• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Maelstrom

Skeleton
Sep 12, 2009
Wolverhampton
thats some quick painting :)

hes looking great dude, love the damage on the armour, my favourite part has got to be free hand on the shield really makes him pop :)

Rorschach

Ghoul
May 9, 2010
Boo said:
Thank you very much :) The red was pretty simple, I started with a base coat of dheneb stone and built up a dark red colour from that, leaving some dark red in the edges with every highlight. When I felt satisfied with the red I added some boltgun metal where I wanted the paint to be chipped off, and then some mithril silver to enhance the effect. And Voila! :D

So you just mimick the chips with your brush?
I need to try that out myself (think I'm going to look for a tutorial though XD).

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
The far north, near northrend
Santawraith said:
I think the sheild completes him. It wouls stand to reason that his sheild would be of the same color as him. I think he looks great. But that is my humble opionon.

Yes, I think that too. It was something that was sorely missed. :) And now I agree with you, I'll keep the shield as it is. Thanks for the input.

Nikostratus said:
Wow, rapid progress! :thumbsup: I agree that his skin should be a bit lighter, it could be the pic but to my crumbling eyes it seems similar to the colour of the horse flesh and by making it lighter it will pop out more.

Thanks! :D Yes... I should and will be. It's not the same colour as the horse, it's just the pic. ;) And maybe your eyes. :tongue:

Nikostratus said:
How to do it, i dont know, how have you painted it so far? Im glad you changed the tail aswell. The red and chipped metal effect is really well done and the whole thing is coming on great. Good work.

Damn... ;) well, so far I've painted the him first with a mix of skullwhite and elfflesh, then a wash of devlan mud, then a pure elf flesh highlight and another wash.. but I think I need to go over the head with some whiteish colour. Thanks again. :)

Maelstrom said:
thats some quick painting :)

hes looking great dude, love the damage on the armour, my favourite part has got to be free hand on the shield really makes him pop :)

Yes, I took a whole day and just went bananas. Thanks mate. :)

Rorschach said:
So you just mimick the chips with your brush?
I need to try that out myself (think I'm going to look for a tutorial though XD).

Yes. :) Thats what I do. Go ahead and look it up. If you can't find anyone I might make a tutorial. :)

Update:
Have been contemplating his head... going to go over it again today to make him paler. Also... I've built two more riders... oh noes! :D

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
And picture update (I split the post in to two because otherwise it would be huge):

For those who guessed on the head... It's a Khorne Berserker head. Yay! Internet cookie for Maelstrom!

And the knight is now about 90% done. Just need basing and some minor touch ups. What do you think about his face now btw?

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1162.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1161.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1160.jpg

Cheers guys!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
the face looks great a very paled death like visiage. Good luck in the gollden bat and thanks for a wonderful trip with you on your painting and converting of this vampiric knight of blood.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks guys. This is the very last WIP of my Kastellan (which has been my vamp in my recent 1000 pts games.. ;) )

All I need to do now is to take a pic of him with some cool terrain or with some better light and background. :) We shall see.

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1173.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_1172.jpg

Cheers!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Looking great there boo, but where is his freinds. I know blood dragons are fearsome fighters, but with compainions they are unstopable.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks mate! :)

Well his friends are on the way, I don't think I have time to finish them for the Golden Bat, but they will be done in a not so far future. 4 more Blood knights in a week? Thats madness! :D or is it?

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
If you painted like me and my wife it isnt madness. Its reality. Just think after your devotion to the blood knights in creating them. How much they will be devote fallowers who shall crush your enemy. Just a random thought it is, I look forward to seeing the whole cav in the future.

logan054

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Colchester
This has come along very well, the only part of the model that really sticks out as a bit off is the head, regardless of this its still a nice blood knight model, it will be cool to see a whole unit of them done, makes me want to get started and make a unit of my own blood knights :suck:

sea.man

Grave Guard
Dec 22, 2009
Wroclaw, Poland
have you considered adding rust to the armour? To make it look better you could also highlight and shade the armour a bit.

regards,
sea.man :konrad:

TobinRoss89

Wight King
Jul 2, 2009
Arlington Tx
sea.man said:
have you considered adding rust to the armour? To make it look better you could also highlight and shade the armour a bit.

regards,

When I think of blood dragons I dont see them as the type of warriors that would let there equipment get rusted. I see them taking great pride in keeping all of there weapons and armor in tip top condition.

sea.man

Grave Guard
Dec 22, 2009
Wroclaw, Poland
TobinRoss89 said:
sea.man said:

regards,

When I think of blood dragons I dont see them as the type of warriors that would let there equipment get rusted. I see them taking great pride in keeping all of there weapons and armor in tip top condition.
This may be true and I see your point, but this particular one doesn`t seem much care about it - his armour is very heavily weathered and damaged.

regards,

Brian Mage

Skeleton
Mar 18, 2010
Boo, that stuff is awesome.
i really like the metalics on the Kastellan, and some excellent use of zombie bits (the two heads on the barding!)

good stuff!

uglybug

Grave Guard
Aug 14, 2010
NJ
Love it!
As far as the comment about blood gaurds keeping their armour in better shape, Im sure this guy will clean up before the next parade but for now he is too busy slaughtering the enemy and collecting heads.

The other thing I like about the armour chipping and weathering is that it reminds me of the old lead soldiers I collected. Once in a while you would find some that kids actually played with instead of the typical well preserved brittians.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu