• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Boo's Warriors of Chaos

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Hey.

As my Vampire army has reached 1500 pts I felt like changing army and paint something different from zombies and skellies. So for the past weeks I have been planning and working on my new army, warriors of chaos! The reason I went for them is simply that they are freaking super vikings hell bent on mayhem and destruction, at least in my mind. ;) So I have planned a 1000 pts army and the basis of this will be made up by the warriors of chaos battalion.

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0408.jpg

:Vampire1:

Have somewhat idea of what I will add to the stuff that you get in the box, but I must say, it is great! The amount of stuff you get, it's just awesome.
5 knights, 12 warriors, 20 marauders, 10 hounds. I have not got much painted, just some marauders, 5 hounds and a few warriors. But I only have pictures of one warrior so far, so I'll throw that up to begin with.

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0334.jpg

I know that I'm not the greatest painter out there, and this army I wanted to be something that I could begin gaming with almost straight away. So it needed to be really quick and easy to paint, so I came up with a colour scheme that is dirt simple. I'm really happy with the result, as the amount of time spent on that model is next to nothing.

I will try to give them snow bases using baking soda and pva-glue. I think it will work out quite nicely. :vampire2:

Well, there we have it. The start of my brand new army.

Cheers!

maglash

Zombie
This looks nice! I think this warrior is based on an golden rule of painting: If your painting scheme is dark and simple, the colours you will apply will look very, very good.

Gruesome... :konrad: :inaction:

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
He is painted in muted, earthly and minimalistic tones, and I like muted, earthly and minimalistic tones, so I guess I øike this model XD.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks for the kind words! :) They are indeed painted very minimalistic, I've only used 6(8) colours on them. And what I have used are these:
Chaos Black prime.
Khemri Brown on all the leather parts such as, boots, cape...
Beneb Stone on all other parts that are not metal, such as the skulls in the capes, skulls hanging from the banner, the horns...
Mithril Silver on everything that is metal.
Elf flesh on the... err fleshy parts.
(Scab red, on the banner and adeptus battle grey on the shields)
And then a wash of devlan mud.
Done!

I've completed the command group on the warriors, they are really awesome models I must say. :)

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0409.jpg

I think that the snow bases turned out pretty good too. What do you guys think?

And addition to this, I also got two hounds completed, with three more in the works.

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0411.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0413.jpg

And these are really quick to paint, as they have no metal on them! And for the effort put in to them, they also turned out great in my opinion! :)

As I stated earlier I also had some Marauders finished, and here they are:

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0414.jpg

The pic is a little bit out of focus, I can see now when I'm uploading them, but I'll take a new picture when I have more marauders finished! Got two more almost done, just missing some shields. I'll finish them as well as the hounds this weekend.

So that's for now... :)

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
The Choas warriors look pretty decent, though I think they are perhaps a little too simple for may tastes. I agree that the doggy turneed our really well though.

I like how the snow turned out, so that's just baking soda?

Like your paint scheme, I tend to favor the simpler when it comes to chaos.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks for the comments.

I understand if you feel so Disciple, but I really wanted an army that is quick and simple to paint, and given the time I spend on the models, the result is, in my opinion, good. Not great, but still good. :)

@ Heinrich of Mousillon: Yup, first paint the base white and the sides grey, cover it with pva glue, not too thick or else it will look bad when you add the baking soda. :)

Got all the hounds done now and some more marauders will add them after the weekend. ;)

Ghouly

Liche
True Blood
Boo your Paint scheme is excellent for a undivided force and if you feel that you would like to add some more character to your army just add some god specific unites

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
I like the bases a lot; it really looks like deep snow should. Though I'd like to see the surface broken by dark grey, almost black rocks every once in a while. Also i think you could do a little more work on the warriors horns, so that they look a bit lighter like those of that hound.

Looks great though :)

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Love the paint job/color scheme on the warriors and hounds and marauders. They look like real world warriors.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you guys like them! :)

The Dark Sheep said:
I like the bases a lot; it really looks like deep snow should. Though I'd like to see the surface broken by dark grey, almost black rocks every once in a while. Also i think you could do a little more work on the warriors horns, so that they look a bit lighter like those of that hound.

That's a great idea with the rocks, because all white bases can become somewhat boring if the monotony isnt broken here and there. Also, I will go back over the horns with some white, good point TDS.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Nice work there Boo!

I too really like the colour scheme choices, they are very realistic.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks Bishop! :)

So a really small update: Got some more warriors done plus the hounds and some more marauders, but wont be able to upload any pics until next year, due to the holiday season!

So stay tuned! ;)

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
Boo said:
...wont be able to upload any pics until next year, due to the holiday season!

When you put it that way it sounds so far away... Ah, well. i can wait a couple of weeks.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Okay, have had a hectic new year with some major exams and stuff, haven't really had time to do any painting, but fear not! I bring huge amounts of pictures for those who want to see!

Finished my first group of hounds:

IMG_0543.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0544.jpg

I know that something strange has happened to the bases, but I will have that taken care of... some day.. :cool:

Finished half of my marauders:

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0537.jpg

And the same here, some of the bases are messed up in some strange way...

and finished half of my warriors:

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0538.jpg

So there you go! I have a champion in the works right now, might be finished with him tomorrow! :)

there we go! Thats it for now... :)

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
I don't really see a problem with the bases. It looks pretty much like real snow to me.

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
Good job Boo! My 2nd VC army ended up being winter themed, so I know how hard it is to work snow themed bases. You did a better job than I did, as it looks pretty convincing. Using the rocks, and the "not flat/level" approach really made your bases work!

It also really works with the 'cold metal' feel of the armor. It really does give that sense of winter. The nice benefit is the dark red actually stands out very nicely when doing so, as do the skin tones on the marauders.

Ugrush

Skeleton
I like the warhounds really well! I'm a fan of actually painting up units with the marks that I'm using on them in my own WoC army. Got any idea of preferred god, or just going with an alround dark chaotic palette?

TMS

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Looks pretty great to me. I especially like your Warriors - those models really are fantastically cool and your paint job does them true justice. :)

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Thanks guys. The thing with the snow is, I've not been very careful placing the snow in some places and it has come off, so some bases look terrible IRL. But that might not show that well in the photos. ;)

Got a pic of my champion coming up sometime later today or tomorrow :)

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
So as promised, pics of my finished chaos champion! This fellow is huge! Towering even the mighty warriors he is one mean son of a gun! A perfect model to represent my general on 1000 pts.

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0556.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0553.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0554.jpg

ai222.photobucket.com_albums_dd189_ododen_IMG_0555.jpg

This mightyman was really fun to paint, because I spent some more time on him than on his minions. :) So there we go, next up is... some more hounds perhaps? :) Oh the joy...

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
He looks great. I think I can spot a demon face that missed out on the red paint job (on his thigh). I think some very modest additions of gold/bronze wouldn't look out of place by the way.