• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
The far north, near northrend
Well here it is, my glorious entry to Golden Bat.

I thought I would get my arse out of the wagon and make my blood knights so I decided to join the GB with a Blood Knight Kastellan! He is made from Chaos knights and some other bitz, but mostly Chaos Knights bitz... ;)

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1133.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1137.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1138.jpg

Im still trying to figure out what else to do with him... I'm not really sure about this so far. But I had to cut his swords and his horse to get rid of those ridiculous chaos stuff. :)

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
That's always been my issue with Chaos bits. They're sooo......Chaos-y. They definitely need to be trimmed down a bit. :)

but I'm quite interested to see what you're going to do with this guy.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Some of the older wight's look very chaos like but are styled so it fits the undead theme too. So some choas symbles would work out, dependingon the preferance of the player. Remember we are raising the dead, so the dead warriors wouldnt worry about having a chaos mark on them. But on the other hand it is a holy sign of course so they might deface it. But that is my take on it, but they are looking great so far boo. No where is the story for them chaos knights of blood. (Former Khorne worshipers perhaps)

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
Onikaigo said:
That's always been my issue with Chaos bits. They're sooo......Chaos-y. They definitely need to be trimmed down a bit. :)

but I'm quite interested to see what you're going to do with this guy.

Yes... indeed. I do want to keep some of the spiky bitz... Argh. This one is more work than I thought. And I still have not decided how I will paint him. Hm...

Santawraith said:
Some of the older wight's look very chaos like but are styled so it fits the undead theme too. So some choas symbles would work out, dependingon the preferance of the player. Remember we are raising the dead, so the dead warriors wouldnt worry about having a chaos mark on them.
Yes they sure do... hm... I think I will have to re-think this one a bit now.

Santawraith said:
But on the other hand it is a holy sign of course so they might deface it. But that is my take on it, but they are looking great so far boo. No where is the story for them chaos knights of blood. (Former Khorne worshipers perhaps)

True that. :) Thanks guys. But I don't think that I will fluff them as being ex-khorne guys, I think I have to attack him with the clippers and hobbyknife again... :tongue:

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Colchester
I can actually see how this will work, good start mate, will be see what else you have planned for it :)

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2010
Plymouth
I really like the look of this guy and dont forget a large amount of what is going to make him a Blood knight is the way you paint him. A few bat/skull symbols in place of the chaos ones you have removed and I think its there.
I think what you may need to address though is the the top half is not very spikey
and menacing at all compared to the rest.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing what comes next :thumbsup:

Maelstrom

Skeleton
Sep 12, 2009
Wolverhampton
This guy is looking awesome so far dude, i need to get back to working on my own version of this conversion. the chaos stuff on the horse barding especially is a bitch to remove isn't it :(

I like how you are using an empire knights head too, i might have to pinch that idea :D

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
Nikostratus said:
I really like the look of this guy and dont forget a large amount of what is going to make him a Blood knight is the way you paint him. A few bat/skull symbols in place of the chaos ones you have removed and I think its there.

Thanks. :) Yes, I agree with you. I have removed some of the more redicoulus spikes and stuff, I'll post a pic further down.

Nikostratus said:
I think what you may need to address though is the the top half is not very spikey and menacing at all compared to the rest.

Yes I know, but that is intentional, I don't want him to look too spikey. I've checked out different kinds of coversions of blood knights and most have not been that spiky. I quite like the look of the rider right now. But the problem is the horse... ;)

Maelstrom said:
This guy is looking awesome so far dude, i need to get back to working on my own version of this conversion. the chaos stuff on the horse barding especially is a bitch to remove isn't it :(

It sure is... I'm still working on the horse... :tongue:

Maelstrom said:
I like how you are using an empire knights head too, i might have to pinch that idea :D

Go ahead! (pun not intended ;) )

Well update here: I've worked some more on the horse. The rider I'm quite satisfied with. Anyway, I've removed some spikes and hooks and chains and I think that it looks much better than before. The only thing I'm not sure about now is the head of the horse. Should I remove the spikes or keep them... I can't decide... ;)

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1142.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1144.jpg

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
I would personally remove them due to trying to get ride of the chaos feel of the mount. The spikes make it look very chaos still to me.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
Cheers guys. I'll attack the poor thing with my knife and clippers again. Also I'm changing the rider. I found an awesome head in an old bit box... ;) So some changes has been made, I'm going to start painting him tomorrow. :)

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
So I've been at it again. Just finished priming and prepping my Kastellan for painting. I clipped off the horns on the horse, It does look much better. I kept the spikes on the knees of the horse because.. I like them :)

Here it is as it stands now:

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1145.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1146.jpg

New head, Angry looking fellow no?
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1147.jpg

Cheers and an internet cookie for whoever can guess what head it is.

Maelstrom

Skeleton
Sep 12, 2009
Wolverhampton
hes looking good dude, now hurry up and paint him up :tongue: what shield are you going to be using on him?

and as for the cookie, my guess is the bare head from the khorne berserker sprue :)

ChaosJedi666

Black Knight
Feb 9, 2010
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Ooh, I have just got some Bret Knights to use (hehe, I'll have to get around to converting them a bit, but will post up some pics sometime xD ), but might have to get me some Chaos guys now...Can't see too much as its fairly black (hehe), but I think it looks like one from an Empire kit. Looks familiar anyways...Liking the model too, by the way.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Loving the half finished product, The knee spikes look good actaully extra damage for those he charges. Good thinking on the vampire part, But the paint job looks kinda flat and black. Think ya could fix that some. (laughs) As for the head I am not sure but am intrested to know. It looks really good on him thats for sure. :konrad:

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
Maelstrom said:
hes looking good dude, now hurry up and paint him up :tongue: what shield are you going to be using on him?

and as for the cookie, my guess is the bare head from the khorne berserker sprue :)

Thanks mate. I've been painting him like crazy today, I've got some WIP pics coming up. ;)

ChaosJedi666 said:
Ooh, I have just got some Bret Knights to use (hehe, I'll have to get around to converting them a bit, but will post up some pics sometime xD ), but might have to get me some Chaos guys now...Can't see too much as its fairly black (hehe), but I think it looks like one from an Empire kit. Looks familiar anyways...Liking the model too, by the way.

I think that the Bret knights are more suitable for making black knights, because they are a bit skinnier. :) The Chaos ones are a lot bulkier and meaner looking. ;) And thank you. :)

Santawraith said:
Loving the half finished product, The knee spikes look good actaully extra damage for those he charges. Good thinking on the vampire part, But the paint job looks kinda flat and black. Think ya could fix that some. (laughs) As for the head I am not sure but am intrested to know. It looks really good on him thats for sure. :konrad:

Hehe yes, the black paintjob is not the best I've done so far... ;) But hopefully it will look better with a lick of paint. :)

I wont give away the answer about the head just yet... but here are the new WIP. I've painted more on him since this so I guess I have to upload more when I take them. :)

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1148.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1149.jpg

The face
ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1150.jpg

Oh lord, when I look at these WIP I kind of wish that I had taken some more as I was painting today... but I didnt... ah well more later

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Now that is better boo, I look forward to your finished product. I might even barrow parts of this idea myself for something else. Anyways you should check out the two horses we painted in my sylvannia plog. Keep up the great progress.

Rorschach

Ghoul
May 9, 2010
WOW, the red paint crumbling off his armour and barding.. how'd you do that?
It really caught my eye.
Like the heads tied to the horse as well, works quite well.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Colchester
Very nice mate, if im honest i think he would look better with some long flowing hair, still he has turned out rather well so far, i really like the chipped metal effect.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
He is coming along nicely boo, I might very well steal this idea now sorry its just turning out cool. A job well done especially with the armour.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
Rorschach said:
WOW, the red paint crumbling off his armour and barding.. how'd you do that?
It really caught my eye.
Like the heads tied to the horse as well, works quite well.

Thank you very much :) The red was pretty simple, I started with a base coat of dheneb stone and built up a dark red colour from that, leaving some dark red in the edges with every highlight. When I felt satisfied with the red I added some boltgun metal where I wanted the paint to be chipped off, and then some mithril silver to enhance the effect. And Voila! :D

logan054 said:
Very nice mate, if im honest i think he would look better with some long flowing hair, still he has turned out rather well so far, i really like the chipped metal effect.

Thanks. ;) I've thought about that too... but I'm not that confident with
green stuff to be honest... I might try it out and see if it looks like crap and re-think it. :)

Santawraith said:
He is coming along nicely boo, I might very well steal this idea now sorry its just turning out cool. A job well done especially with the armour.

Thanks a lot :) Go ahead and steal it. ;)

I've painted his shield now, but I'm not sure about it... I think that it might blend in too much with his armour... still not decided if I'm going to change it's colour. We'll see. This is how it looks:

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1158.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1157.jpg

I am going to make his skin more pale-looking. Anyone got a good tip on how to achieve that?

Cheers!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
I think the sheild completes him. It wouls stand to reason that his sheild would be of the same color as him. I think he looks great. But that is my humble opionon.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2010
Plymouth
Wow, rapid progress! :thumbsup: I agree that his skin should be a bit lighter, it could be the pic but to my crumbling eyes it seems similar to the colour of the horse flesh and by making it lighter it will pop out more. How to do it, i dont know, how have you painted it so far? Im glad you changed the tail aswell. The red and chipped metal effect is really well done and the whole thing is coming on great. Good work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu