere to see Walach as the lord, as i don't think the leader of the blood keep could be a Hero, but then I don't think the red duke should be a hero either and i would like to see both of them in the list.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Considering that TVC is not GW canon I think it would be hard for non CN members to access, but its a great idea anyway. If we're considering it, I'd love to throw Vekarin out there as a Special Character, although he is not the most orthodox Blood Dragon out there...
P.S. I have playtested rules. xD

If we are delving into the realm of TVC, however, Requarah would be an excellent hero-choice Lahmian.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Yeah, we are only delving into other areas as there isn't much info on Lahmian characters.

Unless we come up with an alternative, I would agree on Requarah as the hero level character.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
I have to disagree with the use of Lesa here. The characters included should exemplify the traits of their bloodline, but Lesa is more a Necrarch than anything else.

I have no objections to Requarah though.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Lesa may be magically strong, but she has family traits of being beautiful, using others to further her own means, etc. Mannfred is magically strong but he is still a Carstein special character.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Here are some stats I threw together for Requarah. She'd be somewhere around 200-250 points.

M – WS – BS – S – T – W – I – A – Ld
6……..5…….5…..5….4…..2….8...3+1…7

Equipment:
Ring of Regeneration (Regeneration/5+ Ward Save, I can’t decide)
Hand Weapon and Pistol

Vampiric Powers
Behind the Scenes
Seduction

Magic
Requarah is a Level 2 Wizard and knows Invocation of Nehek in addition to two spells from the Lore of Vampires

Requarah doesn't have a lot going for her besides Lvl. 2 Magic (but that can be achieved by adding 30 points to any normal Vampire). I couldn't decide between the Regeneration rule for the Ring of Regeneration (which seems a little too powerful) or that 5+ Ward Save, which seems a little more realistic in terms of power but is comparably mundane. Any thoughts?

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
The thing is, Lesa is a spellcaster on par with V'azrin, a Necrarch. So she has the strengths of both bloodlines, which means she doesn't fit one mould completely and hence doesn't really belong as one of the special characters placed in here. You don't see Necrarchs challenging enemies to honorable combat, nor do you see Strigoi with lances in hand riding down the enemy upon barded steeds. You shouldn't have a Lahmian that is the wizard equivalent of a WMD, and that's exactly what Lesa is.

Personally I think that the Lahmian lord-level character should be a lvl3 wizard.

I have no objections to Requarah though.

PS: Don't get me wrong, I'm not objecting to Lesa being the way she is in TVC.