• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Another liche and a zombie wedding present!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Regarding the Xerxes idea, how about a near-naked savage orc with lots of bones in his skin as piercings? His mount could be some kinda platform being carried by a wave of snotlings or goblins.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Checking in on one of my favourite plogs, good too see things have been chugging along.

Love the ghoul King and in particular the queen (she would fit in well with the ladies in my evil forest I think). I remember setting a ghoul queen challenge back in Santa's time running the 'Turning the World to Darkness' monthly comps. She would have taken the prize for sure.

Nagash is looking like he will be something special. :thumbsup:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 I need a big mostly nacked orc, so a Savage Orc makes the most sense, I searched a lot and didn't find any better mini for that. And I would love to mount him on a platform, only if it wasn't impossible from the gaming point of view - Orcs don't make this stuff ;) It's strange how much it matters to me when I play perhaps three battles a year :rolleyes: I think I'll magnetize him and make him able to ride many things. A project for the far future ;)

@robtion Good to see you back here xD Yeah, the things are progressing slowly forward. Glad you like the Ghoul Queen - and I remember that one particular contest, probably the first I noticed here ;)

@Eyeless Thanks for stopping by :) I will try to keep it up ;)

On the topic of Nagash - the base along with the skirt and all the additional decorations are almost done - I will post the results tomorrow. A LOT of things is going on there. Besides that, the greenstuffing phase of the cloak is also done - all that remains now to finish the conversion part is to glue the rest of the skeletons to the cloak. I hate cleaning mould lines off skeletons :frown:

In the meantime I bought THIS fun little thing, and began a little "rebasing" project. I thought it was too late to incorporate the feel of a big old coniferous forest (a "Bór" in my language) to my minis, but adding these to bases is easy and works well towards adding some slavic accents ;) Below are the examples of how it works on the Terrorgheist. Now I need to start adding more tree stumps and deadwood to my next minis to make it more proper.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Frw3tLkv.jpg&hash=dbcc9d799a05f42c1249ce3a5479c1e9

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine I love the basing, the Bor thing really adds some more character to the theme you've got going on here. Brilliant swamp effect too. Some simple 20x20 fillers would work amongst your units, I guess, rather than rebasing stuff.

I like the sounds of your Nagash project's progression, looking forward to see it.

I'm feeling your pain!

Regarding the orc platform idea, I think it could look 'Orc-y' enough if you kept it fairly simple, like using something like the base part of the snotling wagon or a chariot with a few decorations here and there. You could have it being pulled by boars or carried by goblins/snotlings. Sounds a little like the Skaven's war litter but I think orcs would bully lesser beings into doing this kinda stuff too.

Eyeless

Wight King
Np man. always looking for good and inspirational plogs =D couldn't help but notice this one. And i'll be keeping an eye out for that nagash. Love the Bor bdw. looks really good with that swamp.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Thanks! I am preparing slowly for a big project of doing some @Mad 'At 's-inspired zombies on various bases, there I would do some things with fillers and whatnot. But still, you're right, I need to add some more trees to my units. And regarding the orcs, thanks for the ideas :) I still have a lot of time to think about it.

@Eyeless And I am always looking to inspire people here xD When I was making it, I wasn't intending to use that swamp in a forest scenery, but it really looks nice.

@ObliviJohn Thanks! More is coming up slowly :)

Ok, the base is finally done, only the cape remains. I did a few photos of some details.
About the tree stumps - I remember the method Farmer used, with some cheap plastic trees and I really liked it, but first I tried to use some sticks found under local trees. The wood part looks great, but it lacked a good bark. Even more greenstuffing! I struggled a bit with sculpting it myself until I tried using some pieces of cork - also pictured - as a sculpting tool. So far it looks great, I hope it will also look rough enough when painted. Other than that, there's Alkonosts, big sculptures and the little ones flowing around. And skeletons of course.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FjjKkvJU.jpg&hash=ead9c15e22b950766af49c19773b4bed

I will post the cape when it's done. Thanks for stopping by :)

Very excited to see how Nagash turns out, I really like the concept artwork!

Although with the way the bones on his cloak are sculpted, they maybe resemble the wrong kind of "bones"...

The Accursed Dildo Doomcloak

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine The base is looking wicked now. Good call on the tree trunks, I think if they look good enough unpainted they'll generally look better when finished. I like the Alkonosts you've got made up here too. How long do they take you to make?

I've been brainstorming conversion ideas (using Mad 'At's zombies as a reference), to add some much-needed variety amongst the Mantic Zs! It'll be cool to see what we both come up with.

Looking forward to seeing the finished assembly!

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@benvoliothefirst don't you worry about that, that was only a model - but truth to be told, I understand how one could get such an impression ;) on the completed version full skeletons are crawling on his back and this doesn't look like dildos in any way ;)

@Farmer7574 Alkonosts took some time, but as it is with greenstuffing, most of it was waiting for the previous stage to harden. 1. Set up the head on a wire and sculpt the main body. 2. Tail. 3. Wings. 4. Set them up on the sculptures. 5. Legs. 6. Bit of fluff around the legs. So, six days at least. The sculpting itself was surprisingly quick - the longest were probably the wings, it took me about 30minutes to sculpt all 4 of them.
And as for the zombies, I am also gathering ideas (for I have the bits already) and waiting for a cheap box of zombies to come up ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Okay! The conversion part is officialy finished! It was long and mostly filled with waiting. I guess my next big conversions will be similiar.... First, the cape itself, with the real skeletons on it and not those sausage-plasticine-dildos as earlier:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FzWflFXF.jpg&hash=ff802975720c8d36c01ba62f29cedea7

And the whole completed thing, with the base already sanded. Now it's time to wash him and begin with the painting.
While building him for this photo I noticed that I completely forgot about the sword sheath when I was setting the shape of the cape - as of now, it won't fit there. Oops! I could fit it on the other side, but I decided to leave it out altogether - he looks good now and I can't be really arsed to do more stuff ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fbo0finC.jpg&hash=9cad1b35271f32673ca1dfbe80bb5bf8

Thanks for everyone for the input during the work on him.
Also, during the last days I was watching Let's Play's from Witcher 3 and I was completely adored with the Crones characeters there - just the thing I needed for inspirations about my army. Just the right mix of slavic horror folk tales as I am searching for and a nice take on the Baba Yaga tales.

Leithel

Grave Guard
Oh wow man that's amazing. Don't really know what else to say on that. Is it all glued together or just blue tacked for now so you can get into all the parts for painting? I can't imagine how you're going to paint it but I sure am looking forward to you posting some of the results.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine What a wicked conversion, there are so many cool things going on that I'm not sure what to look at first.

The helmet/hat conversion has really worked out and it reminds me a little of your hexwraiths' inspiration art.

That cape is awesome! It must have taken a long time to do all of those skeletons, not to mention sculpt the entire thing. A bit of a shame about the sheath but it's nothing big as he looks like so much of a badass that he wouldn't even put his sword away for breakfast. It would be cool if the skeleton kit came with some extended arms with hands open & reaching out, they'd have been perfect for your cape. Nonetheless, you've done an awesome job on it!

Nice work as always, it's going to look great painted up. I second @Leithel and am waiting for some cool WIP shots.

ObliviJohn

Vampire wood elf
Wow, that one's sick! Well done on the conversion. I was wondering how you were going to pull it off after the first draft.
Looking forward to seeing this beast painted at your standard. :)
That's some extra weight to that poor swirly plastic carrying him around. :D
Nice to see you're back in the hobby business.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Thanks guys!

@Leithel It's just temporarily tacked together - even when many things are separate, it's a nightmare to reach some places. I started painting the base today with black paint (I always do it at the beginning, as it's the messiest)... it was difficult ;) I don't know how will I manage the more precise things on the base ;)

@Farmer7574 Oh yes, it did took a lot of time - gluing the skeletons of course and shaving ridiculous amounts of excessive green stuff to get the right shape ;) There are some arms in the set that are pointing somewhere - and one of them is really pointing away from the cape, maybe it's not visible. Other than that, every single hand is in the 'holding' position and I really like it, because I could make them hold each other and grab the edges of the cape. When I'll glue the cape I'll add more skeletons to make them actually hold the pauldrons.

At first I was going to post the finished version without any WIPs, but I'll see how it'll all turn out. Maybe some teasers xD Besides making the new verdigris tutorial and using him as an model for it of course ;)

@ObliviJohn Thanks! I hope I can still do freehands and I remember how to paint my version of verdigris. The plastic is surprisingly stable so it shouldn't be a problem, even with the cape - the base is another thing - with all the sand, milliput and other scenery it's got very heavy ;)

Eyeless

Wight King
in a week or so that i haven't been active, i can't believe you did this much progress! This is easily becoming the best Nagash conversion i've ever seen!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Eyeless The progress wasn't by any means quick, but it's nice to see that you found it fast xD Big thanks for the praise - but I also think there are not many Nagash conversions ;)

While I was doing a tutorial about my way of doing patina on minis I took a lot of photos, so why not post a little bit of progress here? Nagash's armor with the patina and gold accents on the crown done and the skeletons on the cape. Bone and metal are the first things I paint, seeing as I drybrush them heavily and everything gets messy ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FVfQhOtL.jpg&hash=996b5bc90c4e1c70f30f669cf0f9a43f

ObliviJohn

Vampire wood elf
Wow, you never fail to impress. I was wondering how that helmet would turn out and it exceeds my expectations. Nice to see some wip pics =) Seeing the whole model done at once might be too much for us to recover from. ^^

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Quick work mate, your Nagash is looking very impressive so far. The heavy use of verdigris bronze looks great and I'm a big fan of that living skeletal cloak. Nice work!

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
This is just amazing, as usual ;)

Never seen such a take on Nagash, but you are really making him awesome. Especially love the base, but the cloak and crown are great too.

Paintjob looks solid so far. Your verdigris have always been very good but you've certainly taken it up a notch further on this one.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Sessioni

Grave Guard
@Borgnine I could learn a lot from you, if I ever get some time to make the Nito conversion for my Vampire Counts army :) You should enter Golden Daemon -competition (if that thing is around anymore), you'd earn the sword.

@Sessioni Yes 100%! A nito conversion is something I would absolutely love to see. @Borgnine That's a really cool conversion. I'm not a fan of the new kind of aesthetic GW have given their new undead units like Nagash, the Mortarchs, and the Morghasts, but the way you've changed it makes it look far better, in my opinion. I'm massively looking forward to seeing this one finished. Keep up the great work, as always! :)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Sessioni Golden Demon is probably off limits for me, as I used quite a lot of minis from GW's competitor on his cloak xD I think I'd like to try some other competition - but seeing as I follow the competition scene and the top painters, I know I still has a lot to learn. It won't stop me from trying to learn more though :) Very big thanks for so much belief in me xD

@Orlaster I also doesn't like the new minis very much, I like to think about them as Age of Sigmar minis released early, especially the big winged guys with comically big weapons (also a staple of AoS, everything is named similiarly). I still had to have Nagash though ;) I tried my best to make him look different and I very much appreciate that you like it :)